Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
On a different note .....there was a huge chorus of posters who desperately wanted the club to chase Lachie Neale

Well, McHenry is 2 cm taller than Neale .....and has similar attributes ....TWT if he's as good, but Neale when he was drafted, was only considered an outside chance of making it in the AFL as a average paced small ....so you just never know

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
QUOTE: Snoopdog Phantom

Ned McHenry / Geelong Falcons / 178cm

Been on my radar for a while and whilst at times this year thought he probably didn’t do as much as I hoped his finish to the season was awesome. Some of his efforts vs Metro at the Champs to really stick in the mind. He reminds me a bit of Toby Greene. Really attacks the contest and wants to make things happen. He works hard defensively and is from all reports a pleasure to coach.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Ed McHenry (Geelong Falcons)

176cm, 67kg

DOB: July 2000

452879_610c756c7d5bb733b4a02e167074e0cb.JPG

Caught my eye a few times when watching I think it was the TAC Cup GF recently, with his energy and speed on the wing.

Article here says that in testing pre-Christmas he "delivered the best set of running results in Geelong Falcons history".

First he ran their first ever 16 on the beep test, then he won the 2km time trial in 6.03sec.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...s/news-story/73295bdd5ed477679fb1238f03ce89f3

Here are his stats for 2017 from Draft Central:

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/edward-mchenry/

Interesting that he averaged 18 disposals per game in both the TAC Cup and also the U18 Championships (where he also averaged an excellent 5.5 tackles).

Matt Balmer's scouting notes on his TAC Cup GF:

#8 Ed McHenry – The bottom-ager was again impressive and put his hand up for AFL Academy honours. His hands in close are very good and he was able to fire the ball out to the link players effectively. He is an effective kick going forward and found 21 disposals for the game

Draft Central's 2018 preview comments about him:

Edward McHenry (Geelong Falcons) 176cm | 67kg | Outside Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup: (11) 21.7 disposals | 4.1 marks | 4.1 tackles | 1.9 clearances | 3.9 inside 50s | 60% KE | 72% DE | 31% CP

The classy outside midfielder McHenry is a smaller size and a light frame, but he moves well and is a great kick of the football. He spreads across the ground and lays his fair share of tackles, so expect him to up his numbers across the board in 2018 with a great role in the middle next year.

One to watch in 2018.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
On a different note .....there was a huge chorus of posters who desperately wanted the club to chase Lachie Neale

Well, McHenry is 2 cm taller than Neale .....and has similar attributes ....TWT if he's as good, but Neale when he was drafted, was only considered an outside chance of making it in the AFL as a average paced small ....so you just never know
I'm interested that you were very vocal in your oppo to small mids generally and that we needed tall marking mids. Yet you were not overly keen on a player like Hately but seemingly happy with McHenry.

Do you think the game has changed - Richmond being the prototype "small side"?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I'm interested that you were very vocal in your oppo to small mids generally and that we needed tall marking mids. Yet you were not overly keen on a player like Hately but seemingly happy with McHenry.

Do you think the game has changed - Richmond being the prototype "small side"?
I've always been an advocate of marking mids .....my advocacy against Neale was based on having so many mids at around the 180cm mark ....in fact outside criticism was there was a sameness about our midfield and not enough diversity

But since then Greenwood has come into the midfield & I have hopes Fogarty will spend periods in the midfield as well .....so we've addressed that "sameness" issue, but also Neale was an inside mid & we had an abundance of those types .....McHenry and Jones add agility and a bit more speed than Neale offers

That said & on Hately ....I never said i disliked Hately, in fact I said I'd take him at #13, but had a bigger preference of taking Riley Collier_Dawkins, who I loved

My dislike, was taking Hately at #8

Re Richmond, no the game hasn't changed ....the traditional tall/small structures still prevail as Richmond looking to add more tall's is testament too
Pyke instigated the frontal pressure game when at West Coast, it got them into a GF when he was there .....Richmond did it out of neccessity, and it "shocked" the competition in the last 3rd of 2017 .....but Richmonds game was countered last year

Pyke is a strong advocate of Frontal pressure, Richmonds so called gameplan ....our trading / drafting shows where he is placing emphasis

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
"I have all kinds of things – ideas for businesses, ideas for inventions, ideas for things I want to do in my life, ideas for my coffee table I want to have when I'm older. I've got a massive list."

