Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

some people on here are kidding themselves if they think we are going to throw a 1st year kid into the middle next year without him first proving himself in the neafl and then there being a significant amount of injuries.

some people on here are kidding themselves if they think we are going to throw a 1st year kid into the middle next year without him first proving himself in the neafl and then there being a significant amount of injuries.

Disagree. Plenty of midfielders get considerable game time in their first year in the AFL.

Disagree. Plenty of midfielders get considerable game time in their first year in the AFL.

Top 5 picks at clubs like carlton maybe.

Whose he going to displace in our midfield?

Where is the historical evidence that Sydney operate like that?

Not even Heeney and Mills played midfield first year. Mitchell was getting 60 possessions in the neafl.

We never throw them straight into the middle

Parker , Hanners , Heeney etc etc all started as either HF of HB before they went in the middle

Even a Brownlow winner was played as a HF before he went into the guts

Won’t get a game in the middle imo

There is a difference here though and that is Rowbottom is a pure inside mid. He himself admits he needs to work on other aspects of his game. As a result though he will need to be played as a pure inside mid since unlike Heeney he can't really be thrown into a position he is not used to.

There is a difference here though and that is Rowbottom is a pure inside mid. He himself admits he needs to work on other aspects of his game. As a result though he will need to be played as a pure inside mid since unlike Heeney he can't really be thrown into a position he is not used to.
What was Mitchell

A little perspective:

Knighmare (espn draft writer)

"Rowbottom an ok mid - numbers decent but low impact per possession and can go for 25d and go unnoticed. With Sydney trading into that pick with the intent to take Rowbottom, it left me feeling underwhelmed".

Matt Balmer (fox sports draft writer)

"The midfielder had a consistent season at all levels. While his foot skills is an area he can improve, his ball-winning nous and clearance work is his strength. He can win the contested ball and gets the ball inside 50 on multiple occasions during games".

Hewett was the same and they made him play 2 or 3 years in the NEAFL beforegiving him a game and even then they played him as a forward.

The difference between Rowbottom and the other Swans mids mentioned above is that he is coming into the club at a time when our midfield is transitioning on the back of two seasons of at times diabolical midfield thrashings. We’re no longer a supreme midfield with four or five superstars we can rely on every week. Not saying Rowbottom will play 20 games, he may very well only play 1. But it automatically gives him a fighting chance at cracking into our midfield as spots are definitely up for grabs. Let’s face it we’ve been needing change. This kid fits the bill as one of those who can bring that change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference between Rowbottom and the other Swans mids mentioned above is that he is coming into the club at a time when our midfield is transitioning on the back of two seasons of at times diabolical midfield thrashings. We’re no longer a supreme midfield with four or five superstars we can rely on every week. Not saying Rowbottom will play 20 games, he may very well only play 1. But it automatically gives him a fighting chance at cracking into our midfield as spots are definitely up for grabs. Let’s face it we’ve been needing change. This kid fits the bill as one of those who can bring that change.

THat is an excellent point and one I did not think about before now. This is not the midfield we had when Mitchell could not get a game, this midfield is vastly different and no where near as solid. In fact statistically the Swans midfield was around 17th in the AFL for clearances in 2018 which is beyond poor so with that kind of record no one here can say that there are many locks in the midfield in terms of who should play every week. In fact I think one of the main goals for Longmire in 2019 should be to even up the contest in the clearances, giving the Swans first use of the ball, and I don't care which players are used in order to achive that. If Clarke is a better choice in the centre than Kennedy or Parker, then so be it. A big name should not be a guarantee of an in and under midfield position.

In fact statistically the Swans midfield was around 17th in the AFL for clearances in 2018 which is beyond poor so with that kind of record no one here can say that there are many locks in the midfield in terms of who should play every week. In fact I think one of the main goals for Longmire in 2019 should be to even up the contest in the clearances, giving the Swans first use of the ball, and I don't care which players are used in order to achive that. If Clarke is a better choice in the centre than Kennedy or Parker, then so be it. A big name should not be a guarantee of an in and under midfield position.

You do realise that the average per game between us and Essendon who holds third spot is one extra centre clearance per game over a full season. Yes getting first use of the ball is important (and there was a slump in that area in 2018) but to focus on it solely is pointless. The midfield needs to strike the right mix between winning the ball, defending and providing our forwards proper service which they haven't been able to do for a while.

So no point rushing a player like Rowbottom in to pad a stat when others need to improve first as well as changes to the gameplan

You do realise that the average per game between us and Essendon who holds third spot is one extra centre clearance per game over a full season. Yes getting first use of the ball is important (and there was a slump in that area in 2018) but to focus on it solely is pointless. The midfield needs to strike the right mix between winning the ball, defending and providing our forwards proper service which they haven't been able to do for a while.

So no point rushing a player like Rowbottom in to pad a stat when others need to improve first as well as changes to the gameplan

Of course I realise that, but our current midfielders are not really providing any proper service to our forwards so we may as well give the younger players a go. If the older ones can't win clearances and are to afraid to take the game on then we may as well see what the younger ones can do. I mean what do we have to lose as there is no way we are winning the 2019 premiership with the same style of midfield we had in 2017 and 2018.

Of course I realise that, but our current midfielders are not really providing any proper service to our forwards so we may as well give the younger players a go. If the older ones can't win clearances and are to afraid to take the game on then we may as well see what the younger ones can do. I mean what do we have to lose as there is no way we are winning the 2019 premiership with the same style of midfield we had in 2017 and 2018.

The whole midfield will be revamped in 19. Trade selections designed to release Mills and Jones to midfield. Hanners no longer there. Hewett freed up from tagger role with gut running Clarke inclusion. I think our midfield will be an entirely different proposition in 2019 and contrary to what many here think I happen to believe that Jones' attack on the run will be a powerful tool and a success. When a midfielder can beat two opposition with his run and physicality then that can split a team wide open.

The whole midfield will be revamped in 19. Trade selections designed to release Mills and Jones to midfield. Hanners no longer there. Hewett freed up from tagger role with gut running Clarke inclusion. I think our midfield will be an entirely different proposition in 2019 and contrary to what many here think I happen to believe that Jones' attack on the run will be a powerful tool and a success. When a midfielder can beat two opposition with his run and physicality then that can split a team wide open.

I think a very important factor is who replaces Mills in defence. We need someone to take Mills position so Mills can be a full time midfielder.

We’ve picked 3 mids that could all conceivably be genuine busts. Concerning. Hope we haven’t got too funky for our own good. I don’t buy into the chat that “we’re taking best available”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back