Toast Welcome Matthew Parker

WAFL star's 'best life' brings AFL dream into focus
Travis King Oct 27, 2018 8:00AM

matthewparker768x432.jpg

Matthew Parker's good form has caught the attention of AFL clubs ahead of the draft. Picture: Twitter / South Fremantle FC
Related
SOUTH Fremantle dynamo Matthew Parker never aspired to play AFL until he met partner Shardah, and found inspiration to succeed and become a role model for their eight-month old son, Matthew jnr.

After lighting up the WAFL with 27 goals (and 21 behinds) this season, Parker, 22, has rocketed into draft calculations.

Next month, he could follow the path of ex-teammate and now Geelong star Tim Kelly by joining AFL ranks, with Gold Coast understood to be among the interested clubs.

Speaking to AFL.com.au, the electrifying 187cm forward admitted he never would have been in this position without his small family giving him purpose.

NAB AFL DRAFT HUB Latest news, video and more

"I've been through life lessons, hard ways, and now it's the best life I've been living," Parker said.

"I know I can do it for myself, but I've got that motivation for my partner and my boy.

"Definitely my partner changed me in the best way possible. She's great, we're heading on two years (together) now.

"She's just changed me completely, got my head screwed on with what I really want in life.

"It's not just for me, it's for my little family that I have now. I want to succeed so they can succeed as well.

"In the end, I just want to make them happy."

BEST OF THE BEST Combine's standout performers

Parker was grateful to family member and teammate Marlion Pickett – also on the Suns' radar – for pushing him to have another crack at the WAFL last year after a season with Perth's reserves in 2015.

"I didn't want (AFL) footy at all. I just went down a different track. I just played amateur footy here and there," Parker said.

"Then I think my mind clicked and I thought 'I'm pretty good down at amateurs, let's see if I can bump it up to WAFL'. Souths gave me an opportunity.

"All credit to Marlion, he got me down there and then he's just been a big inspiration.

"It's a great honour being there side by side with him as well."

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's picks

Parker spent most of last year in the Bulldogs' reserves after arriving at the club on the eve of the season, but forced coach Todd Curley to pick him late in the campaign through sheer weight of performance.

He booted 12 goals in seven senior games, including three against Fremantle-aligned Peel in a qualifying final loss, and kicked on in 2018 to become one of WA's brightest mature-age prospects.

He averaged 13 disposals and more than four tackles in 20 matches, modelling his high-pressure brand on retired Hawthorn superstar Cyril Rioli.

"I just try to play natural footy. Some fluky stuff, I try to say natural, but some fluky stuff," Parker said with a smile.

"I just try to make it defence first, pressure, all that fancy stuff will come but just do the team thing first."

PHANTOM FORM GUIDE Cal Twomey's latest update

Curley has fielded calls from several clubs enquiring about Parker, and backed him to make the step up if given the chance.

"He's really quick and competitive, and got a knack for kicking goals," Curley told AFL.com.au.

"The things you would pick him up for are speed, agility – those raw aspects that you can't train for, you're born with them.

"He's not a big guy, physically, but he does crack in. In the right team, I think he could certainly have an impact.

"He's certainly grown up, but he's been great from the moment he walked in the door for us.

"Marlion took him under his wing a fair bit, they're pretty close."

Matthew Parker in action at the WA Combine. Picture: West Australian Football Commission

ParkerRun2048.jpg

Invited to test at the WA Draft Combine, Parker showcased his pace by stopping the clock with a personal best 2.95-second 20m sprint.

He also ran a decent 20.6 in the Yo-Yo test, performing well under the watchful gaze of club recruiters.

"It's a great opportunity, being interviewed and getting spoken to," Parker said.

"It's the first time it's ever happened, so I'm pretty excited but I've just got to keep a cool head.

"I've been around, seen a bit, but seeing this is the best thing I've seen in my life."

Matthew PARKER (South Fremantle WAFL)

Totals
  • 18 games
  • 26 goals
  • 18 behinds
  • 1 time in best players list

Averages
  • 9.4 kicks
  • 3.7 handballs
  • 13.1 disposals
  • 3.0 marks
  • 4.3 tackles
  • 0.9 clearances
  • 0.7 frees for
  • 0.9 frees against
  • 2.7 inside 50s
  • 0.3 rebound 50s
  • 69.44 DT points

Totals
  • 7 games
  • 12 goals
  • 7 behinds
  • 2 times in best players list

Averages
  • 10.6 kicks
  • 3.9 handballs
  • 14.4 disposals
  • 4.4 marks
  • 2.7 tackles
  • 1.0 clearances
  • 1.1 frees for
  • 1.6 frees against
  • 4.0 inside 50s
  • 0.6 rebound 50s
  • 71.29 DT points

You got a good one here. I wanted him at one of our picks in the 50s. As a South Freo fan, I have seen a lot of him and one thing you can guarantee is he will go hard at the contest. He has a lot of mongrel in him which can cause him to give away some silly free kicks for being too aggressive but I'm sure that will be fixed at AFL level. The only thing to worry about is that he can be a bit inconsistent in his output. He'll have a couple of really good games and then go missing for a couple. Although, at times it would have been difficult being a forward in Souths forward line with so many targets to hit inside 50 which I think has contributed a bit to his inconsistency. Personally, I think getting onto an AFL list and devoting his waking hours to footy will do him the world of good.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
My mate had a bit to do with Matt coaching at Sth Freo ressies. He looks rough but a ripping kid who works hard. Will benefit from a full time program. Clever around goals and applies good pressure. He reminds me of a dusty-lite type of player. Needs consistency but I like the cut of his gib

https://thewest.com.au/sport/south-...hew-parker-drafted-by-st-kilda-ng-b881030144z

AFL draft 2018: Mature-age South Fremantle forward Matthew Parker drafted by St Kilda

Matthew Parker’s rapid rise has continued after he was picked by St Kilda in the AFL draft.

The exciting forward becomes the second mature-age player drafted from South Fremantle in as many years, following on from the success of midfielder Tim Kelly at Geelong....

The 22-year-old, who was snapped up with pick 47, made his WAFL debut for the Bulldogs less than 16 months ago, bursting onto the scene with a four-goal haul against West Perth.....

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
My mate had a bit to do with Matt coaching at Sth Freo ressies. He looks rough but a ripping kid who works hard. Will benefit from a full time program. Clever around goals and applies good pressure. He reminds me of a dusty-lite type of player. Needs consistency but I like the cut of his gib

What's a gib?

(Sorry, had to go the Homer Simpson reference)

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Nice read

"He has now played 27 senior games, kicked 39 goals and at 187cm and 79kg was one of the most explosive forwards in the WAFL this year.

Saints coach Alan Richardson believes his athletic pace and power will suit Marvel Stadium, St Kilda’s home ground.

“He had watched vision of me and he felt that the ground will suit my game,”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...t-kilda-offer-a-draft-lifeline-ng-b881030529z

upload_2018-11-24_10-31-15.png

Averaged 4.5 tackles a game in his last 10 WAFL games. Like Young, I think we will come to love his combination of speed and defensive intent, and everything above that will feel like a bonus.

If (and it's a very big if) he can make the best 22 along with Young, Hind and Long then opposition defenders are going to have to stay much closer to their man or run the risk of giving up easy yards.

Can just imagine the change rooms. Billings playing arianna grande. Parker comes in & says yea nah campaigner & puts in ice cube natural born killaz

Necking Beam and Coke UDLs before training while Latte sips his soy-milk, gluten-free frappachino. A few of our current players will be getting changed in the broom closet I reckon.

Back