Analysis Best & worst top 10 draft picks per draft number

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't win 2 Norm Smiths by chance.
Performing on the biggest stage elevates Hodge in my books big time.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

No you dont win them by chance, but you also cant win them if you're not in the grand final....obviously.

No matter how good you are you cant get to the grand final on your own.

Jesus Norm Smith is best on ground in ONE game. Yes its the most important game but it is still one game.

Byron Pickett, Shaun Hart, Andrew Embley etc these guys have won a norm smith.
Are they better than say Peter Burgoyne, Nigel Lappin and Daniel Kerr...hell no.

Hodge was only a winner because he was in a winning team... how hard is that to understand.
If he was at Carlton he would've been a perennial loser.

You don't think that Nick did the onfield coaching and leadership thing?

Not to mention playing the hardest position on the ground, and actually changing the game for EVERY key forward to come afterwards.
In fact you could say today's footy is modeled around Riewoldt's game to an extent.

Dont get me wrong Hodge was a very very good player and even better leader, but Nick was the better player by a margin IMO.
Sam Mitchell was a better player than Hodge.
I agree the Norm Smith medal is just one game, but a player winning multiple times, as Hodge has done, demonstrates a history of rising to the occasion when it matters most. Choosing between Hodge and Riewoldt was extremely difficult but for me it came down to reliability … Hodge's ability to perform in the big moment as opposed to Nick's horrible goal kicking which I'm sure led to him missing vital goals at times when his team needed them most. His poor kicking for goal was a major flaw for a player who played most of his career as a key forward and IMO it puts Hodge just ahead of him.

Worst Top 10 :

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls
Cale Morton
Laurence Angwin
Jonathan O'Rourke
Kayne Pettifer
Andrew Moore
Tim Walsh
Brendan Fewster
Riley Dunn
Luke Molan
Toumpas was significantly worse than Morton. Morton was serviceable in the early stage of his career and you could argue that we stuffed his development during that period. Toumpas simply looked like a fish out of water from day dot.

Hodge was never in the discussion for best player in the league. Riewoldt was. Riewoldt comfortably.
except for when he was named AA captain after a brilliant season where many rated him one of the best in the comp.

except for when he was named AA captain after a brilliant season where many rated him one of the best in the comp.
He was deservedly in the discussion for best player at his club, but i would never have even given him that nod. Franklin, and Mitchell were comfortably ahead in my eyes and Burgoyne and Roughhead at stages were on par. A hawthorn great, but not an AFL great.

He was deservedly in the discussion for best player at his club, but i would never have even given him that nod. Franklin, and Mitchell were comfortably ahead in my eyes and Burgoyne and Roughhead at stages were on par. A hawthorn great, but not an AFL great.
Won't you look silly when he gets inducted in to the AFL hall of fame in a few years then.

I agree that he will be, but it'll be a decision based on aura and leadership rather than pure football.
so leadership, sacrificing your game to play a role for team success, these things shouldn't be considered when assessing how a good a player is? We've already been told that being the best player in a grand final on multiple occasions (and had over 30 touches and 2 goals in another) isn't allowed to count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so leadership, sacrificing your game to play a role for team success, these things shouldn't be considered when assessing how a good a player is? We've already been told that being the best player in a grand final on multiple occasions (and had over 30 touches and 2 goals in another) isn't allowed to count.
It all counts, but would he be viewed as a great leader if he wasn't leading a great team - probably not. Guys like Riewoldt, Ablett, Franklin, Dangerfield will be automatic hall of fame selections due to consistent on field dominance over a long period of time. It wouldn't have mattered what teammates they had. Hodge will be a Hall of Fame member because he was a bloody good player over a long time, stood up big time in big games, played in a team who were good enough to get to and win big games and he also had an aura of leadership about him. I rate the others significantly higher as footballers, because I don't think they needed to be in a great team to be considered great. For me, hodge is a different kettle of fish, because him being considered great was relient on him playing in a great team.

