Strategy Live trading on draft night - Guess the first one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just that bullish on King?
I mean on face value #6 + 2019 #1 should be worth a lot more than 2018 #1 alone.

Looks almost certain we've got Walsh in our sights rather than King.

I have always said I am happy whichever way we go - we either take Walsh at 1 or we trade it for multiple assets in that first round.

You're right in saying that what we're receiving in that hypothetical is more valuable than what we're giving up, but we would be giving up the opportunity to draft the best young kid in the country. Given where we're at I'd rather we bring him in now and get a year of senior football under his belt.

Ultimately I don't think we'll trade the pick unless it results in a much stronger hand in this draft, including a pick inside the top 3. If we want to trade I'd rather we move our 2019 1st for an extra early pick this year.

Looks almost certain we've got Walsh in our sights rather than King.

I have always said I am happy whichever way we go - we either take Walsh at 1 or we trade it for multiple assets in that first round.

You're right in saying that what we're receiving in that hypothetical is more valuable than what we're giving up, but we would be giving up the opportunity to draft the best young kid in the country. Given where we're at I'd rather we bring him in now and get a year of senior football under his belt.

Ultimately I don't think we'll trade the pick unless it results in a much stronger hand in this draft, including a pick inside the top 3. If we want to trade I'd rather we move our 2019 1st for an extra early pick this year.

Sorry I meant Walsh... slip of the fingers there.

Yeh I mean I wouldnt be either, but depending on what was coming up in 2019 if GC offered their 1st pick next year + 6 you'd be mad not to consider it.

Not sure I'd be jumping at any of those offers.

GC offer is the only one that would come close IMO.

It wasnt about the spitball offers I put forward, rather what Carlton can still do with it and the fact it holds more value then what some thought.

And you would be absolutely off the planet kind of stupid not to take that offer should GC put it to you. But they wont, it was just spitballing...

#1 priority is a small forward, Daniel Rioli is ideal.. I would be offering him huge coin, 5 years on $800k, Tigers are loaded especially after signing Lynch and wouldnt be close to offering that. Its definitely overs, but in terms of value to our side he would be exactly what we need.

Are you going to recruit Damien Hardwick as well???

It's unlikely Daniel Rioli will move clubs (no matter how much money you are throwing at him) when he's spent the past 4 years living with the coach.

It wasnt about the spitball offers I put forward, rather what Carlton can still do with it and the fact it holds more value then what some thought.

And you would be absolutely off the planet kind of stupid not to take that offer should GC put it to you. But they wont, it was just spitballing...
People act differently when there are perceived names attached to those numbers.

If you had draft order set and you were trading 2019 picks, you're correct. But we're talking about 2018, so you're incorrect.

People act differently when there are perceived names attached to those numbers

Yeah, especially when this year is a "superdraft" and next year will be a major drop off!

If you had draft order set and you were trading 2019 picks, you're correct. But we're talking about 2018, so you're incorrect.

I've been to the 2019 draft and I'm telling you you would be all kinds of stupid not to take that offer, you know, the "spitball" one they wont actually offer!

What you have failed to understand is that in the "spitball" offer, Gold Coasts future pick isnt about selecting another kid in the first round, it gives you the option of trading it out for an established gun player and still have a great pick in this 2018 draft!

Now back to my OP, Pick 1 still holds a fair bit of value to Carlton!

Are you going to recruit Damien Hardwick as well???

It's unlikely Daniel Rioli will move clubs (no matter how much money you are throwing at him) when he's spent the past 4 years living with the coach.

You do know who he is now living with? Loyalty only goes so far, if the Tigers cap is so tight they can only offer him 3 years at $400k and we come in offering 5 years at $800k, i think even Hardwick would understand the kids decision to pull on Navy Blue.

Also many of these kids coming though are huge NBA fans, and they watch stars like Lebron leave teams all the time, the 'loyalty' that was once there is a thing of the past. By the end of 2019 Rioli could have played in his 2nd flag for Richmond and might decide now is my time to get paid.

You do know who he is now living with? Loyalty only goes so far, if the Tigers cap is so tight they can only offer him 3 years at $400k and we come in offering 5 years at $800k, i think even Hardwick would understand the kids decision to pull on Navy Blue.

Also many of these kids coming though are huge NBA fans, and they watch stars like Lebron leave teams all the time, the 'loyalty' that was once there is a thing of the past. By the end of 2019 Rioli could have played in his 2nd flag for Richmond and might decide now is my time to get paid.

How long of a bow do you have to draw to suggest that Daniel Rioli going to Carlton is even a possibility.

So because Daniel Rioli's girlfriend's step-father was previously associated with Carlton before he got traded away due to his off-field antics, Daniel Rioli now
wants to be a Carlton player??

How long of a bow do you have to draw to suggest that Daniel Rioli going to Carlton is even a possibility.

So because Daniel Rioli's girlfriend's step-father was previously associated with Carlton before he got traded away due to his off-field antics, Daniel Rioli now
wants to be a Carlton player??

No that was not the reason.. The bow I draw is he is currently out of contract at the end of 2019, he is a kid with exceptional talent. Richmond have just blown up their salary cap signing Tom Lynch and a club like Carlton who is desperate for player like him should be talking with his manager and letting him know that we rate him enough to offer a big contract, far and away more than the Tigers can afford... and hope that this might convince him to cross town.

