Prediction Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t it be easier to just trade 19 for our future first and then we reverse the trade a pick later? Obviously with a smal upgrade our way maybe in future picks.

They get Briggs and 19.
Possible , but I think depend on GWS needs , GWS could still trade Carlton Future Second for a pick in the 20+ , if somebody they want are in that range after using pick 25 for Briggs.

Three first Rd pick next year could be handy .

Depends if you really want someone. I'd assume it's Rozee or someone like that. Still would have thought you'd want 3 picks not 1.
GWS still have enough talent that they only really need to add that one premium piece at a time. Any extra high draft picks might play significant time in the ressies until a spot opens up, which might encourage them to leave the club early.

I mean, they can say whatever they like, doesn't really mean anything unless they outright refuse to play outside Victoria. I agree that it really doesn't sound good, and honestly comes across as extremely immature. I'd rather avoid players like that to be honest
How so? - isn't that draft tampering as they are very much putting the interstate clubs on notice what their intentions are. If Izak Rankine came out and just said point blank he wants to be drafted by the Adelaide crows and does not want to leave SA and then trained with the crows this morning before heading over on a plane - every Vic commentator would be screaming draft tampering and the AFL would be jumping right on in. But if the AFL condone this and say and do nothing, then it is open slather from here on and clubs will be actively encouraging players to say anything to prevent them from going to rival clubs etc

GWS still have enough talent that they only really need to add that one premium piece at a time. Any extra high draft picks might play significant time in the ressies until a spot opens up, which might encourage them to leave the club early.
I agree , but that does not mean they are getting something lower to suite your opinion . Is better to have ten dollar in your bank and depreciated than I have nothing .

How so? - isn't that draft tampering as they are very much putting the interstate clubs on notice what their intentions are. If Izak Rankine came out and just said point blank he wants to be drafted by the Adelaide crows and does not want to leave SA and then trained with the crows this morning before heading over on a plane - every Vic commentator would be screaming draft tampering and the AFL would be jumping right on in. But if the AFL condone this and say and do nothing, then it is open slather from here on and clubs will be actively encouraging players to say anything to prevent them from going to rival clubs etc
But Rankine has said he’d prefer to say home. It’s not that different from what Max King has said.

Wow, those King twins not shying away from letting everyone know they don't want to leave Victoria! Max would love to be at Saint Kilda, and would prefer to be trading by the Saints, then follows it up by saying 'but you never know what happens.....', instead of the old 'but i'll be happy to play anywhere. Disgraceful.
Same with Ben King mentioning that he would rather stay in VIC and be picked up by the Bulldogs at pick 7 SPECIFICALLY. How do they get away with that s**t?
As soon as the AFL allowed Max to do his rehab there he was always going to be loyal to them. There's no indication Gold Coast are considering him with a top 3 pick so good luck to him stating his case for pick 4.

Ben King knows he isn't going top 4, the next Victorian club is the Dogs at 7, hence he's mentioned them. He can read a phantom draft like the rest of us. Port probably have the culture and infrastructure to pick him and keep him if they don't want Rozee. Gold Coast might not risk it, which is unfortunate for them but can you blame an 18 year old for not wanting to go there? I bet Brisbane could pick him up and have no issues at all right now.

There's a lot more SA draftees for 2 clubs than there are Vic draftees for 10 clubs. Where you this upset when Wingard refused to go to GWS? All in all if players flat out refuse to be drafted interstate and threaten restraint of trade it will eventually help the SA and WA clubs the most. I don't think that's entirely what is happening here, I think it's more just a small number of the top talents are a little precious and the Suns are on the stinky side, it should all correct itself for future years.

But Rankine has said he’d prefer to say home. It’s not that different from what Max King has said.

Devil is in the detail. Both Max King and Rankine have come out saying they'd 'love to play for the team they grew up supporting', which is absolutely fine, but at least Rankine has followed it up with 'but i'd love to be selected no matter what, and go anywhere. I believe he also came out and said he'd love to be the number 1 pick, so...

Both of the King brothers should be investigated for draft tampering.

If any of Caldwell, Hately, B. Smith or RCD made it to Geelong’s pick I reckon they’d be very happy.

Unlikely though.

Devil is in the detail. Both Max King and Rankine have come out saying they'd 'love to play for the team they grew up supporting', which is absolutely fine, but at least Rankine has followed it up with 'but i'd love to be selected no matter what, and go anywhere. I believe he also came out and said he'd love to be the number 1 pick, so...

