Past Daniel Menzel - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

,Was being a little facetious. Still some slate Mitchell for being a money grubber. Had Hanners agreed to drop significant coin, he'd be a one Club player, being paid what he was worth. If Rohan was selfless he would have tornup his contract and volunteered to go on the Rookie List.

Yes but at the time, Mitchell was just another plodder who, like Hannebery, Kennedy, Jack, Parker, could wrack up 30 touches a game. But unlike Kennedy he was not a hulk in the contest. Unlike Parker, he wasn't a strong mark who could play forward. Unlike Hannebery, he didn't have great gut-running ability. That's what I'm referring to, then not now, because connolly was referring to Horse playing Mitchell in the reserves.

As for your last point, i'm not so sure Horse is astute enough. I don't believe he is the kind of coach who plays to his players' strengths, but instead he demands that they toe the line to his brand that doesn't necessarily suit them. Just my observations based on the last 7 years with him as coach. Who knows, he might have an epiphany and realise this group of young Swans could do things no group of Swans have done before. We could play fast, attacking, dangerous footy and cut teams open with decisive plays and flashes of brilliance. We don't have to be the stoppage-based work-horses we've had to be over the last 15 years. I guess we'll wait and see.
We still got the Mitchell decision wrong.Hindsight is a mongrel cos it is never wrong. Completely understandable why he was let go. Others were preferred for a variety of reasons and all of them faded in comparison to what we let go. How do you get a player to love the jumper he plays in? Mitchell had an unhealthy amount of selfishness about him and ego. The issue is how the Club went about knocking him into the player they wanted him to become. He would become the best accumulater the game has ever seen, but not a team man and tellingly, too few selfless one percenters. He chose to walk away. We need to ask how did the Club fail in making Titch a swan? We can be better for the experience, without feeling," he didn't like us, he can stuff off." As for horse, he needs his assistant coaches to grow the individual players space within horses system. Stevie J must become Menzel's powerful advocate. Horse needs his system, but many of the players need freedom to be different. That Ollie Florent goal is a great cameo of what we are talking about.

,Was being a little facetious. Still some slate Mitchell for being a money grubber. Had Hanners agreed to drop significant coin, he'd be a one Club player, being paid what he was worth. If Rohan was selfless he would have tornup his contract and volunteered to go on the Rookie List.
I'm not sure you read my post. I said he should have left for more money and opportunity. It's the age of professionalism. This isn't an amateur suburban game any more where changing clubs was seen as the worst kind of betrayal.

We had a round of contract renewals that were the right decision at the time but have looked poor based on unforeseeable outcomes. If I had a time machine I wouldn't have signed Tippett and I would've moved Jack and maybe even Hanners on earlier to make space for Mitchell but we don't have that luxury. For the most part the club has made the right decisions to make us a competitor and you're not going to get every call right.

Any way...back on topic...I like Menzel.

The late Eddie Melai. Very tough and rugged ruckman. He KO'd (accidentally of course) an umpire in VFA Grand Final. He also managed to get himself reported and rubbed out as a runner for Dandenong against Port in the Grand Final when Fred Cook was king hit.
In the VFA an umpire being hit was a deliberate act made to look accidental. The VFA was bastion of thugs and hit men. Guys who spent more time suspended in their VFL careers than on the park. That is saying something in that era as the VFL, SANFL and WAFL were very tough comps

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be fair Harley and Johnson never played for Swans. Playfair was injury prone and powder nose was a great Ruck an for us.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wish they had.

It was just some idle musing on the number of old cats that have washed up on Sydney shores but, as some have pointed out, this is not a new thing.

Have to disagree. Longmire has a penchant for keeping brilliant young players in the reserves as a Siberian gulag. I have already said far too much about Aliir but he did the same to Mitchell. There are only two kinds of coaches. Those who take out of players by demanding more discipline, greater effort etc and those that put things back into players by developing their natural skill and creativity. Longmire takes things out of players in the interest of iron compliance with the club system. The lack of dough with Mitchell doesn't wash. The money could have been found with some ruthless culling. I give you Jack and McVeigh. Basically Longmire wants company men. We lost a Brownlow Medallist as a result.
How can you dispute a simple fact ? (Donald Trump says hello). Mitchell played 45 games in 2015/2016. Had he stayed a Swans he'd have played even more games than he got as a Hawk. It's an old chestnut that Horse denied him games. Don't go there.

Needless to say that it's nothing to do with Menzel.

I'm not sure you read my post. I said he should have left for more money and opportunity. It's the age of professionalism. This isn't an amateur suburban game any more where changing clubs was seen as the worst kind of betrayal.

We had a round of contract renewals that were the right decision at the time but have looked poor based on unforeseeable outcomes. If I had a time machine I wouldn't have signed Tippett and I would've moved Jack and maybe even Hanners on earlier to make space for Mitchell but we don't have that luxury. For the most part the club has made the right decisions to make us a competitor and you're not going to get every call right.

Any way...back on topic...I like Menzel.
Spot on commentary...and I like Menzel as a potentially great fit too.

Hey everyone... this is in fact a thread to discuss Daniel Menzel not Titch leaving us, how Horse plays youth, GPS data or anything else not Menzel related.

