Moved Thread Kayo Sports

Remove this Banner Ad

All fox sports channels run live through kayo so yes

Doesn’t look like it’ll be on demand though, looks like you can rewind a Foxtel channel 2.5 hours so if I’m home before 9 it’ll be sweet. Plus I can skip through all the crap they’ll be talking!

I watched a fair bit of it (MotoGP) overnight and got quite a bit of buffering. I'm on '50/20' fixed wireless NBN but I wouldn't normally expect buffering in the wee hours. I'm changing providers (Exetel, which is Optus based, to Optus) in the next day or two so we'll see how it goes but I won't continue with it if there's constant buffering. MotoGP is 720P max but I presume some other stuff is 1080P?

Other than that it has everything I want to watch on tv.

Good to hear a bit of feed back on it.

I love the price and everything it's got to offer, but it's clearly got a few major issues that would have to be sorted before I decide to pay for it.

I wouldn't want to be paying for it if you have buffering issues and if the casting problems continue.

Not sure when the phone app will be out but hopefully the issues will be solved by then.

Problem is the free trial only lasts a fortnight before you start paying and I can't see it all solved before that.

No major issues so far. The only time I really had any trouble buffering was the first few overs of the T20 against SA when demand probably would have been at its highest so far. Fixed and has been no issues since with other big events like the Socceroos and the T20 last night. Chomecasts great now with the app out - nothing fancy either just the standard chromecast.

Even though they still are in beta and have yet to officially launch I'd suggest the current product is good enough to pass as the final product tbh. Not getting the AFL Live Pass in 2019 and rolling with Kayo.

This might sound petty but surely the fact it's a streaming service is an issue? In a world where we're all about live tweeting, discussing etc a match, would the stream not be 20-30 sec behind (the ol' digital divide) compared to IRL and the cable/satellite service?

Often I'll be watching something 'live' on stream and it'll have already been tweeted about before it appears on my screen.

Not the biggest deal but worth discussing?

Sports package on Foxtel is $29 (on top of basic), if you get it and then cancel they offer a discount.

$25 seems very expensive unless you are a multi-sports nut.

I'm just footy and cricket, so it is way overpriced for me.

Looks like this is aimed at young-uns into AFL/NFL/NBA etc that cannot afford or do not want foxtel. It is a pretty big market and growing, so it might work.

The app is up for Android at least. So far, both from browser and app, I've had buffering issues when streaming to my first gen Chromecast and pic quality has been pretty average. But PC and phone have been fine and I note they say they only support second gen Chromecast.

Will probably drop it until they get through beta, but it's good to finally have fox without having to buy all the extra s**t.

Screen mirroring from my phone to my TV worked perfectly! Now I can watch the CFL Grey Cup live on TV :D:thumbsu:

Sports package on Foxtel is $29 (on top of basic), if you get it and then cancel they offer a discount.

$25 seems very expensive unless you are a multi-sports nut.

I'm just footy and cricket, so it is way overpriced for me.

Looks like this is aimed at young-uns into AFL/NFL/NBA etc that cannot afford or do not want foxtel. It is a pretty big market and growing, so it might work.
Huh? You only watch footy and cricket, pay $29 on top of whatever else they charge you for basic Foxtel plus any original install costs. But $25 with the ability to share the cost between another person over 2 different devices and pay half that is too expensive for you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reasonably priced? It's $300 for the ******* year just for sports
Yeah but get the $35 pack - share it with three mates and pay $11.66 pm each for 1080p footy.

Whitcan it after the footy finishes and youce paid what? 70 odd squid for the whole season?

As much as i hate rupert this is a bargain leveraged correctly.,

If they do this then i will finally lose foxtel and go with this. Im not fluffing around with chrome casts and apple tv etc
Mate i spend a lot of time installing smart tvs and chromecast / atv

Let me tell you cc/atv are far far superior to native os on smart tvs.

Less buggy - no fragmentation - i literally have just come from a customers house yesterday where they couldnt get freeview working, rang the tv manufacturer who guided them over the phone and bricked the tv - its now going in for repairs.

Ive had smart tvs reject routers (lgs are famous for this) - wifi keeps dropping off on others to the point where ive hardwired it at great expense.

Chromecast ant atv are rocksolid units with advantages on either side.

This might sound petty but surely the fact it's a streaming service is an issue? In a world where we're all about live tweeting, discussing etc a match, would the stream not be 20-30 sec behind (the ol' digital divide) compared to IRL and the cable/satellite service?

Often I'll be watching something 'live' on stream and it'll have already been tweeted about before it appears on my screen.

Not the biggest deal but worth discussing?
Do you mean because it's sport? Everyone streams Netflix without issue. Digital radio has a delay which is annoying if you're at a game or even watching on TV.

Foxtel Now box is on a Black Friday special today for $59. Is this a better option to stream Kayo through rather than buying a new chromecast? Anyone elseusing the Foxtel Now set up?

Mate i spend a lot of time installing smart tvs and chromecast / atv

Let me tell you cc/atv are far far superior to native os on smart tvs.

Less buggy - no fragmentation - i literally have just come from a customers house yesterday where they couldnt get freeview working, rang the tv manufacturer who guided them over the phone and bricked the tv - its now going in for repairs.

Ive had smart tvs reject routers (lgs are famous for this) - wifi keeps dropping off on others to the point where ive hardwired it at great expense.

Chromecast ant atv are rocksolid units with advantages on either side.
I accept that there is a lot of anti-Apple sentiment but I love my Apple TV. Disappointing that they are more expensive than the earlier models but from a functional perspective, I am very happy. And like most things Apple (not iTunes), it is trivial to set up and it "just works". Native apps for Netflix, Stan, Kayo Sports, Amazon Prime, Youtube, all the free-to-air apps (iView, SBS, 9Now, etc) work for me with no hassle at all.

It is rumoured that in 2019 Apple will release a TV dongle to compete with Chromecast and similar devices.

From what I know, Chromecast is also a great product and I'm tempted to get one myself just to play around with it.

A lot of people forget that with foxtel, normal satellite foxtel, you can share with people too on devices. I have mates who chip in each month and use their tablets for my full service.
Fine for watching on small devices sure. Have you ever tried plugging a laptop into a TV to watch AFL via Foxtel Go? It’s incredibly bad. For people that only have Foxtel for the AFL and want to watch it on a TV, this really sounds like it will be a much cheaper option.

Do you mean because it's sport? Everyone streams Netflix without issue. Digital radio has a delay which is annoying if you're at a game or even watching on TV.
Netflix isn't a "live medium", it's an on demand service.

I personally would find a stream delay (anywhere up to 20-30 seconds behind live) frustrating if watching a game. I follow games on social media and seeing events happen on my Twitter feed or an app for example, would not be an ideal experience.

That's the kind of thing that would arguably prevent me from switching. Cable/Satellite pay TV and digital radio's delay is all of a few seconds, live streaming is often much much further behind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back