Which team is closer to playing in finals - Carlton, Gold Coast or St Kilda?

Which team do you think has the better list moving forward?

• Carlton

Votes: 245 57.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 138 32.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton finals in 2019?

From 2 wins this year to 12 wins the next.

That would be something.
I'll start this off by saying I don't expect us to win more then 4-8 games but it is possible to make such a jump in an off season particularly now with the game being so much about intensity of effort.

Collingwood +6 (2018)
Richmond +7 Hawks -7 (2017)
Freo -13 (2016)
West Coast +13 (2011)

GWS 2013 onwards more likely trajectory +5 +5 +5 3 years in a row.

I'd suggest the 2 win season isn't reflective of where we were at, we played as many kids in 2017 and won 6 games and the only guy we have lost since then is gibbs, docherty/murphy probably cost us a couple of wins this year by being out all season. Added to that the only players we won't get improvement from are Simpson, ed Curnow & Kruezer, even Murphy will add to his efforts of 2018.

9-11 wins is possible if everything goes right, probably wont but it is possible.

Thought it was pretty obvious.

Many don't seem to rate the saints list build. There isn't one player so far that they can build around. Perhaps that's what they plan to do with Max. And the only player that I would personally take is Gresham.

There's a fair bit of work to be done there.
It wasn’t obvious because you didn’t actually say anything, just a generic quote that we might push for finals then fall back to the bottom. What are your reasons for this? Because you only rate Gresham? Do you not rate your side who was beaten by over 10 goals by a side with only 1 good player?

It wasn’t obvious because you didn’t actually say anything, just a generic quote that we might push for finals then fall back to the bottom. What are your reasons for this? Because you only rate Gresham? Do you not rate your side who was beaten by over 10 goals by a side with only 1 good player?
It's not contoversial to say that we have a more promising list. Stop getting so aggro about it.

You have a list of players that so far have done nothing, you can claim how good they are going to be until the cows come home, but so far all they have done is take your club backwards.

Some people can use their brains to project forward. Actually the majority can. Look at the poll results.

Either way, its not controversial. Move on.

Some people can use their brains to project forward. Actually the majority can. Look at the poll results.

Either way, its not controversial. Move on.
Oh i see, there is a trend here, as soon as someone calls you out it's "move on"

I'll say it again, your list has done nothing to date, you can claim potential, but so can every club in the league, so until they actually produce, it is controversial.

I doubt that’s gonna happen, but we have seen teams go from 13th to GF the last two seasons.
Thats off the back of two very competitive years of finals.
Collingwood won 6 more games of football than they did the year prior. It'd be exponentially harder for Carlton to increase their wins by the same amount, let alone make finals.

None are close, but on list potential (and likelihood of retaining said list potential), Carlton. Both Blues and Saints could probably find a better coach elsewhere, too early to call on Dew.

Oh i see, there is a trend here, as soon as someone calls you out it's "move on"

I'll say it again, your list has done nothing to date, you can claim potential, but so can every club in the league, so until they actually produce, it is controversial.
You clearly dont understand what controversial means. YOU are the one in disagreement with the majority opinion.

Hopefully you understand now. Move on.

You clearly dont understand what controversial means. YOU are the one in disagreement with the majority opinion.

And who is saying that the majority opinion is neutral?

For all we know this is a majority of Carlton supporters voting, so go look up controversial, before telling someone they don't know what it means.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have a list of players that so far have done nothing, you can claim how good they are going to be until the cows come home, but so far all they have done is take your club backwards.
Docherty 25, Cripps 23 are our senior leaders and 1 of them wasn't even out there last year, we essentially played an under 23's side with a fit bit part players filling in the gaps for injuries.

Our key forwards in Curnow 21, Mckay 20, McGovern 24 have 8+ years of quality football together
Same goes for the key backs of Weitering 21, Marchbank 21, Macreadie 20

Our midfield has 2 older players in Murphy 31 and Ed Curnow 29 followed by a heap of youngsters ready to improve (Cripps 23, Kennedy 21, Cunningham 21, Setterfield 20, SPS 20, Fisher 20, Dow 19, Walsh 18, Stocker 18)

Our small/medium defenders besides poor old Kade Simpson are Docherty 25, plowman 24, Williamson 19, O'Brien 19, Newman 25

We have an area of weakness in the small/medium forward department which is easy enough to fix and potentially in the ruck department with only TDK behind kruezer but other then that I think we will be fine thanks.

