Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

He's getting on and I think we'll have to expect more injuries through the years as he plays out such a long contract.

The more that surgery can be avoided the better but it takes time. This decision indicates simply that the club docs know they are out of time for round 1 (or thereabouts).

I can't question their initial decision to try to avoid surgery, notwithstanding that he'd just had a knee op. Surgery always risks doing more harm since a surgeon must normally cut through healthy flesh, as well as the considerable risk of infection.

Operating on a groin or other area where there is movement and weight bearing is far more complex than the type of superficial surgery that's normally considered elective. This is not a nose job.

And yes, I agree his partner probably needed to stop testing it.

I seriously worry about the degree of misery on this board. This is obviously not ideal, but if a recovery can be made without requiring surgery that is always a more appealing option than something more invasive. None of us have any idea about the nature of this injury or his recovery, none of us have access to the medical records, so to second guess the medical staff is pretty pointless. We are still in November, round one is still over four months away, senior players haven't even started preseason training yet. Let's just hold on a bit before we commit ritual suicide together.

Careful or you'll be slashing your wrists. The sky is always falling on this barnyard of Chicken Littles. If Buddy makes the preseason the club is rushing him back. If he doesn't they're not managing him right. If he kicks a bag he's being over-used, if he's doughnuts he's being wasted. If we lose by a goal we need a new coach. Lose by five goals we need a new coach last week. If we trade for points to capture a gun like Blakey, it's a wasted draft.

He's getting on and I think we'll have to expect more injuries through the years as he plays out such a long contract.

The more that surgery can be avoided the better but it takes time. This decision indicates simply that the club docs know they are out of time for round 1 (or thereabouts).

I can't question their initial decision to try to avoid surgery, notwithstanding that he'd just had a knee op. Surgery always risks doing more harm since a surgeon must normally cut through healthy flesh, as well as the considerable risk of infection.

Operating on a groin or other area where there is movement and weight bearing is far more complex than the type of superficial surgery that's normally considered elective. This is not a nose job.

And yes, I agree his partner probably needed to stop testing it.

Yes, I suspect the approach was probably to see if things would improve enough without surgery as long as possible up to a deadline that would allow him to undergo the surgery if it was needed and still have him ready for the season. As I said, we are still over four months from round one and he isn't even due to start pre-season training yet, there is time for hi to recover and still every reason to believe he will be lining up when the season starts.

I think we all know that to have him see out this long contract requires careful management of his body. The guy plays an incredibly demanding role, he puts his body through the ringer and has been playing through injuries that no doubt would have seen a lesser player out of the team. I'm sure the club's medical staff have the long term in mind when it comes to decisions about his rest and recovery, his training loads, the decision to have surgery or not to address injuries, etc. If they can spare his body unnecessary additional trauma I'm sure they will try to do that.

The last season was clearly a difficult one for him and he had to play through a few different problems. He still averaged 3 goals a game, the second best average in the league. With his knee surgery already done and the groin being handled now, we should see him start the 2019 season in better shape than he was in last year. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Careful or you'll be slashing your wrists. The sky is always falling on this barnyard of Chicken Littles. If Buddy makes the preseason the club is rushing him back. If he doesn't they're not managing him right. If he kicks a bag he's being over-used, if he's doughnuts he's being wasted. If we lose by a goal we need a new coach. Lose by five goals we need a new coach last week. If we trade for points to capture a gun like Blakey, it's a wasted draft.
Yep, big footy in a nutshell!

For those occupying the pages of Voltaire's Candide, all is right, 'this is the best of all possible worlds'. C'mon 37, not everything comes up roses.

Either the medicos hoped the groin would come good or they did not want to risk two significant surgeries on the same day or within a short space of time.

For those occupying the pages of Voltaire's Candide, all is right, 'this is the best of all possible worlds'. C'mon 37, not everything comes up roses.

Either the medicos hoped the groin would come good or they did not want to risk two significant surgeries on the same day or within a short space of time.

That's already been cleared up. They stated that it was their opinion that the best course of action was rest.
Attributing some sinister motive/incompetence to a perfectly valid prognosis from people qualified to provide that prognosis and substituting your own personal opinion from 200k's away without seeing the patient is the height of foolishness.

That's already been cleared up. They stated that it was their opinion that the best course of action was rest.
Attributing some sinister motive/incompetence to a perfectly valid prognosis from people qualified to provide that prognosis and substituting your own personal opinion from 200k's away without seeing the patient is the height of foolishness.

Well said!

Read the second para 37. Live nearly 1000 clicks away. Have had enough surgery to know the preference to have a decent gap between surgery events, depending on age and health. In all probability two different surgeons were involved as well.

It was clear Buddy was severely limited by the groin at the end of the year.

Read the second para 37. Live nearly 1000 clicks away. Have had enough surgery to know the preference to have a decent gap between surgery events, depending on age and health. In all probability two different surgeons were involved as well.

It was pretty clear Buddy was limited by his ankle for most of 2018 as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to me your angst is no more than another example of chicken little'ing.
Buddy is injured, should have surgery, the club is incompetent, the sky is falling in.

Is it possible that they thought rest would heal his groin issue? Yes.
Did it go to plan? No.

Is it part of a whole series of events that point to the sky falling in? Hells no.

Seems to me your angst is no more than another example of chicken little'ing.
Buddy is injured, should have surgery, the club is incompetent, the sky is falling in.

Is it possible that they thought rest would heal his groin issue? Yes.
Did it go to plan? No.

Is it part of a whole series of events that point to the sky falling in? Hells no.

I give up 37.

37 and Tedeski - have you played competitive sport at any level and played through injury?

Sounds like odd criteria to judge the merits of the decision of the medical staff of a football club.

If that is in fact the criteria to have a discussion on this forum then I will give it a miss.

For me it was table tennis not long BEFORE we punched the s**t out of each other.

“Let”
“Was not”
“******* let”
“**** you”
Who knew Table tennis was a contact sport hey?

I swear, blokes could turn watching cloud shapes into a bruising encounter.

I just hope we can utilise him more effectively over the next few season, ideally he will have the odd game off here and there, if you can get 17-18 games a year from him and have him fit for finals that would be great

Back