Analysis The Clarkson Rebuild Model - A Reason For Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we need our own Holy trinity or a bookend? Ben Brown anyone?

The best of the FA next year

Levi Casboult (Carlton)
Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton)
Stephen Hill (Fremantle)
David Swallow (Gold Coast Suns)
Stephen Coniglio (GWS Giants)
Nick Haynes (GWS Giants)
Adam Tomlinson (GWS Giants)
Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)
Liam Shiels (Hawthorn)
Ben Stratton (Hawthorn)
Nathan Jones (Melbourne)
Majak Daw (North Melbourne)
Todd Goldstein (North Melbourne)
David Astbury (Richmond)
Shane Edwards (Richmond)
Jarryn Geary (St Kilda)
Jack Newnes (St Kilda)
Shannon Hurn (West Coast Eagles)
Josh Kennedy (West Coast Eagles)
Nic Naitanui (West Coast Eagles)
Brad Sheppard (West Coast Eagles)

The best of the FA next year

Levi Casboult (Carlton)
Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton)
Stephen Hill (Fremantle)
David Swallow (Gold Coast Suns)
Stephen Coniglio (GWS Giants)
Nick Haynes (GWS Giants)
Adam Tomlinson (GWS Giants)
Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)
Liam Shiels (Hawthorn)
Ben Stratton (Hawthorn)
Nathan Jones (Melbourne)
Majak Daw (North Melbourne)
Todd Goldstein (North Melbourne)
David Astbury (Richmond)
Shane Edwards (Richmond)
Jarryn Geary (St Kilda)
Jack Newnes (St Kilda)
Shannon Hurn (West Coast Eagles)
Josh Kennedy (West Coast Eagles)
Nic Naitanui (West Coast Eagles)
Brad Sheppard (West Coast Eagles)
1. Get Stratton and Shiels signed up (Birchall probably retires)
2. BIG offer to get Coniglio as RFA
3. JJK (very unlikely) or Casboult (subject to body and form) as UFA

What was wrong with you can’t put your hands on a player’s back, just use your forearm or your side? Isn’t that the way it used to be?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Doesnt make sense to change that ,it just makes it harder to adjudicate
Im happy for a player to be able to hold his ground without hands in the back

Lordo just said on 3AW he reckons S Mitchell will be taking over in 2-3 years.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Wouldn’t surprise me either. With Clarko then either going to the AFL itself, or be a mentor for 1 or 2 years before moving on.

Watching the player pics on Instagram while overseas. JOM with Coniglio at Old Trafford. Both from WA must be good mates from junior days ...... get in his ear Jaeger. Maybe that’s why Hawks could not let go of next years first and keep Burton as there are longer term plans on the horizon by GW/Clarko.

If theres
Concentrate on one target and one target only. Everything else comes secondary. S.C.
other talent considering moving then you've got to at least have a look at it. I think its foolish to shut off all other players that could potentially come for one player who may end up elsewhere or stay at GWS.

Watching the player pics on Instagram while overseas. JOM with Coniglio at Old Trafford. Both from WA must be good mates from junior days ...... get in his ear Jaeger. Maybe that’s why Hawks could not let go of next years first and keep Burton as there are longer term plans on the horizon by GW/Clarko.

He’ll be RFA.

So 2019 first rounder would be a starting point for a trade if GWS think of matching.....plus 2020 first rounder
Exactly. Good to have it in reserve should we need it.

If theres other talent considering moving then you've got to at least have a look at it. I think its foolish to shut off all other players that could potentially come for one player who may end up elsewhere or stay at GWS.
No doubt we’ll look at it.

The best thing about concentrating on a Cogs though, is that we don’t have to contend with being the club with the best picks to get a deal done. He’ll be a RFA, and we’ll have a shitload of salary cap to play with due to Rough, Burger and maybe even a Birchall coming to an end - while GWS will be limited with what they can do while trying to retain Kelly.

The best thing about concentrating on a Cogs though, is that we don’t have to contend with being the club with the best picks to get a deal done. He’ll be a RFA, and we’ll have a shitload of salary cap to play with due to Rough, Burger and maybe even a Birchall coming to an end - while GWS will be limited with what they can do while trying to retain Kelly.
No doubt he’ll be a point of concentration if he’s considering leaving but we wouldn’t shut off all other options. Imagine if we’d only gone for Shiel this year. We definitely wouldn’t have Wingard right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Kelly signs some 7 year 12m deal

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Another year into the Clarko rebuild model and it's pretty clear he's going midfield first, KP second.

Is this what he did the first time? (We already had Mitchell, Hodge and Crawford on the list).
We had quite a lot of our 2008 flag team on the list in 2004.

Makes me wonder what he can do with a few of our younger guys.

Hope Kelly signs some 7 year 12m deal

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
He may well do, but with North Melbourne. We'd better hope that doesn't happen, otherwise GWS will do everything to hold onto Coniglio. There's no way they can lose Shiel, Scully, Kelly and Cogs in two years.

