List Mgmt. 2018 Draft, Free Agency & Trade Hypotheticals thread, Part II: Nothing happened!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Yes we did, but if Adelaide, Port, West Coast, Freo, GWS, GC or Brisbane nominated him, we would have matched.
You don't see a problem with that? That's classic manipulation of an outcome in the draft according to the rules at the time.
Isn't this just a fairly normal pre-draft decision negotiation? If we were penalised surely on that occasion we would take a trade restriction case to the Federal Court as we should have over the COLA fiasco

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
That’s the point, the GC need to back themselves to be able to create an environment that makes the cost of leaving it higher than it is now. They cannot afford a defeatist attitude worrying about players leaving them in 3 years. There is a lot of work for them to do create that environment and start to wear some big boy pants. If they don’t it is game over. They need to recruit to whatever their need is. They cannot second guess and worry about things that are not within their own control. What is in their control is the environment they choose to create.....drive an hour up the road...there seems to be a good example there.
They are a terminal basket case. Should never have been started and should be finished off in the interests of the integrity of the competition. If they were a greyhound they would be put down

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
They are a terminal basket case. Should never have been started and should be finished off in the interests of the integrity of the competition. If they were a greyhound they would be put down

Can’t blame the club totally. The AFL has a lot to answer to considering the leg up GWS had with their plentiful 1st round picks and more than generous recruiting zone. The biggest * up though is sending the team to Carrara, the place the team before them failed...who does that?

Yes we did, but if Adelaide, Port, West Coast, Freo, GWS, GC or Brisbane nominated him, we would have matched.
You don't see a problem with that? That's classic manipulation of an outcome in the draft according to the rules at the time.

Not really. Given the apparent family situation a Swans match would have been the second preference to a move to any other non Melbourne Club.

For whatever reason there had been some bad blood between Andrew Dunkley and the Club. Dunks was a champ good ordinary footballer for our mob. I am pleased that the Swans actions may have helped repair any ill feeling.

Personally I am proud of the Club and do not consider it draft tampering.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Not really. Given the apparent family situation a Swans match would have been the second preference to a move to any other non Melbourne Club.

For whatever reason there had been some bad blood between Andrew Dunkley and the Club. Dunks was a champ good ordinary footballer for our mob. I am pleased that the Swans actions may have helped repair any ill feeling.

Personally I am proud of the Club and do not consider it draft tampering.

The point of the draft is that players don't get to pick and choose where they go. It is a mechanism designed to allow for an even spread of talent through the league, giving all clubs equal opportunity to sign new players.

We participated in an action that was designed to stop seven clubs from being able to sign Dunkley because he didn't want to go interstate. It is the very definition of draft tampering. I'm not going to tell you how you should feel about it, I can understand you being happy for us to do something to help out a former player, but even if you are happy that we did it it doesn't mean it wasn't draft tampering.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
https://www.sen.com.au/programs/kb-and-the-doc/

Scroll down and it’s in the list.

Thanks for the heads up, good interview).

Summary for those who haven't listened:

- There is an understanding among recruiters that what goes around, comes around when it comes to bidding too early on F/S or academy bids. Doesn't expect a spiteful bid too early.
- Beatson sees Walsh and Rankine as his top two. Max King could have been number one if he hadn't had the injury, as it is he sees him slipping a little as a result. If Blakey had been fully fit this season and wasn't tied to us he would be in the mix for pick three with Lukosius and King.
- We will be selecting four players. hoping to take Blakey and then use three picks in a row from 38 to 40.
- Back's culture at the club to retain players from other states, not worried about go-home factor.
- Doesn't think there will be much action on live trading in the first round, but more likely in the second round. Everyone is still learning about how it will work.
- Sees Blakey as a high half foward or wing in his first few seasons before being able to take on a more key position role.
- More interested in making selections on talent than needs - players with talent will find their role and are adaptable, better to select them than pigeonholing a player for a particular need if they don't have the talent to make it at AFL level.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Kinnear Beatson needs media training. When asked where do you rate Nick Blakey talent wise in this draft, the correct answer is 9 or 10ish KB, not 3!

Well, he did say that's where he would have been if he hadn't been hampered by injury. Regardless, it doesn't matter, everyone know we are going to match whatever bid comes for him.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Kinnear Beatson needs media training. When asked where do you rate Nick Blakey talent wise in this draft, the correct answer is 9 or 10ish KB, not 3!

He did bring King into the discussion too saying he’d be top three if not for his injuries.

