No Oppo Supporters 2018 General AFL Discussion

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I was going to post this in the draft thread but it is locked now.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...l-s-next-generation-academies-20181121-p50hhx

An article questioning the eligibility around Next Gen Academies.

The article correctly points out these were a reaction to the Northern academies but it seems to me that the same restrictions were not put in place such as keeping a record of contribution made to the player, certain amount of time a player must be in an academy to be eligible, actually running an academy taking in 500+ kids rather than cherry picking talent etc

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
C7596F96-D465-4B33-980E-7D933656493E.jpeg
Where’s Wally? Where’s Waldo? Ahh...where’s Garry?

Swans man

Debutant
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Whats the chance of sydney going after riley collier dawkins in 2 years. Massive swans fan.... well was

Richmond are looking at getting Sydney Stack after he’s trained with them. Despite his apparent disciplinary shortcomings. You just know he’ll grow out of them :rolleyes:

Every club overlooked him multiple times. Every man and his dog said the same about Danyle Garlett. Now I'm not saying Sydney Stack is Garlett...but there is usually a very good reason why a player is overlooked multiple times when their on field ability is of a high standard.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Stack has spoken about wanting to get out of his situation and city openly

whether it's true or convenient I don't know but hopefully it's true

Whats the chance of sydney going after riley collier dawkins in 2 years. Massive swans fan.... well was

I'd say next to no chance. He's a Vic boy, and I doubt any player would make a career move like that based on childhood support. By his first few weeks at Richmond he will be totally committed to their system and their playing group.

He should seriously look at a job in Coles interstate.
AFL footy is obvioysly not goingbto be for him such is the discipline he will require.

Yeah because there's never been an ill-disciplined AFL player before. Both this year's grand finalists had at least one such ill-disciplined bloke playing for them. I personally think it's mad to write off an 18 year old whose never been surrounded by an elite team and system around him before.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Yeah because there's never been an ill-disciplined AFL player before. Both this year's grand finalists had at least one such ill-disciplined bloke playing for them. I personally think it's mad to write off an 18 year old whose never been surrounded by an elite team and system around him before.
18 elite AFL teams have written him off.
Don't just take my word for it.
Too much downside with such a person. Let the experts sort it out & then maybe let an AFL team develop the footy in you. I think the days where a club tries to sort that s**t out are fast disappearing u less the problems appear after they have been on a list.
Hope he gets there but not with our club.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
While the older you are doesn’t necessarily mean the more experienced you are, in this case I think it’s fair to say we have the perfect blend of youth and experience for the upcoming season. Having said that, I’m personally looking forward to having an expected and more youthful squad in 2020.

Nick Bowen looks at how the club lists stack up following the draft
http://afl.com.au/news/2018-11-29/oldest-youngest-most-experienced-club-lists-compared

Back