Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

My cricket loving kids should not have to pay to watch their national team on TV in their home country. It's a ******* disgrace
There are plenty of cricket matches involving Australia that aren't on FTA. They've just added another half dozen. It's not that big a deal, tbh.

Righto mate..how bout you pay my subscription then?

I absolutely understand that a lot of people live pretty tightly financially.

But "welcome to the 21st century" is a pretty appropriate reply. In a developed world that has quickly moved away from terrestrial television and is watching their network tv online or through apps, and watching series and movies through iTunes and Netflix, it's not like you're locked into 70 bucks a month for Foxtel any more. While they're still ironing out the kinks in Kayo sports, being able to watch all this for 25 bucks is a game changer that, to me, makes it far less offensive that a code like cricket would sell a few games to pay television. (That's without mentioning that, when you're playing a big country ie. England and India, it takes literally 30 seconds to find a "free" stream.)

I'm still disgusted by the fact that CA have put all these international ODIs and T20s behind a paywall.

Basically a whole month where cricket isn't on FTA.

Sure you can watch them on Kayo or Foxtel or whatever but how many kids are going to be able to do that unless their parents will do that for them.

A generations of kids will be lost to the game.

So short sighted, all for a few extra dollars.
Its a disastrous decision

Cricket is in a very vulnerable position in Australia at the moment.

It used to be a premier sport that is now becoming secondary

I think this summer we will see it by indian fan attendance at games becoming almost embarrassing compared to the lukewarm australian support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I absolutely understand that a lot of people live pretty tightly financially.

But "welcome to the 21st century" is a pretty appropriate reply. In a developed world that has quickly moved away from terrestrial television and is watching their network tv online or through apps, and watching series and movies through iTunes and Netflix, it's not like you're locked into 70 bucks a month for Foxtel any more. While they're still ironing out the kinks in Kayo sports, being able to watch all this for 25 bucks is a game changer that, to me, makes it far less offensive that a code like cricket would sell a few games to pay television. (That's without mentioning that, when you're playing a big country ie. England and India, it takes literally 30 seconds to find a "free" stream.)

It's not that hard to find free streams for tech savvy adults but would kids or elderly people be able to watch games like that? Most probably wouldn't bother.

I think this summer we will see it by indian fan attendance at games becoming almost embarrassing compared to the lukewarm australian support.

CA are lucky India are touring here as the crowds would probably be disastrous like they were for the South Africa games here.

The games I fear for are the Tests against Sri Lanka, the crowd for those might be lamentable particularly if India touch us up.
I'll be interested to see what we get in Brisbane. We've always blamed low crowds on early November tests but we've got a day night test over the Australia day weekend this summer so it'll be hard to make excuses. If we are thrashed by India though it won't help.

Pretty confident the Australian support will be as strong as ever during the Test series. A few of the Indians I spoke to last night who were up and about for the T20 weren’t really interested in attending tests, whereas for Aussies it’s generally the opposite case.

The games I fear for are the Tests against Sri Lanka, the crowd for those might be lamentable particularly if India touch us up.

You can't fit a heap of people into Manuka Oval anyway, so that scheduling has probably turned out well. As a native Tasmanian I was pretty disappointed that Canberra got the 6th test rather than Hobart, but it's probably for the best now. The Hobart crowds would've been really terrible in the 6th test of a long, possibly hard-to-watch summer, but there'll be enough novelty value in Canberra that it will at least look good on tv.

Beat me to posting that.

Maximizing cash for the broadcasting rights was clearly the priority for CA, rather than promotion of the game.

The idiots running the joint clearly lost sight of why they were there.
CA spinning bullshit as well, saying it's not possible to broadcast cricket without Foxtel. Free-to-air channels now have multiple channels, 10 said they would broadcast everything, men's and women's. It's possible, they just wanted the cash now, screw the future.

Beat me to posting that.

Maximizing cash for the broadcasting rights was clearly the priority for CA, rather than promotion of the game.

The idiots running the joint clearly lost sight of why they were there.

Like the AFL admin CA are treating the game as a purely money making venture to help line their own pockets rather than being custodians of the game.

They've followed the AFL model of selling some exclusive games to Foxtel but at least the AFL still has some games on FTA each week, with the cricket situation now you have a whole month of the home season here with no games at all on FTA. That would be like the AFL not broadcasting any games on FTA for the first month of the footy season, you could just imagine the uproar from people if that happened.

CA spinning bullshit as well, saying it's not possible to broadcast cricket without Foxtel. Free-to-air channels now have multiple channels, 10 said they would broadcast everything, men's and women's. It's possible, they just wanted the cash now, screw the future.

The offer from Ch10 wasn't substantially less than the Ch7/Foxtel offer either, it seems like CA had already done some shady backroom deal which promised Foxtel some exclusive rights to international games here so weren't even open to the idea of other offers that could have kept all international games on FTA.

Cricket in this country has an existential crisis every decade or so. Bad attendance years happen relatively frequently and that forces it to change and then it bounces back.

Look I'd love to have it all on FTA but we won't know whether it is a disastrous decision or a stroke of genius for a few years. It's likely to be somewhere in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back