I like how this has turned into a nick riewoldt vs luke hodge debate because they were both champion pick 1's. If they were both full/ centre half forwards it would be easier. Riewoldt averaged 2 goals a game playing predominantly forward. On his stats and playing position alone he should be being compared to richo, carey, pavlich, hall, brown and sav rocca. Stats alone cant split these players so things like premierships, leadership, ability stand up and play well when it counts and versatility etc all have to come into play. Carey obviously the better leader, big game player and has 2 flags as captain. Pavlich edges him for his ability to dominate from midfield and his aa as a chb. Brown edges him due to 3 flags and was feared by the opposition. Halls got a flag and has an argument vs roo. Richo and rocca great stats but didnt get the finals exposure to be in the convo. Riewoldt was a great player and its truly admirable how he continued to perform and get up for games through degenerative knee problems. He had his chances in 3 GFs but just couldnt have his day unfortunately, 3 goals from 3 gfs. From an outsiders perspective he didnt have the carey/brown aura about him in terms of leadership or the opposition fearing him. Having said all that, he is absolutely a champion forward. I also hate hawthorn. But Luke hodge is also a champion. He is a better big game player than riewoldt. He is a better leader than riewoldt. He is more versatile than riewoldt. Both had great players around them. Hodge had a better coach. Riewoldt kicked more goals. If i had to pick a best 22 from the last 30 years hodge is getting a spot on the half back flank. Riewoldt misses out.

5 AA v 3 AA
6 B&F v 2
153 Brownlow votes v 131

But things like a player 'sacrificing' their game gets brought up... 10 times in fact and not a mention of actual tangible stats that reflect a career of an individual.

Those 153 Brownlow votes as a forward too and we all no how hard they are to get in the midfielders award.

Not even a discussion.

Who cares? If Hodge got drafted to Carlton, he wouldn't have won four flags. Players shouldn't be judged more harshly because they weren't fortunate enough to play in premiership sides. It's a bullshit argument. He'd still be equally as talented if he did it all in a side that didn't win premierships.

OK calm down, it isn't bullshit at all.

There is a reason why sportsmen and women the world over are more revered if they have been a part of a great team. It is because they contributed massively to said great team. Michael Jordan is all time, but would he be without all those titles? Gretsky in the 80s?

Im not interested in a Hodge/Reiwoldt shitfight because there is not point, they are both all time. But to dismiss Hodge's team achievements as bullshit is pretty lazy. Not forgetting that Hodge won two Normies too, probably the most coveted individual award for an AFL player

Best
1: Hodge (narrowly from Riewoldt)
2: Lappin
3: Judd
4: Kennedy
5: Franklin (narrowly from Pendlebury)
6: Macrae
7: Selwood
8: Bartel
9: Chad Cornes
10: Dangerfield

It may be my Melbourne bias talking but I believe Oliver and Salem will take over the 4 and 9 spots before long.

Oliver quite possibly. Salem might indeed be the bias talking!

Cant really argue with any of this. I would probably have Pav ahead of JK by a whisker, but JK aint done yet..

I think Kelly will be a standout #2 by the time his career is up.

Oliver quite possibly. Salem might indeed be the bias talking!

Cant really argue with any of this. I would probably have Pav ahead of JK by a whisker, but JK aint done yet..

I think Kelly will be a standout #2 by the time his career is up.

Oliver isn’t ahead of Bont yet as a #4 pick, let alone Pav.... (although a big fan of Oliver)

Output of dowler > output of thorp

This is true, if that’s the way you want to look at it. I don’t though. Given neither played even a season’s worth of games, it’s quibbling to separate them on this negligible difference. I think Thorp was more talented and hence, the better pick. Not saying I’m right and others are wrong, but that’s my reasoning.

Boy o boy. Pick 4's had some doozies. Tambling, Farron Ray and Toumpas are just about the trifecta.
Farren Ray, while he didn't ever become a champion, still played 209 AFL games and was a very serviceable player. Certainly not a doozie.

This is true, if that’s the way you want to look at it. I don’t though. Given neither played even a season’s worth of games, it’s quibbling to separate them on this negligible difference. I think Thorp was more talented and hence, the better pick. Not saying I’m right and others are wrong, but that’s my reasoning.
I think the only objective way to rank them is on output. Yes injury plays a factor.
And you are correct both those players had near zero output (josh bootsma gave much better output than either) but I think dowler did better at box hill level than thorp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back