List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gws gave up their pick and Carlton 2nd next year to move up about 4 spots in the 20s. If that's the asking price then thank **** Power wanted nothing to do with that

Depends how highly you rate the player. It looks dumb on paper, but I'd do that because I had him at 14 on my board and he's an X-factor type that we desperately need.

So in addition to all our own picks in next year's draft, we also have Hawthorn and North Melbourne's 3rd round picks? Is that right?

Nah I'm talking about using our second rounders to get a late first/early second

Ok I just checked all the live trades and found no picks between 12 to 22 being traded so I can’t see how it could have been done but like I say it’s not my special subject all this trading picks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn’t swans give up a future 2nd rounder? Whilst it may work out for them it’s no certainty.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They got a future 3rd rounder back, and effectively means they get to use a pick in the 20s this year and keep Blakey. Extremely clever and WCE benefit too, upgrade two spots in this years' draft plus and upgrade next year. Both clubs win.

In such a strong draft, where early 2nd/late 1st's were so valuable then why didn't we do something similar to what Sydney did with Blakey and trade out 27, to eat up the West bid with later picks and then trade it back in? So we could essentially take a player at 27 before West?

It just seems like we didn't capitalise on our good hand at all and played it very safe.
Firstly, Sydney didn't just trade out and then trade back in. Then downgraded their future 2nd to West Coast's future 3rd, which if they won another flag in 2019 would mean a pick at the end of the 3rd round (and worth very little). What Sydney did had a cost attached.

West was bid on at Pick 26. Trading to acquire Pick 25 or earlier would have meant giving up 30 and something else to do so. The going rate seemed to be 2 second rounders for a better second rounder at the time, so hypothetically that would be Pick 30 and our future 2nd.

Then when we hypothetically take a player at say 25, we would still have needed to find the points to match West, so the picks that became Vandermeer and Cavarra would have been wiped out to do that and we would have had to take another player onto our main list at the end of the draft alongside the Hayes selection.

A question to all those who are of the view that we should have traded up to Pick 25 or earlier with Pick 30 and something else, which player did you want us to take at Pick 25? Because nobody has mentioned a specific player yet.

Happy with the players taken.

But still very disappointed that we didn’t land a pick before west.

Trading down from 27 was the easy way out IMO.

We need quality, not quantity. We ended with an extra 2019 3rd rounder, but couldn’t find an extra blue chip first rounder.

Conservative, ineffective management in my view. I’m sure most disagree, but I’m unhappy with Powers inability to get it done.
I might be missing something, but I don't understand how we could have got it done.

Let's just assume 30 + 35 was offered to every single team with a pick between 15 and 25, and the offer was (probably rightly) rejected every time by those teams.

The only option that would viably have gotten a deal over the line would have been to add next year's second rounder, which, depending on our finishing position, would have our offer at a points value equivalent of between pick 4-10 - that to me would be bordering on crazy.

We were kissed on the d*** last year by getting Richards for a similar package of 3 second rounders (we gave up the points equivalent of Pick 4 for Pick 16), but it's very rare you'll come out better off when you get desperate to get a deal like that done.

We turned Pick 30 into Pick 36 (which using your terminology then got eaten up) and a future 3rd. Pick 30 would have been eaten up if we had sat on our hands, but instead we got maximum value for it, well played Sam Power. Yet you are unhappy, go figure.

It came out that Richmond were ready to swoop with live trades to get Smith if we did not take him at 7. So taking him then was the right play and had we doubled down to two lower picks we would have been made to look very foolish.

Nope. We have actually gained a 2019 3rd rounder which has cost us nothing.

You seem to be keen on the idea of using Pick 30 to change it into an earlier pick (and giving up the free 2019 3rd rounder to do so). Whilst this is equivalent in value, we would then still have needed to match the points on the West bid at Pick 26. Had we grabbed a pick in the 20s instead of 36 and a 2019 3rd rounder, we would have had Pick 26 but wouldn't have had the picks that went on Vandermeer and Cavarra. If we only had one more list spot to fill, going for a pick prior to Pick 30 would have made good sense, but we still had plenty of list spots to fill so what actually took place makes much more sense.
If we had traded pick 30 for a 2019 pick the West bid would have eaten pick 35 we then could have taken Vandermeer at 45 and Cavarra in the 4th and we would have had a 2109 R2 pick instead of a 2019 R3 pick.
The only out I can see for Power is if we really wanted Vandemeer and didn't think he would last to 45 but that seems unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given none of us have access to everyone's draft boards, you'd agree that there'd also be a risk that we could have lost both of them?
This is what I am saying. There is a lot of risk in this game but there is also a lot of reward and in my opinion Power did not do enough to maximise the chips we went in with.

I’m very happy with our selections today/yesterday in fact I’m stoked (heard that 50 times in the last 24 hrs). I think we’ve gone a long way to address some of the imbalance in our list and drafted kids with good footy IQ, vision and all are one touch players and there’s some genuine speed there too...

This is what I am saying. There is a lot of risk in this game but there is also a lot of reward and in my opinion Power did not do enough to maximise the chips we went in with.

As per Bazza28's post above, Freo had designs on Cavarra, which Power would have been well aware of, as there seems to be few real secrets in the trade industry. I understand what you're arguing, but without full knowledge of what options were considered and then actively discussed with other clubs, I don't see how you can categorically say Power did not do enough, in the same way no-one could say he did absolutely everything he could.

Instead of Hayes I would have preferred we go for someone with a bit more upside like Stack but all in all pretty happy with the draft.

What we've brought in are 4 players who are ready to contribute next year.

Our 2016 premiership was built on a deep list and competition for spots which we haven't had the last 2 years. Hopefully our additions help to see us rise up the ladder and get more out of the whole list.

Instead of Hayes I would have preferred we go for someone with a bit more upside like Stack but all in all pretty happy with the draft.
Does anyone here learn from previous drafts? Dayle Garlett? Dwayne Wilson? Willie Rioli back in his draft year?

It's not uncommon for a highly rated aboriginal player to be passed on by everyone in the ND. There's every chance clubs are concerned about something behind the scenes, but that never stops literally every supporter asking why their club didn't take that player, then proceeding to suggest they should take him in the rookie draft.

Hayes is a good pickup for that. Adds depth straight away and IMO is a decent upgrade on a few of the potatoes we had.

No world beater but can play a role in the right 22 for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back