The washup of the trade/draft period

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
We finished the season in 12th spot, but funnily enough that had very little bearing on our draft picks outside of the first round since we came into 2018 having traded out our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks.

At the end of the season, our draft hand looked like this.

1st round: Ours (7), Melbourne's 1st (13)
2nd round: Carlton's 2nd (19)
3rd round: Carlton's 3rd (37)
4th round: Melbourne's 4th (67)

By the end of the trade and draft periods, here is the equation.

Out: Mitch McGovern, Picks 7, 13, 19, 37, 67
In: Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry, Will Hamill, Lachlan Sholl, Shane McAdam, Tyson Stengle

2019 pick swaps:
Out: 1st round, 3rd round, 4th round, 5th round
In: 1st round (Carlton), 2nd round (Carlton)

Obviously the swap of first round picks looks like a (potentially big) win at this stage. If all goes according to plan, our 3rd, 4th and 5th for Carlton's 2nd is probably good too.

Of course, getting into this position involved losing Jake Lever, which needs to be taken into account.

How well we've done will obviously be down to how well our haul of six players goes, and how well the Carlton vs Adelaide equation looks at the end of 2019.

Am I right in saying at this point for 2019 we have:
Carlton 1st Round
Our second Round pick
Carlton's second round pick
Our 6th Round pick and nothing in between?

Carlton 1st Round
Our second Round pick

That's my reading of it too, yes. Of course, nothing stopping us from just trading 2020 picks for some 2019 picks, haha. We can just keep doing it forever, I guess!

Here's the Stonesthrow 2018 Adelaide Draft review:

How we passed up on top line SA lads Luko, Rankine and Rozee is beyond me. Went and drafted some Victorians instead lol. I cannot for the life of me see why we selected player X, (who I know next to nothing about) over player Y (who I also know next to nothing about). Surely we could have selected all of our national draft picks in the rookie draft?? We really reached with those picks and I had them way down the order in my completely relevant 'Stonesthrow's draft rankings'. Another fail by the AFC who have form in selecting no body spuds.

In all seriousness we won't know how good our selections were until at least a few years time. I like that we have focused on tackling and skills.

The pick trade could make Carlton look very silly. I can't see Adelaide with a healthy list not pushing for top 4 again next year. Carlton on the other hand are no Brisbane Lions and I still see them near the bottom for another year or two.

Here's how I see it so far:

Trade Period
Average result, traded McGovern for acceptable currency but nothing amazing, got Stengle, packed up shop. Didn't position ourselves to get SA talent but the cost was insane

Drafted Players
Jones looks elite and the exact inside/outside player we need. Like what McHenry brings to the table, don't know much about him, but sounds like another ripping midfielder. Hamill also sounds like a strong selection with a mix of elite pace, endurance. Not sold on Scholl but who cares, pick 64.

We needed midfielders this draft, especially elite ones with inside/outside ability, and we got them. We also needed pace, and we got it. We also should be looking for ruck and key defensive backup but those positions are incredibly cheap to fill and I'd have been annoyed had we spent any significant currency on those areas.

No SA players is somewhat disappointing, but we were never in the mix for Luko/Rankine/Rozee. Hatley was the only serious target and I'd have preferred Jones/Caldwell over Hatley. If he was there at 13 that would have been great, but it wasn't to be. Valente always seemed a bit meh and the rest were later prospects.

Draft Live Trades
Absolutely smashed it out of the park in a phenomenal way. By far the best live trading of any club, and perhaps the best trades in the entire trade/draft period, and some of our best ever.

Getting Carlton's 2019 1st is huge, likely a top 4 pick for two double-digit picks. That's insane value and I'd have done that every day of the week. Ridiculous trading by Carlton. Then to grab Carlton's 2019 2nd off GWS for virtually nothing is just an absolute steal, ridiculous trading really.

Glad we did not sell the farm to move up. Instead we got some great players in this draft and have managed to get an extremely strong position next year for not much currency given up.

Yeah live trading we absolutely smashed it!

Gave up pick 19 to get carlton's 1st round i have them finishing 17th so pick 2. We also get there second round will be 20 if they finish 17th

So we have essentially traded our first next year pick 14-18 in that range for Pick 2.

This has to be apart of the McGovern deal on paper carlton look like *ing idiots.

Time will tell with recruiting but I thought we could of done a bit more to try and position ourselves a bit higher in the draft.

Based on the draft I think we would of got McAdam with a high third rounder. I think we over valued him to help the fallout from losing McGovern.

My main concern is the overall state of the list. I think this time next year we have major changes coming to our list with a number of retirements. I think we kept a few too many list cloggers and that is going to make next years list management much harder.

Carlton 1st Round
Our second Round pick
Correct. Lore has been super quick (thank you) and updated the 2019 Draft thread already to show where we stand for picks and points:
(Click "Picks & Points" at the bottom of the table)

I know where jumping all over Carlton, and I'm happy to kick em while there down as well. But do we know the strength of 2019 draft? Maybe they feel Stocker now is better than what they will get with (what was) their 1st round next year.