No where in my post did I say Rioli wants to come to Carlton, however like all employees who have a better offer in front of them he will have a decision to make, does he stay for team success and be paid significantly unders or join an exciting team like Carlton who are on the up and get PAID whilst doing it..

Our pick 1 for GC's 3, 24, and 29?

Good for both clubs, each team gets something out of it.

GC get Walsh, and we could get B. Smith + Bonus players at 24 and 29

Don't reckon there will be any trades for your garden variety picks.

Mainly because it's new and list managers are still trying to work it out

However i do think there is a good chance that compromised picks arising from F/S, NGA selections etc will result in some pick swaps

ie nominated player gets selected at pick 15. The club can match with pick 24 but they have pick 20 (which is overs). So they trade 20 for 24 and 37

Reckon that will cause the only pick swaps

BTW - i've not looked at the actual points - just using the above for an example

Think GC will trade picks 2 & 3 to the Adelaide teams and take the king twins:

Pick 2 to port for 5 & 10
Pick 3 to adelaide for 8 & 13

The Saints are also wanting to trade pick 4 for 6 & 29 with Gold Coast

Pick 1 Carlton- Walsh
Pick 2 Port- Lukosius
Pick 3 Adelaide- Rankine
Pick 4 GC- M.King
Pick 5 GC- B.King
Pick 6 Saints- Rozee
Pick 7 WBD- B.Smith
Pick 8 GC- Caldwell
Pick 9 GWS- Jones
Pick 10 GC- Hately

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A brief one minute video from Adrian Caruso on draft night. Sounds like a very busy night. I cant see 5 minutes being enough to initiate anything. I'm guessing there's a lot of drafting teams talking about scenarios.

I'm not a believer in good trading relationships between clubs, other than basic respect and professionalism as they act in their own interests.

With this change I wonder if that will change with the sheer volume of possibilities and the lure of mutual benefits in having pre-pre-prepared agreements for possible scenarios.

GWS GIANTS (@GWSGIANTS) Tweeted:
New format, live trading, a heap of intrigue.

@caruse18 talks through the strategy heading into the 2018 NAB AFL Draft.

https://t.co/I1zttqybun | #BeGIANT https://t.co/rW5aJIJOYd

Why would that be good? Never understand you people that seem to revel in bad things happening to other sides

It’s just a interesting outcome in the trading system. Good for cats and bad for dogs. Neutral overall.

It’s not good because it’s bad for the dogs, it’s good because it’s interesting and new.

So how many trades of picks has the AFL demanded occur? Would be pretty embarrassing if none happened.

Also embarrassing we have a night for the top 10 of players 99% of the public haven't seen play........so exciting, almost as embarrassing as supporters complaining about which players their clubs pick when again they have never seen the kid play.

A brief one minute video from Adrian Caruso on draft night. Sounds like a very busy night. I cant see 5 minutes being enough to initiate anything. I'm guessing there's a lot of drafting teams talking about scenarios.

I'm not a believer in good trading relationships between clubs, other than basic respect and professionalism as they act in their own interests.

With this change I wonder if that will change with the sheer volume of possibilities and the lure of mutual benefits in having pre-pre-prepared agreements for possible scenarios.

GWS GIANTS (@GWSGIANTS) Tweeted:
New format, live trading, a heap of intrigue.

@caruse18 talks through the strategy heading into the 2018 NAB AFL Draft.

https://t.co/I1zttqybun | #BeGIANT https://t.co/rW5aJIJOYd

Why though? Say Carlton bids at 1 on Blakey, Sydney match it, then Carlton takes Walsh at 2.

Carlton has gained nothing from the above and pissed Sydney off. Swings and roundabouts.

I agree about someone needing to keep clubs honest. I doubt Sydney would hold a grudge if, say, the Suns bid at 6 which seems to be about market price.

Why though? Say Carlton bids at 1 on Blakey, Sydney match it, then Carlton takes Walsh at 2.

Carlton has gained nothing from the above and pissed Sydney off. Swings and roundabouts.

I agree about someone needing to keep clubs honest. I doubt Sydney would hold a grudge if, say, the Suns bid at 6 which seems to be about market price.
With so many scenarios to cover, I wonder if clubs would have time to risk doing things to piss one club off.

In the years we'ven9m8nated academy kids ut's been discussed a l8t, but even without live trading there's no real evidence of clubs doing this.

The way it works there's good reason to wait for another club to bid and then match, particularly in the early rounds.

Given the clubs have to keep track of multiple players, list needs etc, anyone think there will be any picks traded within the top 50? Or all too much effort when they have too many other variables to worry about?

Bonus conspiracy thought - Has the AFL already encouraged a couple of clubs to swap to add to theatre of the night and legitimise the concept?

Yes there will be a couple in my opinion as it's not altogether different to what happens at trade time but you get the element of surprise somewhat. Most likely involving one of the SA or WA teams and the "local" factor.

Can't see the AFL needing to encourage it as this is a club driven idea.

So Carlton gave up their 2019 1st rounder for Adelaide's Pick 19 and their 2019 1st rounder.

While I think getting an extra year into a player is a great thing. I think this is a really poor trade by Carlton. They should have asked for more.

So say Adelaide finish 7th. They have given up Pick 19 and say Pick 12 for most likely a top 3 pick in 2019. Is that right?

Got to say if it plays out that way it will be a massive win for Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back