Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, leunberger couldn’t handle the step up into seniors, he knew his body was finished. Clarke is a solid back up but I think Draper will get his chances next year if opportunity presents itself.

Mids and small forwards should be our focus... speed kills

Draper is something special. He's an absurd talent.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Campbell has yet to show he is AFL standard - There are no world-beaters in the ruck at the Bulldogs and he still struggled to play regular AFL footy - I am not too excited about Clarke but he has proven to be AFL standard, though you could question his durability.
Sorry Yaco, it was a joke mate

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Needed another forward/ruck. Very important role. Only had McKernan and Daniher on the list. I slso think Daniher might be cooked again this year.

Needed another forward/ruck. Very important role. Only had McKernan and Daniher on the list. I slso think Daniher might be cooked again this year.
Stewart can play that role as can Hooker in a pinch.

Was he a goalie?
Sure was. Started in goal but moved to centre back for a couple years I think before he switched to footy.

Thank god we've got him, bloke is a freak

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Sure was. Started in goal but moved to centre back for a couple years I think before he switched to footy.

Thank god we've got him, bloke is a freak
Sounds like the perfect preparation as far as playing soccer goes. Good with ball in hand and using to running around the midfield.

Be nice to see some diving smothers from him as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-28/free-agency-ladder-the-shock-teams-hit-hardest

"Having acquired Brendon Goddard in 2012, James Gwilt in 2014 and Matthew Leuenberger a year later, the Bombers can lay claim to being free agency's most successful team to date."

Hawkes & Dees the biggest losers so far.

FREE AGENCY BY TEAM*
TEAMS LOSSES GAINS NET
Adelaide 2* 1 -1
Brisbane 2 1 -1
Carlton 2 2 0
Collingwood 3 4 +1
Essendon 0 3 +3
Fremantle 1 3 +2
Geelong 3 4* +1
Gold Coast 1 2 +1
Greater Western Sydney 0 1 +1
Hawthorn 5 2 -3
Melbourne 4 1 -3
North Melbourne 1 3 +2
Port Adelaide 3 4 +1
Richmond 3 3 0
St Kilda 3 1 -2
Sydney 1 1 0
West Coast 3 1 -2
Western Bulldogs 2 2 0

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-28/free-agency-ladder-the-shock-teams-hit-hardest

"Having acquired Brendon Goddard in 2012, James Gwilt in 2014 and Matthew Leuenberger a year later, the Bombers can lay claim to being free agency's most successful team to date."

Hawkes & Dees the biggest losers so far.

FREE AGENCY BY TEAM*
TEAMS LOSSES GAINS NET
Adelaide 2* 1 -1
Brisbane 2 1 -1
Carlton 2 2 0
Collingwood 3 4 +1
Essendon 0 3 +3
Fremantle 1 3 +2
Geelong 3 4* +1
Gold Coast 1 2 +1
Greater Western Sydney 0 1 +1
Hawthorn 5 2 -3
Melbourne 4 1 -3
North Melbourne 1 3 +2
Port Adelaide 3 4 +1
Richmond 3 3 0
St Kilda 3 1 -2
Sydney 1 1 0
West Coast 3 1 -2
Western Bulldogs 2 2 0
That table is meaningless given it includes DFA. I bet those clubs are really devastated to lose blokes to free agency that they've already delisted! Furthermore, not even sure it's accurate, why is Gwilt included as a dfa, but Green was not?
Why is it so hard for a journalist to put forward something meaningful?

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Judging success or failure in FA should really be based on games added or lost or some measure of player productivity.

Simply including the number of players added or lost is far too simplistic to be meaningful.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon is the only team that hasn’t had a free agent depart, so I guess that’s a good sign.

We also overpaid our best players to get them to re-sign post supplements saga.

Looks like we have gotten through it because of the attrition of the rest of the top end talent on the list due to the supplements saga and the lag period following the rebuilding of the list via the draft.

Not being critical of anything in particular, just highlighting that our "success" with FA is virtually meaningless in the context of the rest of list management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back