Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too bothered by Menzel. Pretty easy to shut down if you have a decent medium sized defender who can then run off him
Seems a bit odd for Sydney to replace their often ineffective/injury prone medium marking players in Rohan and Towers with another one, especially when they've still got Hayward. Surely another small to help Papley and Ronke out would be a better use for a list spot.

Below average for tackles which has always been the knock on him. Not sure even the Swans will change that.

Yep that it has...But not sure the Swans got him in to tackle...With Steve Johnson as the forward coach they'd want Menzel to shadow Buddy sort of as a "Stevie J Mk2".... they'd be searching for that magic craftiness in front of goal that they haven't got..

Yep that it has...But not sure the Swans got him in to tackle...With Steve Johnson as the forward coach they'd want Menzel to shadow Buddy sort of as a "Stevie J Mk2".... they'd be searching for that magic craftiness in front of goal that they haven't got..

Couldn't agree more mate. I'll bet my big one the Swans didn't draft him thinking they could massively improve his weaknesses, rather how they can capitalize on his strengths.

What are everyone's thoughts on the potential AFLX tournament for next year? The game itself may not be a spectacle, but having four captains pick their teams schoolyard style and the ensuing contest would make for intruiging viewing.

Are the clubs willing to put up their gun players for this ridiculous tournament? Clubs last year didn't take it seriously. Can't see why that would change this year.

Are the clubs willing to put up their gun players for this ridiculous tournament? Clubs last year didn't take it seriously. Can't see why that would change this year.

If you can demand clubs release players for this frivolity, why can't you demand them for State of Origin?

I don't care if there's never another state of origin game.
With Victoria overwhelmingly having the most players in the league, it is really just another VFL wank.
There are now 5 states with AFL teams, so how does it make sense to have any sort of state of origin contest?

Would it be like the EJ Whitten game, with a Vic side v All Stars. Pathetic. Win or lose it is just another celebration of Victoria being the origin of the most stars.
Win or lose, I have no interest in watching Victoria strut about like the custodians of the game.

It's now a national game but such a spectacle would be slanted toward just one state.
I wouldn't want any Lions being risked, just to promote a Victorian "look at me" event.

Look at the AFLX proposal. 4 teams, 4 captains. 2 from Vic sides, one from Sydney and one from Perth. Even the captain from Sydney is a Victorian who played most of his footy at Hawthorn.
Yawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could understand people outside of SA, WA and Victoria not caring much about state of origin but I'll back in WA and SA to be competitive with Victoria.

I don't care if there's never another state of origin game.
With Victoria overwhelmingly having the most players in the league, it is really just another VFL wank.
There are now 5 states with AFL teams, so how does it make sense to have any sort of state of origin contest?

Would it be like the EJ Whitten game, with a Vic side v All Stars. Pathetic. Win or lose it is just another celebration of Victoria being the origin of the most stars.
Win or lose, I have no interest in watching Victoria strut about like the custodians of the game.

It's now a national game but such a spectacle would be slanted toward just one state.
I wouldn't want any Lions being risked, just to promote a Victorian "look at me" event.

Look at the AFLX proposal. 4 teams, 4 captains. 2 from Vic sides, one from Sydney and one from Perth. Even the captain from Sydney is a Victorian who played most of his footy at Hawthorn.
Yawn.

Actually, Franklin's Western Australian..grew up in Perth...Part of the Kickett family

Only if he wants to, in which case I'd argue the club should've done more to convince him otherwise.

You're right, but it seems like we'd be fighting uphill if he has a straight choice between staying in Melbourne or moving to Brisbane.

You're right, but it seems like we'd be fighting uphill if he has a straight choice between staying in Melbourne or moving to Brisbane.
If his Dad isn't an advocate for the merits of moving north, not sure who would be. As for Lachlan, has anyone seen or heard anything to suggest he is considered by the Lions to be of the necessary standard? I haven't and he has not featured much at a representative or TAC cup level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back