Rumour 12 Sydney Swans players self-reported for illicit drug use after the 2012 flag

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
In late breaking news, West Coast supporter gets ultra defensive at the suggestion that the Eagles may have had their own drug scandals in the past.

An innocent bystander was heard to utter: "Comparing the damage of Sydney self-reporting to what happened at West Coast is like comparing the damage caused by my 4 year old's water pistol to that of detonating a thermonuclear weapon in the middle of Manhattan Island"

We will bring you all the updates as they arise.
Where was I ultra defensive, all I referred to was your misuse of the term irony. Your poor analogy proves you still don't get it.
I'll dumb it down for you.
If I made a comment such as "Willo Tree is an intelligent and thoughtful poster" when I really thought you were a clueless moron that would be me using irony.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Where was I ultra defensive, all I referred to was your misuse of the term irony. Your poor analogy proves you still don't get it.
If I made a comment such as "Willo Tree is an intelligent and thoughtful poster" when I really thought you were a clueless moron that would be me using irony.
:cool: Not really to me that's sarcasm. The difference is Irony has a critical element of humor. Sarcasm, and I use it a lot, is henerally more contemptuous.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
You don't think the OP was attempting irony? Either in your 'cut n paste' definition, or English usage? Fits both pretty well if you ask me. Anyway, you seem to be very upset, so I'll leave it here. I posted some humour which you obviously took serious offence at, so I apologise.

Now we know why Bud was keen to join Swans after the 2012 GF.
I said the same thing to a Sydney mate. Went down just about as well as when a drunk and high driver hit his parked car (which also got us onto another topic).

avignon

Senior List
Oct 8, 2004
Other Teams
ESSENDON
Drug culture at all clubs?
Totally wrong only at other clubs
( insert club of choice) would never do that
Collingwood won a flag in 2010 and swearing by the 'benefits' of going annually to Colorado for high altitude training. Then, despite their success, they suddenly halted that yearly pilgrimage where men came back muscled up (cue the famous Buckley photo). Daddy: " why did they stop if it was so successful?" :rolleyes: Dunno son, maybe they just ran out of money.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
They're mostly happy to tolerate drug use when it's

1) not performance enhancing
2) it doesn't involve multiple players with methamphetmaine habits who spend their weekends hanging around with Perth's most notorious bikies.

It's weird how some West Coast supporters just see the mid-naughties drug issues at the club as part of some bay 13 tit for tat s**t. Several guys had their lives completely ruined.
Tell me about it the club was a basket case then thank goodness for Shannon Hurn and Darren glass and Adam Simpson totally new culture post 2007

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney
But Buddy didnt even arrive at the Swans until 2014

View attachment 582485
Exactly.

The 12 were:
Simon Peter
Andrew
James
John
Philip
Bartholomew
Matthew Levi
Thomas
James the Less
Thaddeus
Simon Zelotes
Judas Iscariot
Matthias

These 12 supported the coming of Buddy in 2014.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras

latest

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
They're mostly happy to tolerate drug use when it's

1) not performance enhancing
2) it doesn't involve multiple players with methamphetmaine habits who spend their weekends hanging around with Perth's most notorious bikies.

It's weird how some West Coast supporters just see the mid-naughties drug issues at the club as part of some bay 13 tit for tat s**t. Several guys had their lives completely ruined.

And here we are joking about Swans players allegedly doing the same thing!

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
In late breaking news, West Coast supporter gets ultra defensive at the suggestion that the Eagles may have had their own drug scandals in the past.

An innocent bystander was heard to utter: "Comparing the damage of Sydney self-reporting to what happened at West Coast is like comparing the damage caused by my 4 year old's water pistol to that of detonating a thermonuclear weapon in the middle of Manhattan Island"

We will bring you all the updates as they arise.
Now your demonstrating an example of hyperbole.

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
Amateurs. Real drug cultures don't just self-report, they explode in moments of public madness.

I don't think anyone really cares that most of the the Swans premiership team were drug users. The AFL shouldn't even bother with the farce that is testing for recreational drugs outside of match days.
Well as I recall the whole recreational drug code was foisted on the AFL as part of Johnnie Howard's war on drugs, which he in turn had lumbered on him by the Americans. I mean what other occupation has mandatory drug testing imposed on them when their job doesn't impact on public safety? Journalists? Politicians? Talk back shock jocks? Not bloody likely.

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Tell me about it the club was a basket case then thank goodness for Shannon Hurn and Darren glass and Adam Simpson totally new culture post 2007

Bullshit.....it may have improved but totally new is a fantasy.
Taking recreational drugs is the done thing for a large number of AFL players, particularly in the off-season.
They are young, fit, seemingly bulletproof & have high disposable income.
IE; the demographic that smash recreational drugs.
FACT - A number of Westcoast players were openly doing lines of coke whilst celebrating at The Emerson after this years Grand Final.

Back