Best 22 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Especially for interstate clubs. It is so costly to invest 2 or 3 years into a good young player only to have them leave for next to nothing. They don’t make for quality depth either at that point in their careers.
For example, rather than have picks 9 and 11 I’d try and get pick 6. Having excess young players is a net loss for us.
I think a good example of how we should do it is the Taranto case.
I understand the logic for sure, but this year is an exception to the norm where the pool is both stronger and deeper than the median.
Our first 3 picks will get us players that would equate to 2 top 5 and a top 10 or 12 player in most other years.
We have already shown our hand regarding bringing in experienced players for this year by not doing it, and instead shedding them, there are a couple of MA players that we could be looking at but those 3 picks, plus Briggs and Mummy will be our draft in the main.

I understand the logic for sure, but this year is an exception to the norm where the pool is both stronger and deeper than the median.
Our first 3 picks will get us players that would equate to 2 top 5 and a top 10 or 12 player in most other years.
We have already shown our hand regarding bringing in experienced players for this year by not doing it, and instead shedding them, there are a couple of MA players that we could be looking at but those 3 picks, plus Briggs and Mummy will be our draft in the main.
Most likely that 2 of them don’t play for a couple of years and then head back interstate.

Most likely that 2 of them don’t play for a couple of years and then head back interstate.

It's always a possibility, depends whom is selected and for what hole. There are a dozen or so AFL ready players in what is likely to be the first 2 rounds.

I feel like we ended the trade period on a high note and our NEAFL team doesnt look so depleted anymore with depth back temporarily. On paper a very strong reserves team with lots to work with if we can steer clear of injuries. Patton still to return end of next year as well if his rehab goes smoothly.

Hoping all the boys can put in a good preseason. Very excited about Caldwell and Hill in particular. Though Hill is listed as a forward, feel his electrifying play style will be well suited to playing on the wing given his speed and quality ball use. Will take time however as he needs to bulk up slightly otherwise may get rag-dolled in the seniors. If his body holds up and he proves himself at NEAFL, can see him holding down a forward role like Liam Ryan and Rioli did at WCEs in their first season whilst rotating down the wing. It may be at the expense of perhaps Deledio who will likely need to be managed regardless throughout the season. If injuries hit, can see Bonar, Cumming, Sheridan, Caldwell, Shipley and Hately all pushing for spots.

Best 22
FB: Haynes Davis Shaw
HB: Kenners Corr Williams
C: Whitfield Ward Tomlinson
HF: Deledio Cameron Taranto
FF: Greene Himmelberg Langdon
R: Simpson/Mumford Kelly Coniglio
I/C: Hopper DeBoer Taylor Perryman

Reserves
FB: Stein Keefe Buntine
HB: Cumming Idun Finlayson
C: Sheridan Bonar Hill
HF: Lloyd Sproule D.Buckley
FF: Daniels Briggs J.Buckley
R: Flynn Caldwell Hateley
I/C: O'Hallaran Shipley Reid Brown

Last edited:
I feel like we ended the trade period on a high note and our NEAFL team doesnt look so depleted anymore with depth back temporarily. On paper a very strong reserves team with lots to work with if we can steer clear of injuries. Patton still to return end of next year as well if his rehab goes smoothly.

Hoping all the boys can put in a good preseason. Very excited about Caldwell and Hill in particular. Though Hill is listed as a forward, feel his electrifying play style will be well suited to playing on the wing given his speed and quality ball use. Will take time however as he needs to bulk up slightly otherwise may get rag-dolled in the seniors. If his body holds up and he proves himself at NEAFL, can see him holding down a forward role like Liam Ryan and Rioli did at WCEs in their first season whilst rotating down the wing. It may be at the expense of perhaps Deledio who will likely need to be managed regardless throughout the season. If injuries hit, can see Bonar, Cumming, Sheridan, Caldwell, Shipley and Hately all pushing for spots.

Best 22
HB: Kenners Corr Williams
C: Whitfield Ward Tomlinson
HF: Deledio Cameron Taranto
R: Simpson/Mumford Kelly Coniglio
I/C: Hopper DeBoer Taylor Perryman

Reserves
HB: Cumming Idun Finlayson
I/C: O'Hallaran Shipley Reid Brown

Pretty much the same split as what I would have at this stage and I think depending on pre season a few players will push their way into the 22, one thing is with Patton injured I can see a lack of depth for KPF so maybe TOJ or Tomlinson could have a run in the forward line although I expect Sproule and Flynn to have a run during the season. I think we will all be eagerly waiting any news on Greene after the surgery and also when the senior players are back for pre season to see who are on modified programs

Hopefully healthy competition sees them both succeed
I think next year will see the spotlight on Flynn. He needs to be pushing hard for selection as a firward/ruck. With Lobb gone I think that leaves a hole he can push into. I still think he wont be ready to be our primary ruck though. I will be watching him closely in the pre-season and looking for him to play both games at least.