So please try to keep it on topic.

Any further off topic discussion from here will be removed.

How can you dispute a simple fact ? (Donald Trump says hello). Mitchell played 45 games in 2015/2016. Had he stayed a Swans he'd have played even more games than he got as a Hawk. It's an old chestnut that Horse denied him games. Don't go there.

Needless to say that it's nothing to do with Menzel.
Well it does have a Menzel relevance. Will Menzel, who does not play a strong defensive forward game that the Dear Leader wants in his forwards, be played in the NEAFL until he changes his style or until someone like Kieran Jack gets injured? Or will he be among the first picked given his goal scoring ability and the different attacking dimension he brings to the table? All of this is of course conditional on dodgy knees, thighs etc etc. holding up and pre-season form. Legitimate question in the Menzel thread which is apparently being moderated out of a bunker in Pyongyang these days. ( Kim says hi back).

Since the Menzel thread ghas become the Mitchell thread I'll put this out there.
I mentioned a few years back that I had run into a fellow who took care of this kind of stuff.
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-11-16/gps-technology

He said back then that a player can't hide their lack of fitness or effort when they have these devices in the back of their jumper.
As supporters we often question why a player isn't playing senior footy etc, etc, but we fail to understand that apart from a great intercept or ball winning ability, a player needs to be able to run out a full game at the standard required & that he had set himself at an earlier period when he was playing. Now that player could be playing hurt & not at his best but what other role can they do to help the team. This is very much what Kizza has been able to do when not at full fitness over the years though I think it got the better of him in 2017 when he was rested for 6 weeks or so. But Kizza can play very defensive roles well for the team. It doesn't get the wraps from supporters but the coaches & team mates know what he has done or not done during a game.

I think this was Aliir's issue as he seriously looked putrid when he was playing twos & not fit at all. I just remember this fellow pretty much say that these devices are fantastic for the clubs because it tells them plenty about a player & where they are at.
There are a lot of unknowns with players throughout a season but we are never to know the full story with why a player may be kept out of the seniors even though they make great intercepts or accumulate 75 disposals in a NEAFL game.

Just some random thought regarding the GPS & which of our players perhaps don't like them.
I would have suggested a place to stick his devices and it wouldn't be on Menzil's back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it does have a Menzel relevance. Will Menzel, who does not play a strong defensive forward game that the Dear Leader wants in his forwards, be played in the NEAFL until he changes his style or until someone like Kieran Jack gets injured? Or will he be among the first picked given his goal scoring ability and the different attacking dimension he brings to the table? All of this is of course conditional on dodgy knees, thighs etc etc. holding up and pre-season form. Legitimate question in the Menzel thread which is apparently being moderated out of a bunker in Pyongyang these days. ( Kim says hi back).
I see Menzel being recruited as an attacking player to take pressure off Buddy. The coaches would be well aware of his strength and weaknesses but I'd see him being a best 22 player. That's not to say he gets to just waltz into firsts without any commitment to training but Longmire made numerous comments over the season about the struggle the team had with such a young forward line and the unfair pressure that placed on Buddy. To get Menzel and then play him in the reserves defeats the entire purpose of getting him in the first place. Then again maybe I'm delusional and he'll get the Mitch Morton treatment.

I see Menzel being recruited as an attacking player to take pressure off Buddy. The coaches would be well aware of his strength and weaknesses but I'd see him being a best 22 player. That's not to say he gets to just waltz into firsts without any commitment to training but Longmire made numerous comments over the season about the struggle the team had with such a young forward line and the unfair pressure that placed on Buddy. To get Menzel and then play him in the reserves defeats the entire purpose of getting him in the first place. Then again maybe I'm delusional and he'll get the Mitch Morton treatment.
I hope so that it indicates a change towards a more attacking approach

Agree. Besides, Menzel's a different kettle of fish to a draft pick. No use trying to teach an old cat new tricks.
The message from Menzel the cat: Forget all about exercise. You wanna exercise then you do it. Your job is to feed me. Clean out the litter tray and I'll find my own patch of sun to lie in. I will do my own party tricks for your benefit when I choose.

Can Menzel play in the midfield or is he only built as a forward? Our forward line is looking very healthy between Menzel, Buddy, Reid, Ronke, Papley, Hayward, McCartin & Blakey

With his injuries Menzel is a forward- and a smart one. Lets not all go Horse please and move every forward out of the forward line!

With his injuries Menzel is a forward- and a smart one. Lets not all go Horse please and move every forward out of the forward line!
Steve Johnson, Buddy Franklin, Jarred Roughead, Robbie Grey, Chad Wingard, Ryan O'Keefe. They're all gone forwards who have been pushed into the midfield by their coaches at times because you want your best players on the field at all times. If Menzel can play in the midfield we should push him there

Steve Johnson, Buddy Franklin, Jarred Roughead, Robbie Grey, Chad Wingard, Ryan O'Keefe. They're all gone forwards who have been pushed into the midfield by their coaches at times because you want your best players on the field at all times. If Menzel can play in the midfield we should push him there

No we should leave our forwards where they kick goals. Menzel can easily kick 40+ if we leave him forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back