I still don't understand how we managed to wrangle out Carlton's second round pick. That's a serious pick - potentially something like pick 20. And we got it for a four-pick downgrade in the 20s, and a 5th round selection?

Talk about a Black Friday sale!

If you look at it this way (numbers only), then yes it is an awful trade by the giants. However they obviously targeted Hill as their man, and did what they needed to do to get a high quality (in their eyes) player into their club. Hill was rated by many to go mid to late teens.

We did well by offering to facilitate the trade and to drive a hard bargain. To be honest we were probably just lucky to have an early pick during day 2. There weere always going to be a few guns sliding to day 2 and clubs were likely queuing up after having the night to consider trade options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah live trading we absolutely smashed it!

Gave up pick 19 to get carlton's 1st round i have them finishing 17th so pick 2. We also get there second round will be 20 if they finish 17th

So we have essentially traded our first next year pick 14-18 in that range for Pick 2.

This has to be apart of the McGovern deal on paper carlton look like ruddy idiots.

To clarify, it wasn’t Carlton who chose to give their 2019 R2 to us; they handed it to GWS for Setterfield and it was the Giants who happily passed it to us.

[as background - Giants already have two 2019 first rounders (their own and Essendon’s via the Shiel trade). They don’t have a 2019 second rounder at all now though as they gave theirs back to the Bombers]

Pre-draft I wanted at least 3 mids types, which is what we got. I saw our needs as being 1 quick-ish inside leaning mid, 1 big bodied mid, and 1 outside leaning mid.
Jones and Hamill fit needs, while McHenry is not exactly a big bodied mid, so the only thing I would question is picking him over RCD. However, that just my interpretation of needs and doesn't take much consideration for their talent or any other factor that would make Ned a better pick.
No SA players is a little disappointing, but the cards just didn't fall that way, and it's not worth crying over.

I really like our trades during the draft, we could come up big winners. There some is a risk of course, but you don't get deals like that if they;re a sure thing. The people who are complaining the most about it blowing up in our face, are the same ones that always complain the club isn't bold enough, so I'm not really sure what the expect from the club.

Overall, I'm not over the moon, but I'm happy so far.

I still don't understand how we managed to wrangle out Carlton's second round pick. That's a serious pick - potentially something like pick 20. And we got it for a four-pick downgrade in the 20s, and a 5th round selection?

Mentioned it in the other thread, but I suspect Kieren Briggs had a lot to do with that -- GWS probably thought we'd be bidding on him and they'd lose pick 28 regardless, so from their perspective they gave up Carlton's pick for Hill. From our perspective, we just downgraded from 24 to 28 and picked up essentially a free top-25 pick, but from GWS's perspective, that pick 28 was next to worthless (since they were getting Briggs with or without it) so it was easy to throw in to ensure they got Hill. It's a weird quirk of the the AFL draft rules that make it so the same pick can have wildly disparate values to two different teams, and good on our team for recognizing it and taking full advantage.

If people think our premiership window is still open for another 2 years then this trade/draft period our starting 22 has gone backwards while we have added quality to our SANFL team.

If we are in a premiership window then this off season has been a fail, a D, and we still only have 1 genuine ruckman of AFL quality on our list.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, we weren't looking at a player like Stocker. We had our list and must've felt whoever was next on the list would still be available at our next pick and the one after is excess to needs. It was also a good opportunity to move up our first rounder next year. Potentially, could be an amazing move. I know Carlton and Crows both see this as a win in their eyes. I'm happy with the risk, but only time will tell.

Our trade with GWS was A+. We weren't looking at Hill, plus he seems like a flight risk, but GWS were in desperate need to move up 4 places to get him, so why not. We move up 3-3.5 rounds next year to take Carlton's second rounder. Perhaps a part of the deal was that we don't bid on Briggs as well. Honestly didn't think the live trading was going to be a success, but some other clubs enjoyed some good live trading as well to manipulate the point system, which I never thought about, so this is one change that actually benefited the game.

Wasn't sold on Hately at 8 and he wasn't there with our next, so I think most are in agreement that there wasn't much more we could've done to recruit any top SA talents. Also noticed we didn't recruit any Vic Metro kids. All in all, I'm happy with our recruits.

Im happy with our picks with the comp just as it stands but with all the good endurance runners we got i cant help but wonder whether we're anticipating some speed to come out of the game and some endurance to come up...a further drop in the rotations perhaps.

I’m on board with Jones at 8, I have a good feeling he’ll make a impact early on for us.

McHenry at 16 just feels like a bit of a reach (obviously I haven’t seen him play, and I do trust Ogilve and his team) but I’d have loved to go for someone like Collier-Dawkins instead with his extra size and strength over the ball.

The others I have no opinion on, but I would have thought Bailey Williams at 30 would be worth a punt.

So overall happy with what we did and absolutely thrilled to get pick 1 next year!

GWS banking on carlton finishing high, or did they forget it was carltons 2nd rounder and not their own?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back