Toast Rising Star Bailey Smith 28 disposals against Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

His Instagram bio includes a bible verse. Luke 14:11: for all those who exalt themselves shall be humbled, and those who humble themselves shall be exalted.

Gary Ablett jnr mk2 confirmed

Paraphrased by Lamar to modern testament - sit down lil bitch be humble :shoutyoldman:

Woah, absolute gun and he slid to 7. No doubt if there were less Adelaide players in the draft he would have been snatched up at 5 or 6.

Very happy with this selection.
Think he could well turn out to be a very good selection for us. Probable A Grader absolute jet just what we needed to add to our list

also loving the salt already from interstate club fans.

They hate bailey already and all because of rumours he didn’t want to go interstate.

Paddy Dow said the same things to clubs last year

Is there any actual report this happened?

Or is just a BF thing.

Just a bigfooty thing I’d think

Pykie appeared to think there was something to it, and he's actually a recruiter or very well connected thereabouts.

But if it were true you'd think there would be some report. And Pykie was sure on Gaff too.

Probably the AFL did circulate some notice as he reckons, but did it as business as usual.

If Smith was really doing that then I reckon he probably had a very good reason.

Anyone who's read my posts leading up to the draft would know I'm certainly not the most excited about him. Absolutely no objection to taking him with King and Rozee gone, but I do think his pace gets overrated a bit.

But one thing that does excite me is the prospect of him being hated by all the opposition supporters. We need a good villain in our team to extract the salt and tears from all the moaners, and it's beginning to look like pretty boy Bailey's just the lad we needed.

Is there any actual report this happened?

Or is just a BF thing.

Just a BF thing, but you know anything people read online these days is always facts. No one has provided any proof that the player in question who pushed aside Interstate clubs was in fact Smith, and even if he did, 100% he wasn't the only player in this years draft to, and nor that the player with "medical issues" was Smith. Just people putting the two and two together. Which is disgusting because some people are actually coming out and bagging Smith and calling him a mummys boy. That's why mods need to be more accountable on here and shut down such BS rumors before too many people suck it up and take it out on the player, who may not even be the player in question. People disgust me at times. No one knows a players circumstances for wanting to stay back. Could be a seriously legit reason to just being a mummys boy. Interstate fans need to STFU, all their cities are pretty much crap holes with nothing to do. Don't blame people not wanting to go there.

Anyone who's read my posts leading up to the draft would know I'm certainly not the most excited about him. Absolutely no objection to taking him with King and Rozee gone, but I do think his pace gets overrated a bit.

But one thing that does excite me is the prospect of him being hated by all the opposition supporters. We need a good villain in our team to extract the salt and tears from all the moaners, and it's beginning to look like pretty boy Bailey's just the lad we needed.
Haha there is a bit of the Stuart Broad about him isn't there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get a bit of an Adam Cooney vibe from him, putting aside the slight differences that they had in their preparations for their inevitable AFL careers.

I doubt that Smith has ever seen a Burger Ring and he would probably have an anaphylactic reaction if he ever did.

Must admit I'm not terribly excited by Smith, not to mention that if we recruit any more Bailey's the club is going to have to consider a name change to the Western Irish Creams....

Bailey Smith has the tools to make an immediate impact at the Western Bulldogs

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/eb374c82148a59e7ff98249d0600fcae

BAILEY Smith’s parents drove him to Whitten Oval last Tuesday for an 11th-hour meeting with the Western Bulldogs.

Vic Metro’s best midfielder shook hands with captain Easton Wood, chatted to coach Luke Beveridge about his recent exams and congratulated Marcus Bontempelli on re-signing that morning.

Smith was already fond of fellow Xavier College schoolboy Billy Gowers and by the time he climbed into the car to go home, he felt like a Bulldog.

“There was sort of no going back for me,” Smith, who is still 17 and doesn’t have his driver’s licence, said.

“I really wanted to become a Dog. I was just hoping I’d be coming in to see ‘The Bont’ next week as a teammate, which I will.

“I’m so pumped and just rapt that I’m a Dog.”

The Bulldogs used their No. 7 draft pick — their earliest selection since securing Bontempelli in 2013 — on Smith.

26bb757dfb21356e63d3fa72eb189094

Bailey Smith poses with Western Bulldogs skipper Easton Wood. Picture: Getty Images

“We were surprised he was still there,” Dogs list boss Sam Power said.

“Bailey’s just got a massive workrate. There’s not too much he does wrong, really.

“He’s got reasonable speed, elite endurance, his touch around the ball is pretty good and he’s a good kick.”

Beveridge doesn’t waste time with his top draft picks.

Josh Dunkley played in a premiership in his first season and last year’s first-rounders — Aaron Naughton and Ed Richards — combined for 39 games.

Smith is expected to add another lick of outside class next year, joining best best-and-fairest trifecta Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae and Bontempelli.

“He’s also got flexibility, and that’s one of the elements with Bailey that really appeals,” Power said.

“Long-term he’ll become a midfielder but initially he’s got the ability to play half-forward or half-back or on the wing.”

Smith — who is likely to move in with Wood until Christmas — averaged 176 SuperCoach points from his two TAC Cup games this year.

bc14383b66a6f946db87373f3dac2adb

Bailey Smith in action for Vic Metro. Picture: Getty Images

While an Achilles injury prematurely ended his year, the dedicated midfielder declared himself fit for pre-season.

The grandson of 1943 Richmond premiership player Leo Merrett is yet to crack open a beer, likes to cram in running and weights sessions most days and carefully fuels himself to maximise “brain function” and sustained energy.

As for his specialty in the kitchen?

“Eye fillet with mash and a red wine jus,” he said.

So where are those people here who made fun of his parents being at Whitten Oval again? Suggesting he is soft and cannot be without his parents? Strong lesson to why you should all stop trying to act psychic and assume things. Every other rational poster said his parents probably drove him in. Last minute call up, quickest way to get there, his parents drove him in. Also moving in with Easton Wood, so obviously he should handle that fine.

Btw why does our club force players to move out of home when they are already within range of Whitten Oval? Could probably save up more money being at home for a couple of years and takes the fun out of being independent at your own time. Not like its gonna make you play better or worse.

Well grounded individual, obviously would have been nervous as knowing at last minute you're meeting captain, coach and star player. Seems genuinely happy to be a Bulldog :)

Does seem very stoked to end up with us, must have been mutual for what each party can bring to the other.

Well spoken, or at least tries for his age, but has had a couple of sneaky social media deletes for some things you just can’t get away with at the big time hehehe

Not anything Bootsma like, if you don’t know what I’m on about

Remove this Banner Ad

Back