Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The award of stupidest finger fracture goes to me, "drrr, i know i'll practise high balls"
If it makes you feel any better, I once dislocated both of my ring fingers in the same week, one at training on Tuesday, the other at training on Thursday.

This was about 15 years ago, and they're still dislocated to this day, I never bothered to do anything about it at the time because I was a stupid teenager, and it's now more effort than it's worth to have them put back. They aren't out by a lot, but enough to ache from time to time.

If it makes anyone feel better, I put my back out a few years ago. Several weeks agony and several months gruelling recovery physio. When the doctor asked how I did it, I had to respond eating pizza.

If it makes anyone feel better, I put my back out a few years ago. Several weeks agony and several months gruelling recovery physio. When the doctor asked how I did it, I had to respond eating pizza.
I’m having pizza for dinner tonight.

I’ll be back!

..... this requires clarification.
It wasn’t quite as dumb as it sounds but it wasn’t far off. I hadn’t been exercising because of recovering from surgery which was probably a big chink of the problem. I was at pizza restaurant and when the pizza came to the table I had one of those slippery napkins that fell off my lap and I reached down to grap it pretty awkwardly while balancing a pizza slice in the other hand and felt one of those ominous clicks in my lower back. It hurt a bit even at the time, but over the next few hours it progressed from painful to agony. God I hate back injuries.

If it makes you feel any better, I once dislocated both of my ring fingers in the same week, one at training on Tuesday, the other at training on Thursday.

This was about 15 years ago, and they're still dislocated to this day, I never bothered to do anything about it at the time because I was a stupid teenager, and it's now more effort than it's worth to have them put back. They aren't out by a lot, but enough to ache from time to time.
I managed to break my ring finger hitting my own leg while moving to pick up a ball. In Iran. And went to a public hospital there.

... do you still have the finger? ... actually attached? not just in a jar or something?

Is that supposed to be a joke? Do you think jars just grow on trees in Iran??

How do we all feel about the election?

I've never voted ALP before, but they have my vote this time around. Feel slightly uneasy about red shirts, but their practical and empathetic policy making has won me over through the past four years.

Got a sneaky feeling they're going to lose though. There seems to be a large LNP grassroots movement aiming at unseating Andrews, now that they know ScoMo won't be elected.

I've never voted ALP before, but they have my vote this time around. Feel slightly uneasy about red shirts, but their practical and empathetic policy making has won me over through the past four years.

Got a sneaky feeling they're going to lose though. There seems to be a large LNP grassroots movement aiming at unseating Andrews, now that they know ScoMo won't be elected.
Very biased but Libs all the way. Andrews et al should go to jail for fraud over red shirt rorts.

Very biased but Libs all the way. Andrews et al should go to jail for fraud over red shirt rorts.
I'm very uneasy about the rorts, but at the same time I see absolutely no reason why the Liberals should have another go after stuffing about and getting nothing done under Baillieu and Napthine. Never mind the fact that Guy is hardly a man of integrity. What are the reasons that you're voting LNP, what do you reckon they will get done on a practical level?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate both of them, but i'll give you my honest opinions

Andrews is a shady as they come, James Packer said he'd kick goals for him last election, and oh behold Crown got a new planning permit. Signed us to some deal with China that the fed government is pissed about because it wasn't consulted, and us the voters aren't even told what it is. And living in the country i can't not tell you about how people thought the CFA stuff was a complete cluster *. Ripped up a contract at the start of his term costing us millions not to build a ******* road. To many negatives despite removing the level crossings.

Mathew guy isn't as shady but he's a moron, tries to act very tough. Will shut down anything remotely associated as left. All he has done is preach about crime and do some classic fear mongering. If i had to be forced to pick a leader between the two he's the lesser of two evils for mine

If you want them ordered my ALP representative is down the list in last with the libs in second last. While i don't like the national party my local member has done a good job, so it'll be them and independents for me

Also * this election because once this finishes we gotta do the damn Federal one next. Ffs i need more recharge time
Aren't you in the ACT now?

What's this "practical and empathetic" policy business? Genuine question, although I imagine I won't like the answer.

I'm very uneasy about the rorts, but at the same time I see absolutely no reason why the Liberals should have another go after stuffing about and getting nothing done under Baillieu and Napthine. Never mind the fact that Guy is hardly a man of integrity. What are the reasons that you're voting LNP, what do you reckon they will get done on a practical level?
They are ready to go. I’ve never seen an opposition this prepared at a state or federal level. Everything they have raised has been costed within current budgets and planned well. I’m not saying it’ll be immaculate in implementation but it’ll be a damn sight better than Bailieu.

I think they will get it all done, or at least launched by 2022.

And frankly we need it. The infra in the outer burbs is falling apart.

Lib democrats

... do you still have the finger? ... actually attached? not just in a jar or something?

Yeah, it's pretty good, "No surgery" were two very sweet words to hear. The doctors seemed pretty keen to treat me well as a foreigner, the locals (who definitely needed the treatment more than me) I got pushed in front of in line did not seem to share the enthusiasm of the staff.

Also **** this election because once this finishes we gotta do the damn Federal one next. Ffs i need more recharge time

Aren't you in the ACT now?
Doesn’t mean I’m not invested

What's this "practical and empathetic" policy business? Genuine question, although I imagine I won't like the answer.

