Welcome to Brisbane, Ely Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

"Competitive midfielder with speed and a strong attack on the ball. He's got an incredible leap, clearly winning the standing vertical jump at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. Also performed among the best in the kicking test, the Yo-Yo test and in the agility test. A star in one-on-one contests, who also has clean hands at stoppages. Burst onto the scene with an impressive game for Vic Country as a late inclusion in the final match of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championship."

2018-SMITH-Ely.jpg

"Competitive midfielder with speed and a strong attack on the ball. He's got an incredible leap, clearly winning the standing vertical jump at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. Also performed among the best in the kicking test, the Yo-Yo test and in the agility test. A star in one-on-one contests, who also has clean hands at stoppages. Burst onto the scene with an impressive game for Vic Country as a late inclusion in the final match of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championship."

2018-SMITH-Ely.jpg
Are you coming around? The annual beltings at the Gabba getting the better of you?

Also Welcome Ely!

• Admin
Are you coming around? The annual beltings at the Gabba getting the better of you?

Also Welcome Ely!
No just doing the notices for welcome threads but none for this guy whoever he is.

Highlights show he is very good with his hands, has great vision, makes good decisions and is not easily stopped by tackles.

Loved watching those forward handballs, there is such a difference between winning the clearance with a slow moving backwards handball and one of those line breaking forward passages. Gives the forward so much more of a chance 1 on 1 with a quick ball in.

Loved watching those forward handballs, there is such a difference between winning the clearance with a slow moving backwards handball and one of those line breaking forward passages. Gives the forward so much more of a chance 1 on 1 with a quick ball in.
Yeah looking at his highlight clip he definitely uses his handpasses as a weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uses his body too - breaks arm tackles well, and can still get a quality ball away if wrapped up.

Is it just me or does his highlight reel remind anyone of a young D Beams. Loves to break tackles with great vision and skills to not only hit targets but put the ball in the advantage of his team mate.

Phone call with Zorks up on the Lions FB page. He's a man of few words, but I reckon he'll fit in quite well.

Someone earlier said Hodge could take this kid under his wing. The more I think about that the more I love the idea of it, especially thinking about how Hodgey goes about his game... and cleaned Heppell up during the year for example. Smith has a world of potential ready to be.. dare I say it... #UNCAGED...

Phone call with Zorks up on the Lions FB page. He's a man of few words, but I reckon he'll fit in quite well.

Someone earlier said Hodge could take this kid under his wing. The more I think about that the more I love the idea of it, especially thinking about how Hodgey goes about his game... and cleaned Heppell up during the year for example. Smith has a world of potential ready to be.. dare I say it... #UNCAGED...
Was a childhood Hawthorn fan too, he would have idolised Hodge

Was a childhood Hawthorn fan too, he would have idolised Hodge
We got a real moment at the draft night after Ely said he used to support Hawthorn, when Sam mentioned Hodgey and training with him Ely just lit up. You could tell how much it meant to the kid.

We got a real moment at the draft night after Ely said he used to support Hawthorn, when Sam mentioned Hodgey and training with him Ely just lit up. You could tell how much it meant to the kid.
Link to the video?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back