Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD EDIT: Sign the official club petition here - https://www.change.org/p/allow-port...ed_by_id=1b00d7d0-b04a-11ea-9250-effed2346b39

FBAC6E73-7DEA-41FB-8B49-8642646B3812.jpeg

Twitter:https://twitter.com/PrisonBars2020
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bringbackthebars/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bringbackthebars
Petition:Link above

If you have any queries please contact one of the following people. PrisonBars2020 bomberclifford Doctor Feel Jonts Alyx RussellEbertHandball MitchIn3D SgtSchulz No21sTightManPerm chiwigi

Dear Club, it has now been over 4 years since we last wore our most famous and traditional guernsey in the AFL, to many of us Port Adelaide fans this is unacceptable. Whilst we recognise the unique set of circumstances that led to our step up to the national league, we now believe it is time to correct the mistake made in not using the Wharf Pylons/Prison Bars in black and white as our main guernsey.

To this end we request that the club start campaigning for the reinstatement of our heritage. This could be done as the other successful campaigns to assert our true identity were done. That is a resolute, respectful and consistent message to all who are not Port Adelaide as exemplified in the One Club and We Are Port Adelaide slogans. Neither of these will have their full effect until we reflect our true heritage in the most visible manner.

The club needs to make a clear and unequivocal statement regarding its stance on the issue something akin to:

We the Port Adelaide Football Club believe it is our right to wear the Wharf Pylon (Prison Bar) design that served as our guernsey for 100 years (and a number of times in the AFL) as our main guernsey in the AFL.
We accept that there are obstacles to overcome, but we are dedicated to working with the AFL to find a solution to this problem and will resolutely and respectfully campaign for their reinstatement for the rest of our existence.
Until such time as this issue has been resolved, we shall continue to wear the Chevrons.

The arguments against the change from within the club are very weak and seem based on the ‘not the Magpies’ theory, this one has been debunked over and over and is reflected in our NTUA anthem. Fans who do not appreciate our history and heritage will not be there when times get tough.

Those on the board realise there is a large groundswell for this, yes we have a fantastic Guernsey in the chevrons, but it is still not the correct one…every Port fan feels this deep down.

From the outside it seems that Collingwood are the biggest hurdle, however as the league matures surely they now realise their fears were unfounded and would be happy to seek a diplomatic solution.

Last edited:
I voted “yes”, but also acceptable to me would be “Keep our existing home kit, but reserve the right to roll out the black and white prison bars on occasions we deem fit to wear them”.
Hence the zero obstacles part of the vote, ALLOW us to decide as a club, not Collingwood or Gil.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I'd like us to keep the black chevrons and introduce PBs.

Hate the idea of only wearing PBs for Showdowns. There's nothing special about them as an opponent that we need to wear a special strip against them.

When and where we wear each guernsey I'm not sure. Maybe change it up for day/night games or when there is a clash.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Poll question is flawed.

"Assuming there were no obstacles"

Well this will never happen. There is an obstacle, it is Collingwood. They wear the B&W stripes and as the club that donned them first they deserve to.

The AFL doesnt need 2 B&W striped teams. No one does. It's time to move on. Why do we need to be that 2nd team that wears it, we introduced teal and silver, it is time to move forward with them.
The prison bars are part of our incredible history that we're all so proud of, but they should only be used sparingly as a throwback guernsey.

Our jumper is the BiB Chevrons, and should remain as such. It is powerful, it is great looking, and it has a fantastic ability to interchange into other clash guernseys white, teal or silver/gray.

Proud of the past and prison bars, confident of the future and BiB.

I'd like us to keep the black chevrons and introduce PBs.

Hate the idea of only wearing PBs for Showdowns. There's nothing special about them as an opponent that we need to wear a special strip against them.

When and where we wear each guernsey I'm not sure. Maybe change it up for day/night games or when there is a clash.

If the shackles were taken off and we had a straight up vote for members, I'd happily go with the democratic solution. The big issue is that we have no say (either as a club or a fanbase) and this is unacceptable.

Poll question is flawed.

"Assuming there were no obstacles"

Well this will never happen. There is an obstacle, it is Collingwood. They wear the B&W stripes and as the club that donned them first they deserve to.

The AFL doesnt need 2 B&W striped teams. No one does. It's time to move on. Why do we need to be that 2nd team that wears it, we introduced teal and silver, it is time to move forward with them.
The prison bars are part of our incredible history that we're all so proud of, but they should only be used sparingly as a throwback guernsey.

Our jumper is the BiB Chevrons, and should remain as such. It is powerful, it is great looking, and it has a fantastic ability to interchange into other clash guernseys white, teal or silver/gray.

Proud of the past and prison bars, confident of the future and BiB.
The assumption has to be made to clarify the voting process, OTHERWISE 'It's too hard' becomes the debate instead of the guernsey.

Don't vote no because 'it's too hard', vote no if you don't want to wear the PB's.
#BarUp

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I voted “yes”, but also acceptable to me would be “Keep our existing home kit, but reserve the right to roll out the black and white prison bars on occasions we deem fit to wear them”.

Absolutely. We need alternative guernseys anyway to satisfy clash rules, so the Prison Bars co-existing with various Chevron guernseys makes perfect sense and satisfies everyone from Planet Teal mums to the Holy Ghost of Fos Williams.

#BarUp

Aug 16, 2009
Latvia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Absolutely. We need alternative guernseys anyway to satisfy clash rules, so the Prison Bars co-existing with various Chevron guernseys makes perfect sense and satisfies everyone from Planet Teal mums to the Holy Ghost of Fos Williams.

#BarUp

Talk me through these Planet Teal Mums

Magus

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
If the shackles were taken off and we had a straight up vote for members, I'd happily go with the democratic solution. The big issue is that we have no say (either as a club or a fanbase) and this is unacceptable.

We didn't have a say in 2013 and 2014 and they did it anyway. That turned out OK.

I just really wanna know where the club's negotiations with the AFL are at. Is there a chance we're waiting for our 150th anniversary to bring them out?

We didn't have a say in 2013 and 2014 and they did it anyway. That turned out OK.

I just really wanna know where the club's negotiations with the AFL are at. Is there a chance we're waiting for our 150th anniversary to bring them out?

The fact we have worn it several times shows the obstacle isn't real.

#BarUp

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How many people here own a Prison Bar guernsey? I’m sure plenty of us would’ve reflex-purchased the 2014 EF edition 12 seconds after it went on sale.

Maybe we should all #BarUp together (lol this is destined to become the next Red Bull joke) at the first home game as a show of support.

At the Bar of course.

Magus

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
The fact we have worn it several times shows the obstacle isn't real.

#BarUp

The proposal to wear the 1914 heritage guernsey against Carlton was rejected so we had to wear it in the sanfl instead.
Without the negative publicity caused by Richmond not having a proper clash guernsey for the Elim Final, wearing the bars then probably wouldnt have eventuated either.

I think it is possible, but there will be a lot of resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back