Cultural review of Australian cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

The next incident after the sandpaper one has already occured. Dinesh Chandimal was banned for ball tampering against the West Indies in July. He was given a 1 test ban (and a further 2 test and 4 ODIs for refusing to take the field after he was charged). The Sri Lankan board fought to get Chandimal off the charge and their fans cried racism. The Australian cricket fan who was so outraged by cheating would not even know it has occured.
What did he do?

Mints? Sandpaper? Fingernails?

The next incident after the sandpaper one has already occured. Dinesh Chandimal was banned for ball tampering against the West Indies in July. He was given a 1 test ban (and a further 2 test and 4 ODIs for refusing to take the field after he was charged). The Sri Lankan board fought to get Chandimal off the charge and their fans cried racism. The Australian cricket fan who was so outraged by cheating would not even know it has occured.
It's been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread already....

Unless you mean people who are fans of Australian cricket only. Cos they're the ones most likely to say the bans should be overturned.

It's been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread already....

Unless you mean people who are fans of Australian cricket only. Cos they're the ones most likely to say the bans should be overturned.
If you go through the thread you'll find most of those mentions have been made by either me or Belnakor. I only bring it up again because despite me mentioning it "a bunch of times" the post I quoted again seemed to have no idea that it had even happened.

Clarke-Liar2.jpg

What a liar, he's also been fined for slow over rates.

#teamWheatley

This narrative that Wheatley is pushing that the rotten culture in Australian cricket started with Clarke's captaincy is bizarre to say the least. The only thing that changed with Clarke is that we stopped winning so the 'confident arrogance' started looking like 'sore losing'. Ponting and Waugh certainly didn't lead a team of saints.

Probably true of many people. Others of us wated, and still, want the ICC rules to be much harsher - to me a year seems right for what is cheating. Of course it won't happen because one day an Indian might get caught.

This narrative that Wheatley is pushing that the rotten culture in Australian cricket started with Clarke's captaincy is bizarre to say the least. The only thing that changed with Clarke is that we stopped winning so the 'confident arrogance' started looking like 'sore losing'. Ponting and Waugh certainly didn't lead a team of saints.
I tend to think that the line he was trying to push was the selfish, sense of entitlement culture started with Clarke and I don’t think he did it well

That footage of the 1986 tied test was amazing

Greg Matthews 'interaction' with the crowd?!
Trivia/news

The umpire from that Match Dara Dotiwalla has passed away aged 85

(not that anybody asked)

Dara Dotiwalla (30 October 1933 – 30 January 2019) was a Indian cricket umpire.[1] He stood in six Test matches between 1982 and 1987, including the second ever Tied Test, and eight One Day International (ODI) games between 1982 and 1988.[2] He died on 30 January 2019, aged 85.[3][4]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the selection panel should basically only be the coach
I have to disagree there. A national cricket team isn't like a footy team. The national coach has little to no direct contact with bulk of players who may come under consideration. There is also a risk that a player who has an issue isn't going to want to talk to a selector but needs to talk to a coach - whether a technical or mental thing.

The selection panel needs to be outside the dressing room, and able to look across all the options. Its just going to be a natural tendency for a coach to develop relationships within a squad and not have as much contact with those outside it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back