List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Day Thread

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This place has become very precious recently. It’s a bit odd. Used to be great for debate. I’m even feeling a tad sympathetic towards MD!
Agreed. I used to enjoy having discussions with people who had a different opinion - now it just feels like people want to shut you down and get back to the troll posts and masturbation jokes.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
So just after confirmation, Buku Khamis is not a Category B rookie? Is that right? And are we also a chance to sign Chatfield and Dawson as Cat B? And if Khamis is Cat B can we sign William as a pre-listed AFL player to fill up our Category A?

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So in the end nothing was gained by passing on him earlier in the day unless we were certain Hayes wasn’t going to make the rookie draft?

According to some website, a club can maintain up to 6 rookies and 3 cat B rookies, so delaying a bid for khamis allowed us to put him in the cat B basket, rather than a spot on the main list.

At 23yo, Hayes is either going to make a splash early or not at all, so makes sense to have a mature player available to play as requried on the main list.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
According to some website, a club can maintain up to 6 rookies and 3 cat B rookies, so delaying a bid for khamis allowed us to put him in the cat B basket, rather than a spot on the main list.

At 23yo, Hayes is either going to make a splash early or not at all, so makes sense to have a mature player available to play as requried on the main list.
The 5th and 6th rookie spots are only available to clubs who do not take 40 senior listed players (min is 38, max is 40).

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cant really comment on the players but can say the list balance is looking much better than this time last year.

Less perennially injured players - tick
Less spuds - tick
Less mediocre talls - tick

More goal kicking smalls - tick
More speed - tick

No JMac inspired arse reaming trades - tick

Only complaint is a two year contract for Jong rather than one. And the loss of Dahlhaus for SFA - the failure to motivate Dahl (creating the need to move him on) is on Dahl and Bev. And the seeming inability to take advantage of the GWS/GCS firesales.

Solid C for Power. Didn't do a lot wrong but nothing inspired either.

Last edited:

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does anyone here learn from previous drafts? Dayle Garlett? Dwayne Wilson? Willie Rioli back in his draft year?

It's not uncommon for a highly rated aboriginal player to be passed on by everyone in the ND. There's every chance clubs are concerned about something behind the scenes, but that never stops literally every supporter asking why their club didn't take that player, then proceeding to suggest they should take him in the rookie draft.
Not saying we should have taken him instead of Hayes. Just that it would be more exciting to have an unknown quantity with a lot of upside compared to someone who we already know what we're getting.
Hayes makes sense as he can come straight in and play a role and will probably end up playing more AFL than stack in the long run.

Leviticus

All Australian
Oct 15, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Overall, I am pretty happy with the trade / draft period and like the fact that we have bolstered the age profile quite neatly. Quite a number of the players are ready to go from round 1 (Duryea, Lloyd, Smith & West (on talent), Cavarra and Hayes), and on that point, most of the others are not totally wet behind the ears either as Vandermeer and Young are TAC over agers and Sweet is the SANFL Premiership winning ruckman with a couple of senior seasons under the belt. Only Khamis is raw but he has obvious talent.

I also feel the draft choices were astute from a list needs basis and the first two picks go straight to the all important engine room, the midfield.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sure but my point is if Power was prepared to trade out 30 and 35 to get back into the first round, then keeping them to draft West, Vandermeer and Cavarra was not the master plan and maybe we needed a better plan B rather than just using those picks to reach down the draft.

He was probably prepared to draft Sam Walsh at 35 too. Not really a useful observation, in the context of what actually happened.

The Eagles got 28 and 31 for the first pick in the 2nd round.

Our picks were 32 (where it ended up) and 35 (would have moved back further if not used on West).

What would you have done differently, out of interest?

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree. Last year we seemed to have a deep-ish list on paper - until you took into account the players whose injuries had effectively ended their careers (Clay, Red and possibly Picken and Webb), players who had probably checked out mentally well before season's end (Dahl, Biggs), honest triers who didn't add anything (Honeychurch, BTC, Collins), and those whose best had passed them by (Roughy).
I watch VFL and I’ve seen him.
I’m not ‘dubbing’ him down I just have an opinion based on what I’ve seen with my own eyes. I said I hope he proves me wrong.
Gowers showed a lot more in terms of transferable traits such as his marking and aggression, especially in the vfl finals series.

So ability to win high numbers of contested balls, elite endurance, 80 per cent plus disposal efficiency and kicking goals are not AFL transferable traits? Put him in a good side and he will look even better.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Cant really comment on the players but can say the list balance is looking much better than this time last year.

