Past #27: Will Walker - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/4 NM goals - go well Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

Big year Willy boy. Looks to have caught some sun to, but the frames still light.

Incredible courage. War truly is hell especially the battlefields of WW1.

My grandfather was awarded the Military Medal in WW1. Your post prompted me to seek out his service records and found the description of what the award was for. I posted it in the random thoughts thread.

From memory the Military Medal was the second highest award for gallantry available to non officers after the Victoria Cross. I believe that the Military Medal was replaced by the Military Cross.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Late reply to this.

MC/MM is a third level medal, the Distinguished Conduct Medal/Destinguished Service Order (officers) was the second level medal below the VC for WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam fighting.

It was replaced by the Star of Gallantry in 1991 to remove rank from the medal.

I know this, because my grandfather won 2 DCM’s in Guinea and Italy in WW2.

Edit: Forgot to add, the DSO (officers) version of the DCM, is also a order of the british empire, recipients (like the VC) are entitled to post nominal letters of DSO, as well as being admitted into the Royal Distinguished Service Order, which ranks on the same tier as a British Knighthood in their honours system.

A DCM is entitled to post nominal lettering, no Order attached though.

Last edited:
I like Will's piece about his journey to getting drafted.

That year, I was in Year 12 at Melbourne High trying my best to make the Vic Metro squad but I was cut after the first round.

It hurt badly at the time, but I thought, 'If I’m not good enough, I’m not good enough' and concentrated on playing simply for the love for the game with the Sandringham Dragons.

Its almost exactly the same as my story, same school, same love for the game, and undoubted talent, but when I had the choice in Year 12 at MHS, well, journalism won that battle, and footy was the loser. Sadly.

GreatBradScott

"As the Dragons season came to end, interviews with recruiters from AFL clubs began. Given I’d never had a job through high school, it was pretty daunting and I wasn’t the best when it came to job interviews."

OK just liked him a little less. Posho. But, that probably just brings it back down to normal levels.

I like Will's piece about his journey to getting drafted.

Its almost exactly the same as my story, same school, same love for the game, and undoubted talent, but when I had the choice in Year 12 at MHS, well, journalism won that battle, and footy was the loser. Sadly.

GreatBradScott

TomSwift likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"As the Dragons season came to end, interviews with recruiters from AFL clubs began. Given I’d never had a job through high school, it was pretty daunting and I wasn’t the best when it came to job interviews."

OK just liked him a little less. Posho. But, that probably just brings it back down to normal levels.

Yes. Only here does not having a part time job turn you into Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Will Walker, is like myself, a good state school boy. Melbourne High ftw.

St8 Skoolz are gr8 skoolz

Dunno if Flemington/Debney Park HS in the late 70's would qualify.

I agree. You're not a real man unless your year 12 consists of high grades, footy, part-time job, and wooing women. The only thing that humbles you and makes you grow up faster is war.

I agree. You're not a real man unless your year 12 consists of high grades, footy, part-time job, and wooing women. The only thing that humbles you and makes you grow up faster is war.

Captaining the school netball team to the state final is right up there.

He's a man of mystery - we should call him the Phantom.

managed 3 of the 4 in my year 12 GG !

not saying which one I missed
But it suggests im either
Stupid
Crap at sport
Too rich to work
or uglier than a busted pie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back