Game Day 2018 AFL Draft - Live Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Last two picks tell me that Freo are going to have a red-hot crack next season. Adding some mature players that help us stay the course for 22 rounds.
Yes it looks that way to me too. And to be honest, if Hogan and Bennell get up and about, we'd be a shot at Finals in terms of best 22 talent.

You cant really rubbish later round mature age picks these days, the ability with technology and scouting is easier with technology.
Alot of these guys are fairest and best for their clubs or runner up and even in their All-WAFL/VFL/SANFL team of the year etc.

And lets be honest, when people say mature age it makes them sound older than they are, Shultz is 20 and Bewley is 23. if they improve they have minimum 7 years in the AFL system.

Let them play before you judge a mature age pick.

Tom Stewart was picked at 40 and 24 years old
Ben Brown at 47 at 21 years old
Paul Puopolo was pick 66 and 23 years old plus many more

Theres also a whole bunch of rookie picks who are in their 20s who are very good players.

Yep, overall I'm very pleased with the lads we have brought in. We have finally focussed on players who kick the footy well and they all have some standout qualities. No WA players though :(. However, if the WA talent pool is weak there's no point in banking on it. Hope we don't regret passing on Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's highlights, but as an elite runner Bewley looks like an ideal winger to link the play. His long kicking is laser like and having a bloke who can consistently dob goals from outside 50 will be valuable.

Not getting too excited but looks like a pretty sound pick to me.

We went for upside with Sturt, and it is really exciting upside in my opinion.

The next three picks are much more in the what you see is what you get category, but all look decent prospects and bring depth in areas we need it.

Carter will join as Cat B, and again he brings excitement and upside.

Cat A....I'm not game to predict.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back