List Mgmt. 2018 Draft, Free Agency & Trade Hypotheticals thread, Part II: Nothing happened!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep agreed.

Bailey Smith has reportedly been adamant about not wanting to leave Victoria. It's one thing for Scrimshaw to live and play interstate for two years and then decide it wasn't good for his football or his mental health. But how dare Smith play the go-home card when he hadn't even actually left home yet. Should be grateful he's even being considered for a career that thousands of others could only dream of. Do these kids wanna be footballers or be tourist ambassadors for their respective states?

Can't agree at all.
Why shouldn't he make his feelings clear? Better the clubs know now, than later.
We all have the right to choose where we'd like to live and pursue our future. If that doesn't satisfy the needs of 2 or 3 AFL clubs then it's their bad luck IMHO. They are free to choose him or not now, knowing what they know - a far better scenario.
Scrimshaw was a shockingly poor selection reading back on what was known of him even prior to the draft.

Who said anything about screwing us? Gold Coast have as much right to pick Blakey as we do. If they think he's the best tall in this year's draft (which alongside Lukosius I think he is) then who could begrudge them doing so? The onus would then be on the Swans whether to match it or not.
I'd consider a bid in the top 5 (knowing full well we'll have to match) to be screwing us.
But that's just me.
Just about everyone has King(s) ahead of Blakey. At least one of them anyway.

Getting a bit exciting now, draft week and all... I hope we grab Blakey at 8 or above (a fair deal) a dynamic mid, and a 195cm+ KPD type.

I'd consider a bid in the top 5 (knowing full well we'll have to match) to be screwing us.
But that's just me.

Getting a bit exciting now, draft week and all... I hope we grab Blakey at 8 or above (a fair deal) a dynamic mid, and a 195cm+ KPD type.

I want a 188cm+ mid that is built like a Tiger Tank.

Cheers, was about to post this article for everyone to read, provides a list of who we've nominated, which is a lot of players! Its amazing that when no team wants a player how mysteriously there is no longer any go home factors or unwillingness to go interestate.
I’m inclined to think he’ll be taken as a rookie considering he’s nominated.

Twomey's phantom draft is up. He has Blakey being bidded on at pick 8.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-20/callum-twomeys-2018-phantom-draft

He also said this

Draft picks: 26, 33, 38, 39, 40, 84 (likely to use four selections)

The Swans' later picks will likely be shaped by how early a bid comes on Nick Blakey, so they have been putting in some work on players in the second half of the draft and where they might fit. One of those is Harry Reynolds, a late-season bolter who played at Brighton Grammar and impressed in the midfield. He's a chance to land at the Swans. Tough South Australian midfielder Tom Sparrow could also be considered, while the speedy Zac Foot is also a chance late to add some dash off a wing. Geelong tall Charlie Sprague missed a lot of this season with injury but could be a value pick later in the draft.

He also said this

The Swans' later picks will likely be shaped by how early a bid comes on Nick Blakey, so they have been putting in some work on players in the second half of the draft and where they might fit. One of those is Harry Reynolds, a late-season bolter who played at Brighton Grammar and impressed in the midfield. He's a chance to land at the Swans. Tough South Australian midfielder Tom Sparrow could also be considered, while the speedy Zac Foot is also a chance late to add some dash off a wing. Geelong tall Charlie Sprague missed a lot of this season with injury but could be a value pick later in the draft.

I told you Foot will be a gun.

Anything from 7 onwards will mean we more or less keep the three picks in a row 38, 39, 40 (before sliding / other academy bids).

7 or 8 is the sweet spot. Anything in the spots after that will just generate a pick we almost certainly won’t use anyway. That is unless he falls a decent way (say 14-15+) to generate a pick of worth that we could future trade or bundle to trade up, but I can’t see that happening.

4 would see 38 downgrade to around 62.
5 would see 38 downgrade to around 52.
6 would see 38 downgrade to around 45.
7 would see 38 slide to 39 but our 39 would go up to 38 so same effectively.

The next lot don’t use 38 at all.
8 would create around pick 69
9 would create around pick 63
10 would create around pick 58
12 would create around pick 50
16 would create around pick 40.

All before sliding / academy picks.

Last edited:

He also said this

sparrow, foot and sprague : i would be happy with that. reynolds kicking looked very suspect for a half back.

He also said this

No consideration of the other Swans Academy players?
Rookie at best??

No consideration of the other Swans Academy players?
Rookie at best??

I don't see any of the Swans academy players outside Blakey getting picked up in he National Draft. Bailey Stewart and Sam Wicks both had good games at NEAFL level and I wouldn't be surprised if we looked at them as Rookie options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it seems we have the potential to trade picks, including our first, when a bid is made on blakey and then use later picks on the points.

Draft talk ! I have it from a close source that St Scum have paid for Max Kings ACL op, against the rules .
Further to the Kings , the family were wined and dined by Dewy and Co on the Coast and were told thank you , wonderful hospitality , but over my dead body that the boys will play up here . That backs up my call that the Blues will trade to get 2 picks and GC will get Walsh.

Draft talk ! I have it from a close source that St Scum have paid for Max Kings ACL op, against the rules .
Further to the Kings , the family were wined and dined by Dewy and Co on the Coast and were told thank you , wonderful hospitality , but over my dead body that the boys will play up here . That backs up my call that the Blues will trade to get 2 picks and GC will get Walsh.

What possibly benefit would it be to St Kilda to pay for King's ACL operation? I mean it isn't like there was an option of him not getting the operation and St Kilda stepped in and saved the day.

it seems we have the potential to trade picks, including our first, when a bid is made on blakey and then use later picks on the points.

We can trade picks now and on draft night too. However, once a bid is made we have to match it with the picks we have on hand at the time the bid is made, there is no trading of picks in between the bid being made and our decision to match it or not.

There is no way on earth that Blakey is going to be picked ahead of Lukosis. He will be the GC's tall selection. They will go small at selection 3- probably Rankine or Connor Rozee. Smith I recon would be more in the mix for pick 6 not picks 2 or 3.

I think they’ll go tall with both their picks. Lukosius then Blakey. Don’t forget they lost the key pillars of their spine this trade period.

But that's just me.

It’s not screwing us because they wouldn’t be doing it to screw us. They’d be doing it because they rate Blakey more than King, which is a fair perspective and they have every right to go with what’s best for them.

The AFL needs to shut them down for their own sake!

I think they’ll go tall with both their picks. Lukosius then Blakey. Don’t forget they lost the key pillars of their spine this trade period.

They will want one of the key midfielders. Don’t need two talls. Midfielders win matches the waynthe game is played right now

I want a 188cm+ mid that is built like a Tiger Tank.
189cm

220px-Josh_Dunkley_2018.2.jpg

If the GC see these boys as the best options for them, they should pick them anyway and call the bluff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back