Past #39: Tom McKenzie - will play for NMFC VFL team

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you post some his inconsistencies mate?

I can't view the trade board.

KM - Noah Gown who I rate more highly than Thomas was available in the 40s. Same story with Sydney Stack who was overlooked despite being Western Australia's best talent. Curtis Taylor who I rated only one spot behind Thomas in my power rankings was still there. I thought Bailey Williams might have been but wasn't, but that can happen.

Thomas could be better than those guys. But with his running average and not doing much damage offensively. I'd be completely fine with passing on the equivalent of pick 13 in points, taking my guys and trading unnecessary picks to gain picks in 2019.

Pykie - Why do you keep running with this? It’s just frankly completely false.

He averaged over 25 touches and 3 goals a game in the 4 match academy series at an average of 187 ranking points. Which is over 30pts more than the next best player ever recorded in a Div 2/academy series by champion data in the last 25 years.

I mean he had a “quiet” champs but still finished in the top 10 statistical rankings by champion data for the series, despite having to play a chunk of it deep forward.

Oh yeah, and he topped the kicking test....

It’s ironic considering how highly you rate RCD despite averaging 12 touches a game at the same champs....

KM - I neither received stats nor watched the U18 Academy Series. It's a lesser level of competition than the TAC Cup, so it bares about as much significance as a school football match, so that's all the attention I give it.

In each of Thomas' U18 Championship games, and I saw all four, and the U18 practice matches, Thomas offered zero offence. His stuff defensively was terrific, he won the ball, no dramas with those aspects, but in terms of run, damage by foot, he did nothing fantastic. That's his game and what he offers.

RCD is not a finished product. If used outside the centre square, he goes missing. Put him in there and he can hurt opponents as heavily as any in the pool with that burst of acceleration and his kicking.

Pykie - Well thank you for finally admitting you’ve only seen him play 4 times. Understandable if that's your sample size.

The WAFL got colts 7 kids drafted tonight from 9 teams. (0 in top 10)
SANFL U/18 got 15 kids drafted from 8 teams. (3 in top 10)
Academy series had 10 kids drafted from 6 teams. (3 in top 10)

I'd say it's fairly competitive, unless you pay no attention to WAFL colts or SANFL u/18 either.

Can you post some his inconsistencies mate?

I can't view the trade board.
His Final Phantom Draft
14. North Melbourne *matching Adelaide's bid
Tarryn Thomas (TAS - North Melbourne Next Generation Academy)

His Analysis of the draft
Pick 8, North Melbourne: Tarryn Thomas
Doerre's Power Rankings:
Doerre says: A skillful talent who wins the ball and pressures the ball carrier to a high level. A higher bid than expected.
If I was North Melbourne's list manager: With Thomas rated outside of my top 20, I would have passed and allowed Adelaide to take him with the view that a similarly or possibly higher rated player would be available in the 40s. The athletic Bailey Williams may will be available in that range as a freakishly athletic key forward/ruckman, with Sydney Stack and Noah Gown two others who would represent value later in the draft.

What he said on the board when questioned:
"Noah Gown who I rate more highly than Thomas was available in the 40s. Same story with Sydney Stack who was overlooked despite being Western Australia's best talent. Curtis Taylor who I rated only one spot behind Thomas in my power rankings was still there. I thought Bailey Williams might have been but wasn't, but that can happen."

Wonder why he wasn’t drafted in the main draft

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's missed several drafts already and there are always good young kids available. This board isn't the only place with a "play the kids" mentality. This draft especially is sposed to be packed with goodness.

D'oh I was thinking of the other Tom. I had both threads open next to each other. Oops.

I don't get the angst over Doerre to be honest. Pfft.

KM - Noah Gown who I rate more highly than Thomas was available in the 40s. Same story with Sydney Stack who was overlooked despite being Western Australia's best talent. Curtis Taylor who I rated only one spot behind Thomas in my power rankings was still there. I thought Bailey Williams might have been but wasn't, but that can happen.

Thomas could be better than those guys. But with his running average and not doing much damage offensively. I'd be completely fine with passing on the equivalent of pick 13 in points, taking my guys and trading unnecessary picks to gain picks in 2019.

Pykie - Why do you keep running with this? It’s just frankly completely false.

He averaged over 25 touches and 3 goals a game in the 4 match academy series at an average of 187 ranking points. Which is over 30pts more than the next best player ever recorded in a Div 2/academy series by champion data in the last 25 years.

I mean he had a “quiet” champs but still finished in the top 10 statistical rankings by champion data for the series, despite having to play a chunk of it deep forward.

Oh yeah, and he topped the kicking test....

It’s ironic considering how highly you rate RCD despite averaging 12 touches a game at the same champs....

KM - I neither received stats nor watched the U18 Academy Series. It's a lesser level of competition than the TAC Cup, so it bares about as much significance as a school football match, so that's all the attention I give it.

In each of Thomas' U18 Championship games, and I saw all four, and the U18 practice matches, Thomas offered zero offence. His stuff defensively was terrific, he won the ball, no dramas with those aspects, but in terms of run, damage by foot, he did nothing fantastic. That's his game and what he offers.

RCD is not a finished product. If used outside the centre square, he goes missing. Put him in there and he can hurt opponents as heavily as any in the pool with that burst of acceleration and his kicking.

Pykie - Well thank you for finally admitting you’ve only seen him play 4 times. Understandable if that's your sample size.