Said it’s normal for players like that to slide a bit...
;)

Hopefully we did a deal with the Saints during the Hannebery trade. Port would look foolish and would be a definite rogue bid given I had thought they traded up to get a SA talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

- There is an understanding among recruiters that what goes around, comes around when it comes to bidding too early on F/S or academy bids. Doesn't expect a spiteful bid too early.
- Beatson sees Walsh and Rankine as his top two. Max King could have been number one if he hadn't had the injury, as it is he sees him slipping a little as a result. If Blakey had been fully fit this season and wasn't tied to us he would be in the mix for pick three with Lukosius and King.
- We will be selecting four players. hoping to take Blakey and then use three picks in a row from 38 to 40.
- Back's culture at the club to retain players from other states, not worried about go-home factor.
- Doesn't think there will be much action on live trading in the first round, but more likely in the second round. Everyone is still learning about how it will work.
- Sees Blakey as a high half foward or wing in his first few seasons before being able to take on a more key position role.
- More interested in making selections on talent than needs - players with talent will find their role and are adaptable, better to select them than pigeonholing a player for a particular need if they don't have the talent to make it at AFL level.
Let people make up their own mind on it , to be fair .

excellent summation of Beatson's comments.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies

Without belabouring the point, I think the way Beatson speaks is why people might get ruffled by how Harley speaks. Beatson is very forthright and feels like he's speaking to you the same way he would a colleague at the club. Harley feels like he's feeding you slogans and business-speak. Might not be fair, because I don't think Harley is at his core a dishonest guy or that Beatson is incapable of lying (I'm certain he has) but I get why perceptions of them are different.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Without belabouring the point, I think the way Beatson speaks is why people might get ruffled by how Harley speaks. Beatson is very forthright and feels like he's speaking to you the same way he would a colleague at the club. Harley feels like he's feeding you slogans and business-speak. Might not be fair, because I don't think Harley is at his core a dishonest guy or that Beatson is incapable of lying (I'm certain he has) but I get why perceptions of them are different.
Agree , Beatson was very open , but Harley I can't get to really like him , as for Gardener , who knows , maybe just another job for a mate.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

You can't make everyone happy all the time:

I totally understand the difference between the way Harley and Beatson speak and that people feel the latter is more open or genuine. What I don't get is why that perception leads people to dislike Harley as much as they do. Some people on here hate him, and when I asked why all they came up with was that they didn't like the way he talked... It seems like a massive over reaction to me.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
You can't make everyone happy all the time:

I totally understand the difference between the way Harley and Beatson speak and that people feel the latter is more open or genuine. What I don't get is why that perception leads people to dislike Harley as much as they do. Some people on here hate him, and when I asked why all they came up with was that they didn't like the way he talked... It seems like a massive over reaction to me.
I don't hate him at all , just can't warm to him. Why on this forum if you don't warm to someone like me with Macca over the years , is it hate. Hate is what I think of terrorists , or Pedo's etc.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't hate him at all , just can't warm to him. Why on this forum if you don't warm to someone like me with Macca over the years , is it hate. Hate is what I think of terrorists , or Pedo's etc.

I wasn't thinking of you when I said that. I have had conversations with a couple of other people about Harley this off-season, it was those that led me to use the word hate.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

So let me get this very clear. We want a CEO that blurts out everything as if he is talking to a few mates at the pub.
Sorry but I don't think that would be appropriate in his role. Give the guy a chance & we need to quit with this perception of people running our club.
Harley & Beatson's roles couldn't be more different.
Sometimes we go looking for stuff that doesn't exist. Name a club CEO that spills any more info than Harley does or speaks any differently, other than Collingwood's Conflicted Excremental Officer, Eddie McChin.

We need to quit with slamming our own people until we know for a fact what has gone down. In Harley's case, give him a chance to make a mistake first.

Love draft night, still recon 2 nights was plenty though. The first night will be boring- won't be any trades.
Would be great if they switched it to something like a one-day event, on a Sunday, and included the ability to trade players.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
So let me get this very clear. We want a CEO that blurts out everything as if he is talking to a few mates at the pub.
Sorry but I don't think that would be appropriate in his role. Give the guy a chance & we need to quit with this perception of people running our club.
Harley & Beatson's roles couldn't be more different.
Sometimes we go looking for stuff that doesn't exist. Name a club CEO that spills any more info than Harley does or speaks any differently, other than Collingwood's Conflicted Excremental Officer, Eddie McChin.

We need to quit with slamming our own people until we know for a fact what has gone down. In Harley's case, give him a chance to make a mistake first.

Tell me what I posted that does not exist or is unreasonable in logic. I never said I want Harley to speak in a certain way. I never said Harley doesn't do his job well or does it any differently to any other Football Manager (now CEO). I never slammed him for anything and never suggested he and Beatson should do anything similarly.

This board is mind-numbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back