List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Only aspect of our draft that I don’t see a rationale for. Seems a poor man’s Khamis. Why do we need two of them? Would have liked a different type of player there.

It's the rookie draft though, you don't draft for need there especially. With the remaining players very unlikely to make it, you grab the best available guy that you rate the highest with the best chance of turning into a AFL player. Sounds boring but you just need to take a swing on a guy who might become a player regardless of position.

Only aspect of our draft that I don’t see a rationale for. Seems a poor man’s Khamis. Why do we need two of them? Would have liked a different type of player there.
Clearly we wanted to take players with excellent disposal by foot. Just because they played back as juniors doesn't mean that they will stay there.

Is it just me, I did we just process the same draft as 2014?

2018-----------------------------------2014

Bailey Smith---------------------------Toby McLean

Rhylee West---------------------------Lukas Webb

Laitham Vandermeer-----------------Declan Hamilton

Ben Cavarra---------------------------Bailey Dale

Will Hayes----------------------------Caleb Daniel

Buku Khamis (Shenanigans)--------Zaine Cordy (F/S)

Looks like a good haul, but we’ve thrown height to the wind yet again. Then in 2015 we draft Collin and Adam based on desperate need and everyone jumped for joy (and they both ended s**t). Still… won the flag in 2016 I guess.

I’m too confused by our trading down of picks to understand if we did good or bad. Like others, it baffles me that we didn’t go after a ruck or tall backman when they were there, such as Bailey Williams II or Jacob Koschitzke, after the cuts we've had.

Did we outsmart ourselves playing games with the Khamis non-bid? Appears that we bumped the pick to next year and basically ensured no bit could scuttle us. Still come decent players on the board thought. Even Curtis Taylor looks like a handy player, because * it, we’re batting about 12 deep on mid and half back flankers, why not load up on mid-sized forwards too. Saves a senior list spot I guess (probably Fletcher Roberts, who is one our few tallish backs but has limited upside).

Mixed thoughts.

As per Bazza28's post above, Freo had designs on Cavarra, which Power would have been well aware of, as there seems to be few real secrets in the trade industry. I understand what you're arguing, but without full knowledge of what options were considered and then actively discussed with other clubs, I don't see how you can categorically say Power did not do enough, in the same way no-one could say he did absolutely everything he could.
I haven't said anything categorically I have only offered my opinion. Unfortunately when your opinion rubs against the grain in this place you quickly become a pariah. I completely understand that this may have been the perfect scenario for our list management team but I find that highly unlikely, particularly when Power himself said that they were aiming to get another pick late in the first round.

Who does he play ahead of for 16-20 games? I’ve seen a few VFL games and he seems a very good player at that level but I don’t see any traits that will stand out at afl. I would love to be wrong as it’s a great story and great considering the effort he’s put in. When watching the Willy game I thought Cavarra and a couple of the other Willy players were much more afl like players.
The "good vfl player who won't make it in the afl" gets bandied about here a lot. Most of this board were saying it about gowers earlier in the year. Sure, hayes might not make it, but give him a chance at AFL level before dubbing him below AFL quality.

Honestly, if Hayes was on our list this year, he probably would've played most weeks. We were consistently promoting players with significantly worse vfl form.

particularly when Power himself said that they were aiming to get another pick late in the first round.
Yeah, but unlike McCartney, only for the right price. Power certainly did aim to get another pick late in the first round but the asking price was too high.

I’ll be watching Khamis’ progress closely. Smoothest mover I’ve seen since JJ. Here’s hoping he can find his feet quickly, would love to see him playing in the firsts ASAP

We smartly kept him covered during the ND and then when it was clear that the others where unable to take him (because only our pick was left) we snatched Hayes. Clever use of the new system.

What would have happened if Melbourne thought the same way with Bedford?
The two clubs would have just kept on passing indefinitely trying to be last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly we wanted to take players with excellent disposal by foot. Just because they played back as juniors doesn't mean that they will stay there.
My thoughts exactly, let’s see how he develops before pigeon holeing him into one position. Looks to have some good traits to work with...

Yeah, but unlike McCartney, only for the right price. Power certainly did aim to get another pick late in the first round but the asking price was too high.
Sure but my point is if Power was prepared to trade out 30 and 35 to get back into the first round, then keeping them to draft West, Vandermeer and Cavarra was not the master plan and maybe we needed a better plan B rather than just using those picks to reach down the draft.

Honestly, if Hayes was on our list this year, he probably would've played most weeks. We were consistently promoting players with significantly worse vfl form.
With our injuries this year he would have played for sure. He’ll have his work cut out for him with a full list but he’s earned the chance so good luck to him I say.

The "good vfl player who won't make it in the afl" gets bandied about here a lot. Most of this board were saying it about gowers earlier in the year. Sure, hayes might not make it, but give him a chance at AFL level before dubbing him below AFL quality.

I watch VFL and I’ve seen him.
I’m not ‘dubbing’ him down I just have an opinion based on what I’ve seen with my own eyes. I said I hope he proves me wrong.
Gowers showed a lot more in terms of transferable traits such as his marking and aggression, especially in the vfl finals series.

I haven't said anything categorically I have only offered my opinion. Unfortunately when your opinion rubs against the grain in this place you quickly become a pariah. I completely understand that this may have been the perfect scenario for our list management team but I find that highly unlikely, particularly when Power himself said that they were aiming to get another pick late in the first round.
This place has become very precious recently. It’s a bit odd. Used to be great for debate. I’m even feeling a tad sympathetic towards MD!

What a great draft well done Sam

We needed outside speed a Ruckman and small forwards BANGGGGGGG!!!!!

Roughead-Sweet
Collins-Young
Smith-West
Dal-Cavarra
Honey-Hayes
Adams-Khamis
Redpath-Smith
Biggs-Vandermeer
Campbell-Gowers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back