Both of the King brothers should be investigated for draft tampering.
I don’t see it with the Kings sorry. I’ll give you the alleged whole Bailey Smith situation sounds very fishy.

Has that happened before? I seem to recall Wingard telling clubs he won't leave SA, and as such was taken a few picks later than he should have. I get that this all sounds bad, but honestly what can be done about it? Not to mention there has already been talk about Rankine making it clear he wants to be in SA. Nothing wrong with a kid saying they'd rather play in their home state - but there is everything wrong with telling a club you don't want to play for them if you were drafted there. I'm sure most of these kids would prefer to stick around in their home state, naturally.

Only solution I can honestly see is to ban all kids who nominate for the draft from talking to the media, then require all club interviews to be recorded for the purpose of auditing to stop them outright telling clubs not to draft them.

Initially, I doubt it, it will be like that within 10-20 years (4 or 5 EBA's) im sure.

Between 2 years of future picks (which will also come in) and the players you have taken on the night, there should be enough currency to get deals done for draftee's that you want.

I'm considering a scenario where you are looking for a particular position.

Say for example a ruckman expected to go top 5 falls to 12 and club X picks them up. They now have an oversupply of rucks after trading for one in the offseason thinking that this one wouldnt be available at their pick.
You'd then want to trade the established ruck on your list for another pick or kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Essendon (Shiel) and Collingwood (Beams) the only teams without a future first.

Brisbane traded their but got one back for Beams.

Yep so neither Essendon or Collingwood can trade any 2019 picks unless they acquire one from another club; which they could then on trade.

Adelaide, Carlton, Fremantle, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs are also unable to trade their future 2019 1sts having already traded out a future 2019 pick in other deals. Same again though they could trade a future first if they somehow landed one from another team.

It's open slather for the rest; Brisbane, Geelong, GWS, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney and West Coast.

Link to Fox sports article that details it:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...g/news-story/ccfc00e899e938f992f77c2e2f9a3606

I have and do factor games at other clubs.

As per my original post, I first assess the first 3 rounds as a break even point, then other later picks. You do unearth some great rookie selections, better than most clubs. I agree with you, your club does it better than most clubs, but it still isn't better than a 70% strike rate (no club does, consistently)

Prior to the last 3 years, I would have taken your recruitment and development departments, in a heartbeat

No probs.

With your last comment do you mean you're happier with Carltons now or you think Adelaide's selections have dropped away?

While the original post was incoherent rambling, I think the Kings have taken it to a new level.

A lot of kids say they'd prefer to stay home, not many name specific clubs and pick numbers.

Has that happened before? I seem to recall Wingard telling clubs he won't leave SA, and as such was taken a few picks later than he should have. I get that this all sounds bad, but honestly what can be done about it? Not to mention there has already been talk about Rankine making it clear he wants to be in SA. Nothing wrong with a kid saying they'd rather play in their home state - but there is everything wrong with telling a club you don't want to play for them if you were drafted there. I'm sure most of these kids would prefer to stick around in their home state, naturally.

Only solution I can honestly see is to ban all kids who nominate for the draft from talking to the media, then require all club interviews to be recorded for the purpose of auditing to stop them outright telling clubs not to draft them.

I believe he actually said "after his first contract".
In other words he said it without explicitly saying it.

If any of Caldwell, Hately, B. Smith or RCD made it to Geelong’s pick I reckon they’d be very happy.

Unlikely though.

I would've thought there's a reasonable chance for Hately or RCD. If Dogs take Ben King then Smith probably gets that far too.

They will only trade 19 if Adelaide bids on Briggs at 16, their preference is to keep that pick.

However trading it to the dogs with 11 for 7 and 27 also takes that pick out of the equation... The risk for the dogs is does a bid on west come before that... Wouldn't put it past Adelaide at 16 hey.
There is a risk but teh AFL has now said that teams do have the same 5 minute window to trade picks even after a bid so if a team at pick (say) 17 bids on West and we had pick 19, we still have the option to try and on-trade it for two later picks.

Just one more rule they seem to have made up on the fly.

There is a risk but teh AFL has now said that teams do have the same 5 minute window to trade picks even after a bid so if a team at pick (say) 17 bids on West and we had pick 19, we still have the option to try and on-trade it for two later picks.

Just one more rule they seem to have made up on the fly.

Maybe then trade it with WCE for their 2019 Rd 1, match the bid, then WCE trades pick 20 for the return of the 2019 Rd 1 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back