Pick #73 Riley Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea fills a need. Is super athletic. Can shut opposition down well. No rebound whatsoever. Some good traits to work with and he may be able to work on providing more with the ball.

At pick 74 why not.

Hope he makes it but haven’t lost anything if he doesn’t.

Hopefully gives the SANFL some more structure to allow players to play more to their roles than the team’s needs.

Grundy, who in just three years has gone from playing his first football match at age 15 to being one of just 13 SANFL players invited to this week’s AFL Draft Combine in Melbourne, is so inquisitive that he drove SA under-18 coach Tony Bamford mad during this year’s national carnival.

But Bamford said he loved every minute of question time.

“This kid is a really different personality — and I guess Brodie’s the same — but the thing I found most intriguing about Riley was that almost after every training session he would come in after I’d be packing up my computer or putting stuff away and he’d want to revisit the training session with me,’’ Bamford said.

“He just wanted clarity and to know that when he was going home that night that he was 100 per cent clear on what we were trying to teach him, that there was no grey area.

“I loved that about him because it is quite rare to be questioned by players like that. He’s switched on and I really enjoyed working with Riley.’’

Grundy, who showcased his mental ability at the combine by recording the highest score in the psychomotor test, said without all of his questions and the resulting feedback he would not be in draft contention.

“I’ve come from a long way back, not playing football until three years ago, so without seeking so much feedback I would have struggled to get to this point,’’ he said, adding that he had also leaned on Crows All-Australian backman Brodie Smith for advice in his role as under-18s defensive coach.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/515bcf48efd5a566779697541a181833

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully will be one of those draft smokeys in a few years.

I like that he’s asking for feedback and taking it on board. As long as his skill level can match his thirst for knowledge he’ll end up being a really great defender and the prototype for all our defenders, simply because he’s a blank slate.

Grundy, who in just three years has gone from playing his first football match at age 15 to being one of just 13 SANFL players invited to this week’s AFL Draft Combine in Melbourne, is so inquisitive that he drove SA under-18 coach Tony Bamford mad during this year’s national carnival.

But Bamford said he loved every minute of question time.

“This kid is a really different personality — and I guess Brodie’s the same — but the thing I found most intriguing about Riley was that almost after every training session he would come in after I’d be packing up my computer or putting stuff away and he’d want to revisit the training session with me,’’ Bamford said.

“He just wanted clarity and to know that when he was going home that night that he was 100 per cent clear on what we were trying to teach him, that there was no grey area.

“I loved that about him because it is quite rare to be questioned by players like that. He’s switched on and I really enjoyed working with Riley.’’

Grundy, who showcased his mental ability at the combine by recording the highest score in the psychomotor test, said without all of his questions and the resulting feedback he would not be in draft contention.

“I’ve come from a long way back, not playing football until three years ago, so without seeking so much feedback I would have struggled to get to this point,’’ he said, adding that he had also leaned on Crows All-Australian backman Brodie Smith for advice in his role as under-18s defensive coach.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/515bcf48efd5a566779697541a181833
Has the desire to improve and ability to listen and act on feedback. I like it.

Wow didn't know he only started playing 3 years ago. Definitely worth the late pick. Has natural talent.
Feeling good about this draft.

Chad Cornes would like to work with Grundy. He wants to learn and work hard and Chad can teach him plenty about being a top line AFL quality defender.

Looks like he has potential but his kicking action is very slow, hopefully he can work on that but is usually an innate skill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back