Less perennially injured players - tick
Less spuds - tick
Less mediocre talls - tick

More goal kicking smalls - tick
More speed - tick

No JMac inspired arse reaming trades - tick

Only complaint is a two year contract for Jong rather than one. And the loss of Dahlhaus for SFA - the failure to motivate Dahl (creating the need to move him on) is on Dahl and Bev. And the seeming inability to take advantage of the GWS/GCS firesales.

Solid C for Power. Didn't do a lot wrong but nothing inspired either.

Jury is out on less spuds. We may have just bought a bag! It doesn’t look like it but time will tell

DexterTan

Club Legend
May 11, 2007
Springfield, USA
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns, Charlotte Bobcats
This place has become very precious recently. It’s a bit odd. Used to be great for debate. I’m even feeling a tad sympathetic towards MD!

Meh, if I don't like the quality of a person's posts, I just put them on ignore. I don't need that kind of negatively in my life.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
So ability to win high numbers of contested balls, elite endurance, 80 per cent plus disposal efficiency and kicking goals are not AFL transferable traits? Put him in a good side and he will look even better.

I have the same veiw as Northern re Hayes.
At this stage your not right and neither are we.
But I can guarantee you this VP , I am hoping and praying you get the bragging rights .
I will be there rooting for him hoping he ends up having a solid AFL career !

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really stoked with what I've seen on each of our draftees' highlights videos but I guess every supporter says that about their new crop.
Looking forward to next year. A good 5 months away lol.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Agreed. I used to enjoy having discussions with people who had a different opinion - now it just feels like people want to shut you down and get back to the troll posts and masturbation jokes.

Funny, I thought I offered my opinion in response to yours - can’t see where I shut you down. I even said I understood your point of view - next time I won’t bother. I think the preciousness seems to be with yourself and northernsoul.

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Happy with the list correction and addition of some speed. I really like that Smith and Vandermeer seem to have a willingness to play on. We may have some good midfielders but imo it has been overrated. Not overrated individually but as a group so adding the quality of Smith and West is great. Hayes is good depth to have.

I'm really interested in what Richmond had ready to trade up to get Smith if we traded down, has anyone heard?

Not saying this to criticise him specifically (how can I, I don't even know how good he is), but you have to question the logic behind that sort of pick - an outside player who was an over-ager at TAC cup level and had very minimal statistical output, that was a reach versus the consensus. It's easy to make the safe calls, and the pick itself wasn't a highly make or break one, but you still have to put those sorts of unique selections through a critical lens.

Other than that, I think we played our draft strategy perfectly, even if I think we reached for Cavarra a bit (though I am happy to have him)

• Smith at pick 7, where in a deep draft he could have been a pick 3/4/5 in another year, also a player who I think has a very high "floor" and a good pickup
  • West, even if we don't necessarily "rate" him always gives us value given that we only had to pay 80% of the draft points that another club rated him at
  • Khamis slipping to us as a cat B rookie seems a steal
  • Cavarra and Hayes as mature-agers with later picks I'm happy with. We already have the young talent, so we don't need to add to it, adding solid depth whilst still young-ish and room for improvement is exactly what we can do with our final list spots.
  • Lachie Young another 19 year old who played half VFL and half Dandenong seems like one who slipped through the cracks
  • A ruck who made it to senior SANFL level by age 20 with plenty of developing to go
Seems like a good strategising draft. We took young players, but didn't leave ourselves beholden to drafting pure "18 year old upside" types, trying to find 19 year olds and young mature agers that slipped through the cracks as a definite theme.

We also have one rookie list spot left which we can use at any point until the beginning of the season to add, at any time, a player who has previously been before on an AFL list. I'd be looking at two-time Magery Medallist Mitch Grigg (who also kicked 6 and had 31 touches in a losing side in the SANFL GF) as one of them.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Funny, I thought I offered my opinion in response to yours - can’t see where I shut you down. I even said I understood your point of view - next time I won’t bother. I think the preciousness seems to be with yourself and northernsoul.
That post wasn't directed at you, I had no problem with anything you have said. It is really just the way that I have been feeling about this place more and more over the last couple of years.

But we risked losing Hayes ?
I guess he was just a bonus and it was a unique situation with Buku being able to be a Cat B rookie. If Buku couldn't have been Cat B'd I think we'd have just taken him at our initial last pick and then hope we got Hayes in the rookie but because of the Cat B it played out that way.

Looking forward to next year's nga kids.
Cooper Craig-Peters is currently our nominated NGA
He designed the indigenous jeresy this year

Strong inside mid that can play forward
Tackling machine at 183cm i believe

Back