Personally I think he would be a great get, but the situation is a bit out of our control. Take it if it comes.

Another year into the Clarko rebuild model and it's pretty clear he's going midfield first, KP second.

Is this what he did the first time? (We already had Mitchell, Hodge and Crawford on the list).
Well we did go hard after lynch. It’s just easier to get mids because there are so many of them on afl lists and in the draft.

We have Mitchell Lewis who can potentially anchor and attack with a fleet of good to elite small and medium forwards around him. Cats won three flags without a single star kp forward (Hawkins did star in the 2011 series). I’m sure we will target another kpf but we aren’t going to throw draft picks at lessor talent just because of the position played at under 18 level. We just need to be patient and swoop on the right opportunity.

I reckon we should go after Brad Hill's older brother. Give him a chance to play for a real premiership contender

I reckon we should go after Brad Hill's older brother. Give him a chance to play for a real premiership contender
Injury prone. Older. Already got enough runners in that age bracket.

Massively hungover today and so had some greasy toasted sangas and watched the 2014 grand final.

That group of players: Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gibson, Burgoyne, Lake. Just brilliant. Strong, hard guys who were brilliantly skilled and could always be relied on to make good decisions and bring others into the game. Amazing to watch the off-the-ball stuff that each of these guys did. Would have hated playing against them.

It's a different type of player to Gunston, Birchall, McEvoy Smith, Stratton, Shiels, Rioli, Breust - who are all great players, proven champs, AAs etc. But none of these guys is the combo of leadership, hardness and brilliance that the 6 guys above all had. They might have two of those things, but not all 3. They're players that every club would want and trade hard for if they could, but they're not the same ilk as the 6 I mentioned.

One of the best teams of all time, so hard to rebuild and to expect that kind of thing to happen again. But I think Mitchell, O'Meara, Hardwick are a damn good start. I think Worpel will fit into this group neatly (see the Selwood contest last year and his goal against Hurley in the bombers game - skill and hardness that you can't teach) and call me a dreamer but I think Mat Walker is going to be one of these guys as well. There's something real about this kid.

With that core you can wrap around the brilliant and high quality players that deliver on a role perfectly - Sicily, Wingard, Scully, and the guys I mentioned in that second group. But without the core of those ruthless bastards I think youre a toothless tiger that won't get it done when it matters.

Our captain should come from that ruthless group. And we should fill our side with as many of these guys as possible. They're hard to find though. Most clubs have 3 or 4 at the most.

Massively hungover today and so had some greasy toasted sangas and watched the 2014 grand final.

That group of players: Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gibson, Burgoyne, Lake. Just brilliant. Strong, hard guys who were brilliantly skilled and could always be relied on to make good decisions and bring others into the game. Amazing to watch the off-the-ball stuff that each of these guys did. Would have hated playing against them.

It's a different type of player to Gunston, Birchall, McEvoy Smith, Stratton, Shiels, Rioli, Breust - who are all great players, proven champs, AAs etc. But none of these guys is the combo of leadership, hardness and brilliance that the 6 guys above all had. They might have two of those things, but not all 3. They're players that every club would want and trade hard for if they could, but they're not the same ilk as the 6 I mentioned.

One of the best teams of all time, so hard to rebuild and to expect that kind of thing to happen again. But I think Mitchell, O'Meara, Hardwick are a damn good start. I think Worpel will fit into this group neatly (see the Selwood contest last year and his goal against Hurley in the bombers game - skill and hardness that you can't teach) and call me a dreamer but I think Mat Walker is going to be one of these guys as well. There's something real about this kid.

With that core you can wrap around the brilliant and high quality players that deliver on a role perfectly - Sicily, Wingard, Scully, and the guys I mentioned in that second group. But without the core of those ruthless bastards I think youre a toothless tiger that won't get it done when it matters.

Our captain should come from that ruthless group. And we should fill our side with as many of these guys as possible. They're hard to find though. Most clubs have 3 or 4 at the most.

Look at how meek our straight sets exit was. Our champs would’ve cringed watching it.

Look at how meek our straight sets exit was. Our champs would’ve cringed watching it.
Yep - agreed.
And I'm not concerned because you can't replace those guys overnight and I think we've done a pretty bloody good job of it all, but need another couple of these guys to emerge from somewhere.

Now this post really annoys me. You don't think our lack of depth had anything to do with it. How could we possibly cover the loss of O'Meara. And we played Conor Nash, FFS. There was no way he was ready for finals footy. This year will be a little different. A little more experience.

Great post, the only thing I would change is that I can see Sicily developing into one of those brilliant mongrels in the next couple of years. He’s highly skilled, ultra competitive, plays on the edge and I think he has some leadership qualities that are beginning to be uncovered. If he can continue to improve his temper, and Clarko starts to give him some responsibility down back then he may very well evolve into our next ‘general’.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back