Analysis The Unlucky Ones

Remove this Banner Ad

With the game opening up and a lot of clubs placing emphasis on speed and versatility, I am not overly surprised Grigg got overlooked. Treacle slow and one dimensional.

With the game opening up and a lot of clubs placing emphasis on speed and versatility, I am not overly surprised Grigg got overlooked. Treacle slow and one dimensional.

He’d be quicker than or equal to a number of inside mids like Cunnington, Miles, Cripps, Ellis-Yolmen, Ebert ect.

Add to the fact that he has a point of difference with his elite kicking.

This is a discussion thread about those who were unlucky not to get drafted this year.

Every year there is a number of heart break stories as to those who didn’t
make the cut. Being a relatively deep draft pool it seems there is more of these stories than normal. There is however the chance that some of these players might find a rookie list spot in the supplemtary period.

Under 18’s
- Sydney Stack
- Angus Hanarhan
- Stefan Radononvic
- Mitch Podhajski
- Hugo Munn
- Dillon O’Reilly
- Hayden Sampson
- Joe Ayton-Delaney

Mature Agers
- Mitch Grigg
- Jye Bolton
- Michael Gibbons
- Marlion Pickett
- Mitch Maguire

Delisted Players
- Luke Partington
- Nathan Freeman
- Kieran Lovell
- Dec Mountford
- Mitch Hibberd
- Kieran Collins
- Billy Hartung
- Jesse Lonergan
- Tom Campbell
Podhajski is 19, his draft year was 2017

As if Gold Coast wouldnt draft Grigg and Bolton, they have the worst midfield on paper i have ever seen, they would probably end up being suns two best mids...

As if Gold Coast wouldnt draft Grigg and Bolton, they have the worst midfield on paper i have ever seen, they would probably end up being suns two best mids...
David Swallow, Touk Miller, Will Brodie, Corey Ellis and Anthony Miles would all dominate the state leagues. C grade or B/B- mids aren't there problem. From the lowly sides Carlton made more sense to me but they are obviously going to back SPS/Fisher/Dow/Walsh/Stocker to win some of the footy and use Bugg if needed to fill a wing or half forward role to do the running that the kids can't.

But even more than that I think there's a couple of good sides who could've gambled on some experienced but possibly limited midfielders. Sydney and Hawthorn are two examples.

David Swallow, Touk Miller, Will Brodie, Corey Ellis and Anthony Miles would all dominate the state leagues. C grade or B/B- mids aren't there problem. From the lowly sides Carlton made more sense to me but they are obviously going to back SPS/Fisher/Dow/Walsh/Stocker to win some of the footy and use Bugg if needed to fill a wing or half forward role to do the running that the kids can't.

But even more than that I think there's a couple of good sides who could've gambled on some experienced but possibly limited midfielders. Sydney and Hawthorn are two examples.

:thumbsu:

Much as I'd love to see the likes of Bolton, Grigg and Gibbons get a crack, it's fantastic to see someone call out these kind of lazy groupthink comments with logic.

I have zero doubt that the above mentioned could contribute to an AFL list, but the Suns have (and have had over the past number of years) many good honest state league stars vie for inside midfield spots.

Much as I'd love to see the likes of Bolton, Grigg and Gibbons get a crack, it's fantastic to see someone call out these kind of lazy groupthink comments with logic.

I have zero doubt that the above mentioned could contribute to an AFL list, but the Suns have (and have had over the past number of years) many good honest state league stars vie for inside midfield spots.
No easy to get superstar player that want to come and play. Paid over for Weller and Ballard your complain the worst deal in the century . Pick skillful mid in the draft , they requested a trade ( Caddy, Prestia , O,Meara) , pick a less skillful mid but no go home factor your also complained .(Swallow ,Miller)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if they wouldn’t be best 22, a list needs depth in all position, surely

Even if they aren’t best 22, a list needs depth in all positions, surely Bolton and Grigg are worthy as midfield depth at Suns or Carlton, surely they could be a 6-7th best midfielder on these lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back