Opinion What can the AFL do to make the draft more interesting?

What can the AFL do to make the draft more entertaining?

• Televise 1 U18 game in a prime time slot every week

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Make the U18 games certain raisers to the AFL

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Leave it as it was in 2018

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no point in showing a table of recruiters all with their arms crossed except for the bloke in front of the laptop who clicks the mouse once for 3 1/2 minutes each pick. Unless there is some robust discussion going on then the viewers should not see the recruiting teams at all. Get on to Champion Data and organise for 3-4 minutes of highlights of each pick.
NBA don’t show the teams recruiters.

My idea would be.

Gil comes out and tells the crowd of the pick.

1 minute of the Players highlights.

Have the player come out and be greeted by Gil and a rep from the club giving them a jumper.

Next pick.

There is no point in showing a table of recruiters all with their arms crossed except for the bloke in front of the laptop who clicks the mouse once for 3 1/2 minutes each pick. Unless there is some robust discussion going on then the viewers should not see the recruiting teams at all.
We want to see this...lol

Need to open up the currency.

They don't have enough room to move with the future trading of picks to move.

Open it right up like NBA / NFL.

-Include trading of current players.

-Better coverage - don’t need Tom Morris asking players what their favourite dinner is.

-Both sessions in the evening.

I enjoyed the live trading much more than I expected.

Have the draft over 1 night please. Just get it done. No mandatory 5 minute slots.
The first round would be done in 1 hour or less.

Get actual draft/talent experts and managers in the coverage that have actually seen and met many of these kids than King talking about the player through some highlight video he’s seen.

Last edited:
Make it say 2 minutes between picks (Call the pick as soon as it's picked too), if the club needs more time then they can ask for 2 minutes more.

Do it straight after the trade period, perhaps the next night.

Do it all over 1 single night, none of this 5 minute a pick stuff. Make it a mandatory 2-3mins between the first round picks, then as quick as possible after that. Trading players would be too hard IMO with the trading regulations here.

Why does it have to be interesting?
You could just as easily ask 'Why does it have to be boring?' Time was intentionally dragged out between picks, even before the first pick which was surely already decided prior to the draft, to provide unnecessary space for interviews, highlights and advertising. Maybe this worked reasonably OK on Foxtel but if SEN or the internet was the only source, the evening was thoroughly dull. Constant reminders on SEN that the club consultation time was sponsored by Tyrepower will dissuade me in the future from ever purchasing tyres from them. Finally, spreading the draft over 2 nights was plain ridiculous.

You could just as easily ask 'Why does it have to be boring?' Time was intentionally dragged out between picks, even before the first pick which was surely already decided prior to the draft, to provide unnecessary space for interviews, highlights and advertising. Maybe this worked reasonably OK on Foxtel but if SEN or the internet was the only source, the evening was thoroughly dull. Constant reminders on SEN that the club consultation time was sponsored by Tyrepower will dissuade me in the future from ever purchasing tyres from them. Finally, spreading the draft over 2 nights was plain ridiculous.

Except the title of the thread isn’t “how can they make the draft more boring”. If it was, one might well ask why a boring draft ought to be aspired to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time was intentionally dragged out between picks, even before the first pick which was surely already decided prior to the draft, to provide unnecessary space for interviews, highlights and advertising.
I assumed the mandatory 5 minutes was to allow the live trading to happen.

For me there is nothing they could do to make it interesting. The only way I'd be genuinely interested and invested in at as a spectacle would be if I was emotionally invested in the decisions through having seen them all play, but even if all u18 games were televised, i wouldn't watch them.

I enjoy reading about the draftees and watching their highlights, but for most of us our predraft opinion of these kids is shaped by a few with knowledge who write about them, but knowledge doesn't necessarily make you a good judge. So I'm skeptical of all the opinions.

Maybe cutting to a live game of nude twister, with listed afl and aflw players between picks might spice things up?

Last edited:
The new highlights of draftees is a step in the right direction. Just get rid of the 90s fighter game intro and do something similar on draft night.

I want the recruiters to read the picks from their tables. (Player 6 digit I.D. plus junior club and club recruited from.)
Have their tables back in the main room with the coaches handing out various guernseys.

Have the draft prospects not in slacks and dress shoes.

Make it a more casual setting like 2008 and prior.

Once the first round is done, have those names receive their media polo on the stage and not guernsey's.

Red button is brought back.

Hosts: Sarah Jones and Michael Ablett.

Set up a channel and give it a Red button which will allow you to watch hours upon hours of each draft prospect.

Easy really.

They have shown that technology will just let you down.

So instead they shoukd get chicks to dress like those at the boxing, round 1 girl walks out with the big number 1.

Each pick also has a big number card being shown.

Then we have girls come and collect each pick from the club and strutt up to the MC and hand over each envelope to announce each pick.

Its not hard people.......really!

Back