The WAFL got colts 7 kids drafted tonight from 9 teams. (0 in top 10)
SANFL U/18 got 15 kids drafted from 8 teams. (3 in top 10)
Academy series had 10 kids drafted from 6 teams. (3 in top 10)

I'd say it's fairly competitive, unless you pay no attention to WAFL colts or SANFL u/18 either.

His Final Phantom Draft
14. North Melbourne *matching Adelaide's bid
Tarryn Thomas (TAS - North Melbourne Next Generation Academy)

His Analysis of the draft
Pick 8, North Melbourne: Tarryn Thomas
Doerre's Power Rankings:
Doerre says: A skillful talent who wins the ball and pressures the ball carrier to a high level. A higher bid than expected.
If I was North Melbourne's list manager: With Thomas rated outside of my top 20, I would have passed and allowed Adelaide to take him with the view that a similarly or possibly higher rated player would be available in the 40s. The athletic Bailey Williams may will be available in that range as a freakishly athletic key forward/ruckman, with Sydney Stack and Noah Gown two others who would represent value later in the draft.

What he said on the board when questioned:
"Noah Gown who I rate more highly than Thomas was available in the 40s. Same story with Sydney Stack who was overlooked despite being Western Australia's best talent. Curtis Taylor who I rated only one spot behind Thomas in my power rankings was still there. I thought Bailey Williams might have been but wasn't, but that can happen."

What. A. Pelican.

I don't get the angst over Doerre to be honest. Pfft.

I spose it comes with the fact that so many go to him as the resident BF expert on all things draft. It’s simply not the case, as proven by his Collingwood bias and his views on anything north Melbourne do.

I’m convinced he has never actually played a game of footy in his life.

In the Rookie Draft, Finnigan revealed how club champion and VFL/AFL games record holder, Brent Harvey, assisted with the acquisition of Tom McKenzie at pick 10.

“He did some work with Brent Harvey earlier this year at the Northern Knights,” Finnigan said.

“Boomer knows him quite well and we feel he’ll be a player that will thrive in an AFL environment and really get the best out of himself.

“Boomer gave us his thoughts and he was great with his opinion on Tom’s ability to improve and the upside that he has, so we took that on board when weighing up our options.

“Tom is a mid-defender-type who tested really well at the combine for both speed and endurance. He’s a beautiful kick of the football."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one?
AFL draft: Northern Knights Tom McKenzie a North Melbourne rookie
Tim Michell, Northcote Leader
November 25, 2018 9:19am
Subscriber only

TOM McKenzie described it as the “worst and best day of my life”.

Hours after the pacy Northern Knights midfielder was surprisingly overlooked in the AFL national draft, McKenzie was selected by North Melbourne at pick no. 10 in Friday’s rookie draft.

AFL DRAFT: KNIGHTS BOLSTER MCINERNEY CHOSEN BY SYDNEY

DOGS MATCH BID TO LAND FATHER-SON WEST

SHOLL CONTINUES CALDER’S ADELAIDE CONNECTION

“It’s been a pretty long day, starting from the national draft and to the end of that,” McKenzie said.

“To the point where I lost a bit of faith, whether I was going to get picked up this year.

“To get the surprise of getting picked up in the rookie, that’s just made my day and I am absolutely over the moon.”

McKenzie had long been considered the Knights’ top draft prospect, with some projections he would be chosen in the top 30 selections on Friday.

Instead, he endured a nervous wait between the national and rookie drafts, faced with the prospect his draft dream could be dashed.

“It was about a three-hour wait and that three hours felt like an eternity. I just watched a movie, tried to distract myself,” he said.

“I thought (the draft) was at six o’clock and it ended up that it got pushed a bit earlier.

“I didn’t see my name come up and I started getting all these messages and calls. It was actually a really good surprise.”

The Fitzroy Junior Football Club product passed the time between drafts watching Geostorm, a natural disaster film with the appropriate tagline Brave the Storm.

Fortunately, McKenzie’s day ended on a happier note when North Melbourne pounced.

“I didn’t want to hear from anyone at the end of the national and didn’t want to hear anything,” he said.

“I just had my phone basically off. Then I got the text from (my manager) and it all happened from there.

“I turned my internet on and I started getting messages galore from everyone. It was really great.”

McKenzie averaged 23 disposals, five marks and four tackles in seven TAC Cup matches this year, underlining his versatility by transitioning to an inside-mid role.
Tom McKenzie on the burst for Vic Metro during the Under-18 national carnival. Picture: Getty Images.

“I think his ability to play outside and then shift to the inside is really important in the modern game,” Knights talent manager Rhy Gieschen said.

“First couple of years at an AFL club he would be more of a wing/ halfback.

“But as he continues to get bigger and stronger I could definitely see him going inside and playing as a genuine midfielder as well.”
0:05
/
2:04
Walsh embracing no. 1 tag

Fitzroy JFC president Phil Murdoch said McKenzie’s innate ability to attract the footy had been evident from a young age.

“He just seemed to always get the ball and knew where the ball was,” he said.

“He could read where the ball was going to be. I think that’s the secret with some of these guys, they just get it.

“Whether it’s intuition, I don’t know. Tom knows where the ball is going to be.”

McKenzie met Roos legend and AFL games record holder Brent Harvey the day after being selected and will embark on his first AFL pre-season from Monday.

“They’ve told me it doesn’t matter if you’re a rookie or a national, you come in and you are on the same level playing field as everyone,” he said.

“Like every new player you come in, try and earn your stripes and hopefully build your way into getting into the senior team.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back