Briggs is a years older than Flynn was when drafted and at 96kgs has a better physique than Flynn did when drafted. He's more likely to play early, but I'd still think next year expectations would be pretty low and that he develops now he's full time in the system.
Danny88 was right to me, that he's had a physical advantage so far, and from now on he won't.
He does look the goods on what I've seen though.

I think next year will see the spotlight on Flynn. He needs to be pushing hard for selection as a firward/ruck. With Lobb gone I think that leaves a hole he can push into. I still think he wont be ready to be our primary ruck though. I will be watching him closely in the pre-season and looking for him to play both games at least.

Briggs is a years older than Flynn was when drafted and at 96kgs has a better physique than Flynn did when drafted. He's more likely to play early, but I'd still think next year expectations would be pretty low and that he develops now he's full time in the system.
Danny88 was right to me, that he's had a physical advantage so far, and from now on he won't.

Agree on Flynn and him needing to impress early on in the season and with a strong pre season he could push to play as a forward ruck if the MC goes that way and coming into his 4th pre season he should have a good enough fitness base and the size to compete. I feel the club is conservative with making sure it doesn't play rucks too early and risk injuries but I still see Briggs able to play lead ruck in the NEAFL but I would be surprised if he debuts in 2019

Agree on Flynn and him needing to impress early on in the season and with a strong pre season he could push to play as a forward ruck if the MC goes that way and coming into his 4th pre season he should have a good enough fitness base and the size to compete. I feel the club is conservative with making sure it doesn't play rucks too early and risk injuries but I still see Briggs able to play lead ruck in the NEAFL but I would be surprised if he debuts in 2019
I meant more at AFL level, but I wasn't clear. Much more pressure and combativeness I think.

At NEAFL level ruck time can be managed to suit the player more. A player can also be moved if they're getting bashed up. At AFL level if you play it's just about the team needs as I see it.

Flynn is not agile enough or good enough runner for his size. Briggs is a similar size but much more athletic and powerful.

Flynn is not agile enough or good enough runner for his size. Briggs is a similar size but much more athletic and powerful.
Are you telling me that as gis9el or giving me your opinion?

If it's your opinion then fine, we'll see how it goes.

To my generation it's rude to make statements whichckearky are opinions. I do get for younger directions a more direct style is acceptable. I assume you're a generation or two younger than me?

I'm on the tail end of the Baby Boomers.

This is what I would go with.

I suspect Leon will select a bit more marking power and a bit less run.

(Reid to take Deledio’s place when Deledio gets injured.)

Best 22

FB: Taylor - Davis - Shaw
HB: Kennedy - Haynes - Williams (Perryman)
C: Whitfield - Ward - Kelly
HF: Deledio - Himmelberg - Hill (De Boer)
FF: Greene - Cameron - Langdon
R: Mumford - Taranto - Coniglio (Hopper, Bonar)

Unlucky:
- Tomlinson
- Corr
- Buntine
- Finlayson
- Lloyd
- Reid
- Patton
- Simpson

Developing:
- Caldwell
- Hateley
- O'Hallaran
- Cumming
- Idun
- Daniels
- Briggs
- Shipley

Break glass in emergency
- Stein
- Keefe
- Sheridan
- Sproule
- D. Buckley
- J. Buckley
- Flynn
- Brown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22

Unlucky:
- Tomlinson
- Corr
- Buntine
- Finlayson
- Lloyd
- Reid
- Patton
- Simpson

Developing:
- Caldwell
- Hateley
- O'Hallaran
- Cumming
- Idun
- Daniels
- Briggs
- Shipley

Break glass in emergency
- Stein
- Keefe
- Sheridan
- Sproule
- D. Buckley
- J. Buckley
- Flynn
- Brown
Realistically I just cannot see Tomlinson being left out of any 22 when fit.

Best 22

Unlucky:
- Tomlinson
- Corr
- Buntine
- Finlayson
- Lloyd
- Reid
- Patton
- Simpson

Developing:
- Caldwell
- Hateley
- O'Hallaran
- Cumming
- Idun
- Daniels
- Briggs
- Shipley

Break glass in emergency
- Stein
- Keefe
- Sheridan
- Sproule
- D. Buckley
- J. Buckley
- Flynn
- Brown
Hill won’t play much, if at all, in the ones in his first season. Too fragile.

Hill won’t play much, if at all, in the ones in his first season. Too fragile.
It's early days but I think of the first 4 picked he'd be the 4th played also
Hately most likely then Caldwell and OH for mine, Hately is not only the only one who has played against men, he also performed well when he did..

It's early days but I think of the first 4 picked he'd be the 4th played also
Hately most likely then Caldwell and OH for mine, Hately is not only the only one who has played against men, he also performed well when he did..
Fair enough if that’s right. I would think in general a seriously good pressure forward can contribute from year one like Dan Rioli but I have no idea about Hill specifically.

In that case I would sub in the next up small forward which I guess is Daniels.

