The things we can all agree on thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

'Speculum Agendo' or whatever was an embarrassment. Neither the players, the fans nor the opposition can understand latin apparently, because our actions were pretty forgettable come finals time. It's power rangers territory - never again.

Adopted in 1966,at the suggestion of a player who played in our first final in 1957 and our first Grand Final.

Hopefully,those who were there would have appreciated the bugler who sat at the back of the stand in the 1950/60s.

Here's a recent photo.

Attachments

• Bugler.jpg
    Bugler.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 84
This is a bona fide great point. Instead of using Latin, which nobody uses any more, the marketing team should have taken a carpe diem approach and really put some thought into it rather than just pick our club motto ad hoc like they did. I was saying the same thing to my de facto partner last week. Just thought I would lend my support to your post pro bono. No quid pro quo expected here. The marketing team should never just copy our club motto verbatim as a marketing campaign. Next time I hope they don't prevail with the status quo and come up with something new.
Showed plenty of acumen using Latin as an agenda with aplomb, ah you get it.

Adopted in 1966,at the suggestion of a player who played in our first final in 1957 and our first Grand Final.
Not impressed. Brian Lake is also a Hawks premiership player, doesn't mean next years motto should be 'Asahi 4 lyfe'. Hate the grammar school vibe.

Not impressed. Brian Lake is also a Hawks premiership player, doesn't mean next years motto should be 'Asahi 4 lyfe'. Hate the grammar school vibe.

As a state school kid who loathes people who are toff for toff's sake - I have zero qualms with the latin motto and have no issue with the club using it. It's not like they just plucked the motto out of thin air - it has been part of the club for a large chunk of our history. It's also better than half the naff marketing phrases footy clubs come up with.

As a state school kid who loathes people who are toff for toff's sake - I have zero qualms with the latin motto and have no issue with the club using it. It's not like they just plucked the motto out of thin air - it has been part of the club for a large chunk of our history. It's also better than half the naff marketing phrases footy clubs come up with.
Footy marketing is naff by definition. But in the land of naff the latin man is not king.

If our motto means 'Let us be know by our actions', then come out and bloody say it. Makes me feel like the club is full of toffs like Kennett who think our boater hats, latin education and 'good breeding' will set us apart as a club.

Footy marketing is naff by definition. But in the land of naff the latin man is not king.

If our motto means 'Let us be know by our actions', then come out and bloody say it. Makes me feel like the club is full of toffs like Kennett who think our boater hats, latin education and 'good breeding' will set us apart as a club.

C'est la vie, mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back