Hahaha good to see the young lad thinking about his future coffee table :)

Yeah, he wants a see-through coffee table that he can grow cactuses and plants in

WTF

I love this kid, it's hilarious

Yeah, he wants a see-through coffee table that he can grow cactuses and plants in

WTF

I love this kid, it's hilarious

Oh *, he's a kid after my own heart.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Left field thought.

Given the success of players we've drafted from the Falcons eg Danger, Doedee. I wonder if kids feel happier coming here knowing there is good development and so a good chance at a career.

Can imagine coaches there saying - don't complain, you'll do well by going there.

Edit - also when you hear those interviews you appreciate the value of a guy like Sloane to your club. All the kids know him, talk about him, want to be like him. Lot of off field value that Rory brings
I've thought the same.

We are a 'nerdy' club. You come here to play footy. High training standards, have to understand the game plan.

I know players will play up off field at times, but we have a low tolerance. If you lack discipline you will get found out pretty quickly, and the club will pick dmac instead. Even if the player has 10x the talent.

Its a good place to learn how to prepare and train, be the best you can be within a well drilled system, make a name.

Then * off home for more money.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I've thought the same.

We are a 'nerdy' club. You come here to play footy. High training standards, have to understand the game plan.

I know players will play up off field at times, but we have a low tolerance. If you lack discipline you will get found out pretty quickly, and the club will pick dmac instead. Even if the player has 10x the talent.

Its a good place to learn how to prepare and train, be the best you can be within a well drilled system, make a name.

Then **** off home for more money.
Posted this last year:

Are we seen as a stepping stone club?

A good club to get drafted to. Will be well looked after - good development coaches, strong reserves system, will get you fit, stable off-field, good facilities, learn the ins and outs of playing AFL football, fair traders. Provide a good stable grounding for your AFL career. Then after 2-3 years you'll have your choice of clubs to spend the majority of your career at. Low cost of living in Adelaide so you'll be able to save money and buy a house when you return home.

We're an AFL University course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Time will tell. Fox rankings had him at 27

But the Doedee pick shows that Hamish will go with what he knows and what he knows has turned out pretty well so far for talents picked early

I like the fact he's a bit of a larrikin.
Angwin was also a larrikin
I was worried a bit about Jones, but on reading a bit more, he seems OK, has some traits that I like - will be interesting to see how he goes vs Caldwell, who was my preference
Not convinced by McHenry, thought there were several better players available, but hey, what do I know, Hamish is the expert here. I do like his tackling and aggression at least. Pace worries me.

Crouch#44

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Happy you said this, Neale came to my thoughts looking at someone of the highlights

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Left field thought.

Given the success of players we've drafted from the Falcons eg Danger, Doedee. I wonder if kids feel happier coming here knowing there is good development and so a good chance at a career.

Can imagine coaches there saying - don't complain, you'll do well by going there.

Edit - also when you hear those interviews you appreciate the value of a guy like Sloane to your club. All the kids know him, talk about him, want to be like him. Lot of off field value that Rory brings
Follow Michael Turner on Twitter Pete, he's our type of guy footy and Politically wise believe me a great guy....He's the man behind the Falcons.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
6.03 is serious motoring. This kid will run over the top of everyone the more the game goes on.
For some context that is on pace for a 9:05 3,000m and the qualifying standard to make the national U18 3,000m is 9:10, and in this years South Australian U18 champs, the winning time was 9:12. So he is definitely a state top 3 level middle distance runner

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
This might sound like heresy but is pace more important than stamina for an outside player? Mightn’t a massively high endurance player find space more often than a crazy fast player with less endurance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back