Fair enough if that’s right. I would think in general a seriously good pressure forward can contribute from year one like Dan Rioli but I have no idea about Hill specifically.

In that case I would sub in the next up small forward which I guess is Daniels.
I expect Daniels to play a lot with another off-season. It seemed we didn't really want first year players at the pointy end last year.

Bonar didn't too much wrong that I noticed, neither did Daniels. Even Taylor could have played with a meniscus tear, accirding to the rehab report, but I completely get not pushing him. Langdon the obvious exception.

Not saying Hill wont play, but it might depend on his ability to reliability contribute defensive pressure as well as x factor.

My take at the moment is that there's 20 spots in the 'most likely' category (I don't like to say 'locked' at this point) for the first grade team - barring pre/early-season injury. I've taken Patton out due his existing injury but assume Greene & Shaw are OK for the majority of the season.

It's mix of observations on previous selections and my own view:
  • Tomlinson - I think Leon selects him every week providing his standards don't slip significantly; however, while I see him being played in the backline albeit with a utility role, depending on required team balance he could move to either a wing or even a forward utility role.
  • Corr/Taylor - I think there's only room for one of these guys; but Leon seems to like both in the team and this could push Tommo into another role (and remove one of the ? I have in the team).
  • I've bracketed Simpson/Mumford and think that Mumford may not play much (if any) NEAFL time if not in first grade.
  • Deledio's best position is a question for me - I have him taking a wing role as that's where he works best from when I've seen him live - the smooth transition from backline to forward line, but I am concerned about his durability & endurance so he could be put into a HF role instead.
  • I've put Taranto back into his previous midfielder playing HF role, but just as likely he moves into a permanent midfield role, opening up his previous role as midfielder/forward for someone else.
  • This leaves the two ? as a third tall (could be Tommo if pushed forward by selecting both Corr & Taylor; could be Flynn is given a chance with Mumford in firsts grade & Simpson in NEAFL supported by Briggs; could be Bonar, Shipley or Hately as 'taller' midfielders using Tommo as relief ruck from elsewhere) and a midfielder or midfielder/forward (which is where there would be opportunity for a guy such as Daniels, Hately, O'Halloran or Caldwell to have a great pre-season and grab a spot at the start of the season). Like others, I think Hill needs just a little longer to get ready, but you don't know for sure at this point - he could surprise. Reid & Lloyd would be the 'old reliable' options for the latter spot, but we need to be giving the young elite talent early opportunity IMHO. If O'Halloran, for example, showed elite traits early he could grab a wing role, pushing Deledio into a HF role and Taranto into the pure midfield rotation; leaving just the third tall spot to be filled. Then if Tommo is used there rather than backline, Corr & Taylor could both be selected and that's the team sorted. Inserting Sheridan vice O'Halloran would have the same effect. So a fair opportunity to impress in pre-season for many players.
  • Any early injuries (touch wood not) would open other opportunities.

Best 22
HB: Kennedy Corr/Taylor Williams
C: Whitfield Ward Deledio
HF: DeBoer Cameron Taranto
R: Simpson/Mumford Coniglio Kelly
I/C: Tomlinson Hopper ? ?

NEAFL (two required to be promoted to best 22)
HB: Cumming Taylor/Corr Finlayson
I/C: Idun O'Hallaran Shipley Reid Brown Perryman

Spare: Patton (inj) Mumford (if not firsts)

I like having the extra couple of players from the last couple of years (46 v 44 on the list), which will help cover injuries within the squad a little better and keep the NEAFL team a bit more coherent hopefully!

Last edited:
Bit surprised that MDB makes most peoples best 22
:) I'd offer you an AV/sig bet, but it doesn't really work when we support the same team. I'm pretty confident he'll remain in the keadership group and be in the core 16 players or so that Leon talks about to start the season. Anything's possible after that depending on performances.

I just dont think he's the sort if bloke who'll move backwards during pre-season training.

On the other hand guys like Bonar, Taylor and I think Daniels have to replace someone in the 22, so it's possible. A reasonable view in any case in my opinion. Bonar and Daniels particularly would be competing for a spot. :'(I refuse to accept injuries are a factor until and if I have to.

I think MDB still has a place in the best 22. I acknowledge others will be pushing for his spot, but think that at 28 (I think), he is actually in his footy prime, rather than on the decline.

Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Deledio Cameron Greene
Langdon Himmelberg DeBoer
Simpson Taranto Ward

Hopper Tomlinson Bonar Daniels

hey guys was wondering what type of role did Ward play this year?

Was he pushed out to a wing/outside wing this year with Hopper/Cogs/Taranto/Shiel in the middle?

Is he likely to play more as an on-baller next year?

hey guys was wondering what type of role did Ward play this year?

Was he pushed out to a wing/outside wing this year with Hopper/Cogs/Taranto/Shiel in the middle?

Is he likely to play more as an on-baller next year?
Ward played and will likely always play inside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back