For a full term of government, the LNP talked about removing level crossings. As the election approached, they even made plans to remove a handful in the south east if they won after the ALP promised to remove 50 - 25 in each of the next two terms. Labor has removed 29 in four years, and the swiftness and decisiveness has shocked me. I live/work in the middle of six close crossings - four of them have been removed and the other two have been announced as amongst the next to go. The Metro Tunnel will help declutter the CBD, take cars off the road, and spread the in and outbound traffic throughout the district rather than within three stations. Nobody had discussed it for years, it had always been in the too hard basket. Labor bit the bullet and did it. Airport rail - this one is less certain, I still have my doubts it will get done, but they've made concrete plans and are keen to forge ahead. The Suburban Rail Loop - plunging this much time and money into a project that will take 30 years to build is brave in an election year, and I don't really see why it has to take so long, but Melbourne has always lacked an intersecting rail across our spider-grid and this would be huge. The solar farms and solar rebate have been terrific - getting people off the grid and divesting from fossil fuels. As I said, I'd never liked Labor, but these are enormously practical policies. Like him or loathe him, the last politician to be this decisive was Jeff Kennett.

As far as empathetic policy goes - the list is long. ******* the vaccine naysayers off was a big plus, given the risk to vulnerable kids if we don't herd-immunise. Backing Safe Schools given it is pretty effective at protecting LGBTI kids has been great, particularly given the federal zealots like Tony have been trying to can it. Cutting stamp duty has helped people get into the market, and potentially contributed to prices coming down recently - but I admit the economics here are over my head. Not giving in to Dutton's rhetoric around immigrants being evil has been great. You have a bunch of Sudanese people in your state, protected by law as residents: do you A). try and help establish their communities and related amenities or B). start a scare campaign to ostracise them for cheap votes, leading to disenfranchisement and more crime. Jobs are thriving, Victoria has the highest job creation rate in the country over the past few years. Free kinder to come for three year olds should they win. A Royal Commission into the mental health sector will hopefully assist us in helping vulnerable people - given mental health problems don't discriminate by wealth, race, age or sex - and help guide the availability and distribution of funds. Oddly enough, Labor has even hired more frontline police than the previous LNP lot, not that the Libs want you to know it.

I'm pretty sure I put Labor last on my ballot in 2014, so I'm as surprised as anyone to be typing out the above, but Labor has created a raft of super effective policies whilst also keeping the budget in good nick. Good on them.

They are ready to go. I’ve never seen an opposition this prepared at a state or federal level. Everything they have raised has been costed within current budgets and planned well. I’m not saying it’ll be immaculate in implementation but it’ll be a damn sight better than Bailieu.

I think they will get it all done, or at least launched by 2022.

And frankly we need it. The infra in the outer burbs is falling apart.

Can you send across some info about what they have planned? I'm curious. I really haven't seen much in the way of practical policy making. I'm also skeptical about why it would take them a fill term just to launch the policies that they've promised, given how much of their agenda Labor has gotten done in four years. I fear the LNP is still indecisive when it comes to getting things done and taking risks.

I was also pretty disappointed by their abuse of the parliamentary pair system - effectively ending a century of bipartisan tradition and making a work/life balance more difficult for politicians across the spectrum.

Last edited:
Lib democrats
I like their general ideology, but can't stand Leyonjelm as their figurehead. He loves the sound of his own voice, and he's an enormous arsehole. I'd have thought a centrist party like the LibDems would have learned their lessons from the 2010 UK election, when Clegg led them to a coalition government and proceeded to be totally unprepared to actually make decisions. They're led by a decent bloke in Vince Cable now, pretty much the only political leader to point out what would happen when Theresa May tried to broker a deal to exit the EU given the EU is under no obligation to make life easy for the UK (hey presto, he was right), but he's hamstrung by the fact that nobody has faith in his party anymore.

I’m moving jobs within my agency. Which is nice and a change and all.

But I’ve been stuck all week with my replacement trying to do ‘handover’ of my role to some random spare wank lawyer brought in to replace me who is harbouring a deep resentment of me, the job, the agency and the world at large. I’m actually beginning to panic because I’ve got one more day to show this person stuff they will HAVE to start doing, independently on Monday or s**t hits fans and all, and I can’t seem to make any impression. I have literally no confidence that this moron will know what to do, even vaguely.

I seriously have spent three days having this type of convo:

PG: it’s important to monitor this inbox daily
Replacement: I have to do that?
PG: yes and when you are responding to enquiries you will...
Replacement: how will I know there is something to respond to?
PG: By monitoring the inbox. That’s why it’s important to keep track of it daily...
Replacement: I have to read the emails? Who tells me what to write back?
PG: I’ll show you how to search the system to locate the relevant information...
Replacement: I have to find the information?
PG: Yes but remember you may need to consult a subject expert. For example, if you need legal input you would request information from John...
Replacement: But he’s in Sydney.
PG: you can send a request by email.
Replacement: But how will I know I need information?
PG: when you can’t respond to the question.
Replacement: what is the question?
PG: the one that has been sent to this inbox. You need to monitor incoming requests daily.
Replacement: I have to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back