There is so much potential for improvement across the board so enjoy us "going backwards" while you can.

Docherty 25, Cripps 23 are our senior leaders and 1 of them wasn't even out there last year, we essentially played an under 23's side with a fit bit part players filling in the gaps for injuries.

Our key forwards in Curnow 21, Mckay 20, McGovern 24 have 8+ years of quality football together
Same goes for the key backs of Weitering 21, Marchbank 21, Macreadie 20

Our midfield has 2 older players in Murphy 31 and Ed Curnow 29 followed by a heap of youngsters ready to improve (Cripps 23, Kennedy 21, Cunningham 21, Setterfield 20, SPS 20, Fisher 20, Dow 19, Walsh 18, Stocker 18)

Our small/medium defenders besides poor old Kade Simpson are Docherty 25, plowman 24, Williamson 19, O'Brien 19, Newman 25

We have an area of weakness in the small/medium forward department which is easy enough to fix and potentially in the ruck department with only TDK behind kruezer but other then that I think we will be fine thanks.

There is so much potential for improvement across the board so enjoy us "going backwards" while you can.
It's all good saying we have this and we have that, but it is a FACT, that this list have so far gone backwards.

All clubs can say, oh look at who we have, the potential is there, but until they show what they have, it means only that, potential.

Thats off the back of two very competitive years of finals.
Collingwood won 6 more games of football than they did the year prior. It'd be exponentially harder for Carlton to increase their wins by the same amount, let alone make finals.

This is just hindsight bias. Fact is, weird s**t can happen in football. I mean the WB’s won a flag and then disappeared into the night. Teams can come out of nowhere and others fall unexpectedly. Happens all the time without anyone having any foresight as what comes to eventually pass.

And who is saying that the majority opinion is neutral?

For all we know this is a majority of Carlton supporters voting, so go look up controversial, before telling someone they don't know what it means.

So youre clinging to conspiracy theories to support your minority opinion now? Desperate.

Youve missed the point. Move on.
I haven't missed the point at all, all i have seen here is you telling everyone how good your list is, you know like "we have 20 players better than theirs", but this list you talk about has taken the Carlton Football Club to it's lowest depth in it's history, so until it shows any promise i will believe the poll is skewed by Carlton supporters.
And all you can say when challenged is "Move on"

I haven't missed the point at all, all i have seen here is you telling everyone how good your list is, you know like "we have 20 players better than theirs", but this list you talk about has taken the Carlton Football Club to it's lowest depth in it's history, so until it shows any promise i will believe the poll is skewed by Carlton supporters.
And all you can say when challenged is "Move on"
You dont accept the fact you are in the minority, because the poll has been corrupted by the hoardes of biased Carlton supporters. That is moon-landing type conspiracy right there bud.

That is the point you missed.

Its clear you are a hater. That's why it's healthier for you to just #moveon.

You dont accept the fact you are in the minority, because the poll has been corrupted by the hoardes of biased Carlton supporters. That is moon-landing type conspiracy right there bud.

That is the point you missed.

Its clear you are a hater. That's why it's healthier for you to just #moveon.
Oh, now i am a hater because i stated a fact?

You take the cake mate.

Seriously, this place is really not for you.

Our midfield has 2 older players in Murphy 31 and Ed Curnow 29 followed by a heap of youngsters ready to improve (Cripps 23, Kennedy 21, Cunningham 21, Setterfield 20, SPS 20, Fisher 20, Dow 19, Walsh 18, Stocker 18).
And right there is the problem.

Games of footy are still won in the midfield. Murphy isn't the player he was and Curnow is a ball butcher.

Then you've got Cripps, the poor bastard, and a bunch of unproven kids.

It's years from being able to regularly beat a Collingwood side with Beams, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Adams, Treloar, Sier, Crisp, Phillips, Varcoe.

Collingwood's mids are proven and banked. And it's not like they won't continue to add to it.

It has never been harder to drag yourself out of the bottom four. It can take years. Even if you make great choices it can still take a very long time.

This will be a very slow process for Carlton.

Back