Toast Fremantle's 4th 2018 National Draft Pick: Brett Bewley [Pick #59]

Remove this Banner Ad

I like picking proven mature age types at this range of the draft. If you go through the draft years, not many make it.

He looks to have all the tools to be a solid link up player. Also he looks like a type that could be a better player with quality players around him.

Not getting to excited though, If you showed me a video of Tucker at WAFL level with his numbers I'd be excited too.
totally agree.

You guys have got an absolute gem here. Have followed Brett closely over the years as he came from my local club. Not only a good footballer but a genuinely awesome kid. Has been so diligent on improving over the past 5 years it’s awesome to see him get rewarded. I get the feeling he’ll stop at nothing to repay the faith you’ve shown in him.

Was a Western Jets skipper, didn’t get picked up in his draft year because ‘he didn’t have any standout features’ and due to a number of jiggling injuries.

Spent two pre-seasons really focussing building up his legs & explosiveness Which resulted in him improving his kicking. Once he did that he really started to make his mark at VFL level.

Over the past two years he has taken his running capacity to an elite level after being criticised about his fitness. This has resulted in him being one of the most damaging footballers in the VFL. He is a real offensive weapon. 70-80m player, runs 20 kick 50 with precision.

The only criticism of him would be his one on one defending and some of his inside work. It’s not terrible but it’s areas he can improve on.

Hope he has a fantastic career with you.

Was a Western Jets skipper, didn’t get picked up in his draft year because ‘he didn’t have any standout features’ and due to a number of jiggling injuries.
Jiggling injuries?? I don't like the sound of that!! :eek:;)

Congratulations Freo. Williamstown is my local team and I go to all the home games and finals. Bewley's kicking is a weapon and his fitness has gone to another level, as has the size of his legs. He was always a beautiful kick but is now also a gut-running beast and is ready to play.
Lachie Schultz is a ripping kid and is a great pickup also. He is a fantastic mark for his size, tackles with intent and has real footy smarts. You should always play him against Richmond-tears them a new one every time in the VFL!
Both have a real crack are great team players and will only improve as full-time footballers.
I am rapt for both players and hope it pays off for Freo in spades.

As a couple of other Vics have said, this pick is a gem. Bewley is one of the best kick's I've seen, period. Penetrative, accurate and low to the ground normally. His speed serves him well off half back and on the wing, but he's a bit defensively poor which is my only major knock on him. Not that he doesn't work hard, just sometimes can concede poor goals.

As a couple of other Vics have said, this pick is a gem. Bewley is one of the best kick's I've seen, period. Penetrative, accurate and low to the ground normally. His speed serves him well off half back and on the wing, but he's a bit defensively poor which is my only major knock on him. Not that he doesn't work hard, just sometimes can concede poor goals.
interesting.

Could he play off half back round 1 next year?

interesting.

Could he play off half back round 1 next year?
That's where he's played most of his footy. I think he's better served on a wing, where defensive accountability isn't quite as important. He'll work hard defensively but he won't have the burdens of minding a man quite as much.

That's where he's played most of his footy. I think he's better served on a wing, where defensive accountability isn't quite as important. He'll work hard defensively but he won't have the burdens of minding a man quite as much.
what's the reason behind the lack of defensive skills? is it mental concentration or strength or ball watching?

what's the reason behind the lack of defensive skills? is it mental concentration or strength or ball watching?
Honestly don't know. He works hard but his man just seems to find space despite the speed of Bewley. I haven't noticed too much ball watching but that's probably the best explanation.

I suspect we'll build better defensive accountability into his game. Luke Ryan had similar question marks about his defending before we picked him up, he's worked on it and now I'd say he's one of our best defensively. His kicking would be a weapon off half back alongside Ryan and Nathan Wilson - and all three would be deadly kicking inside 50 when we lock the ball forward. Our best pick other than our 1st on Sturt imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read somewhere that he topped ALL national draft combine lists nationally for the YoYo, and ran a sub 3.0 second 20m sprint on his SECOND attempt.

Plus - he's built! I also note that he's a very effective longer kick - Sutty used to excel at this in the early days of his career, and I love that with Brett we're seemingly bringing that into our midfield.

Another good pick up IMO - methinks the later mature picks is Belly's work, if so I doff my hat to him.

Gotta say, I'm, very, very pleased with this this years acquisitions so far. Get Carter as a Cat B and call this one a wrap.

Think I like most about our mature-age recruits is it'll help stop any more Geelong 2018 blow-outs. Nothing more demoralising or mentally damaging to the confidence of our younger brigade than getting thumped week after week.

Brett and Lachie look to be solid performers and will take the some of the midfield pressure off of Crowden, Cerra, Banfield and Brayshaw as they develop.

And also - for the first time in a long time - I don't see any significant holes in our list that we desperately need to cover.

Next year's best 22 is going to look VERY interesting!!

Only glaring hole I see now is a lock down back pocket ala Neville Jetta. Other than that, we are building a good solid list

I’m not sold he’s a lock down back pocket. I could see him being a half back flanker
Haven't watched a Peel game in the past three years have you? He's definitely a lock down defender. Towelled up Liam Ryan every time he played on him - plus pretty much every forward he's ever played on. He's comfortable when he has a clear man to defend against - hence why he was debuted as a defensive forward. Has speed, decent agility and the advantage of height over a lot of small forwards. Doesn't have the penetrating kick nor willingness to run the ball to be a half backer though imo.

Haven't watched a Peel game in the past three years have you? He's definitely a lock down defender. Towelled up Liam Ryan every time he played on him - plus pretty much every forward he's ever played on. He's comfortable when he has a clear man to defend against - hence why he was debuted as a defensive forward. Has speed, decent agility and the advantage of height over a lot of small forwards. Doesn't have the penetrating kick nor willingness to run the ball to be a half backer though imo.

I guess I’m more focused on the back pocket part of things. I’m not talking about playing on Liam Ryan.... I want someone to stop Rioli, Greene, betts and Wingard.. small forwards not mid sized forwards

I guess I’m more focused on the back pocket part of things. I’m not talking about playing on Liam Ryan.... I want someone to stop Rioli, Greene, betts and Wingard.. small forwards not mid sized forwards
Ummm. That's the one thing Nyhuis excells at. Destroyed Robbie Gray in that Port game.... before he actually destroyed him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back