2018 Australia vs India - 3rd T20I @ SCG

His actual batsmanship is very Tendulkar like but he also seems to make more meaningful runs

Tendulkar has faced bowlers that will go down in history as some of the worlds greatest legends.

Kohli may end his career without arguably facing any "legends" of the game.

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The spinners I agree with two spinners are a minimum.

I just feel we need someone that isn’t Tye. Happy for Cummins or anyone really. Tremain possibly.
Depends if Tye was playing as well
Don’t care who it is- just not Tye. The amount of times that blokes pies gets smashed..I’d be happy with a few. Stanlake could easily play as well.
As a second spinner he'll do fine. I'd rather play Agar than a Tye or NCN.
You don’t rate Tye?

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Also picking the wrong team doesn't help. Lets look at the side for a second.

2. Short- not convinced one single bit and he's had chance upon chance here
3- Lynn- we should at least give him an extended go, but we need more than 20 off 10. Wasn't helped by Stonis burning him last night..

Short 18 matches, average of 32, hs 76, 4 50s
Lynn 18 matches, average of 19, hs 44, 0 50s

Yet Short has to go and Lynn needs more of a go? Right...

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Tendulkar has faced bowlers that will go down in history as some of the worlds greatest legends.

Kohli may end his career without arguably facing any "legends" of the game.

Dunno about that. SA’s pace battery that Kohli has faced and succeeded against is as good as any attack Tendulkar faced. Perhaps overall the sheer length of Tendulkar’s career is going to mean that he’s faced more ‘good’ bowlers but there’s not much wrong with what Kohli’s battled.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Tendulkar made plenty of meaningful runs too and plenty of runs in general but I get your point, Tendulkar was more of a relentless run making machine whereas Kohli is more the type of batsman who will rise to the occasion with a big score when it matters.

Yeah exactly. It wasn’t meant to denigrate Tendulkar, he didn’t go missing when things were tough or anything like that but even within his own team he was arguably the third best at actually producing the goods when it was needed most - behind Dravid and Laxman

I’m far from sold on Lynn. He’s another one of these blokes that think 20-25 is enough when it’s not.

Oaktree

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tendulkar made plenty of meaningful runs too and plenty of runs in general but I get your point, Tendulkar was more of a relentless run making machine whereas Kohli is more the type of batsman who will rise to the occasion with a big score when it matters.
Great post! Tendulkar's meaningful contributions get lost in the volume of innings. In the 90's he more or less carried the side.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Great post! Tendulkar's meaningful contributions get lost in the volume of innings. In the 90's he more or less carried the side.

I think he had a lot more support than, say, Kumble did in the 90s.

Dravid scored nearly 3000 runs at 50, Ganguly scored about 2600, also at around 50, Azharuddin scored over 4000 at 45, Sidhu scored 2600 at 41, even Vinod Kambli shone briefly, averaging 54 over his 17 tests.

Undoubtedly he played numerous great knocks and often in difficult circumstances but often the ones where he didn’t have a lot of help came to naught.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Statistically he's incredible - averages near 55 in Test cricket, near 60 in ODis and near 50 in T20s. In an era short on genuine stars, Kohli is phenomenal across all formats. Shame he seems to be so unlikable off the pitch but by the end of his career he'll sit easily with anyone from any era aside from Bradman (who obviously never played any international cricket except Test and never played a Test outside of Australia or England)
Kohli is the most complete batsmen since Tendulkar and Lara. I'd argue he is greater than punter was at his peak. An absolute freak. If he has a long career he will smash records left right and centre imo. I can see him dominating us this summer and dragging the rest of the team with him

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

You also need to consider Lynn can't throw and can't dive so he is an absolute liability in the field. How he still has a stuffed shoulder 2 years later is beyond me.

I think we need to stick with both of them TBH because its not like we have alot of guys sitting around who are better.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah exactly. It wasn’t meant to denigrate Tendulkar, he didn’t go missing when things were tough or anything like that but even within his own team he was arguably the third best at actually producing the goods when it was needed most - behind Dravid and Laxman

Laxman only produced against us really. Dravid was the anchor they built alot of their early 00's around.

Tendulkar unfortunately stayed on too long makes his record look alot worse than it is. trim the last 25-30 tests out and he looks alot better

which is really something seeing he doesn’t watch us bowl

I’ve seen enough of us bowling...and look at his figures especially this series. It’s time to move on and give some others a chance.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Laxman only produced against us really. Dravid was the anchor they built alot of their early 00's around.

Tendulkar unfortunately stayed on too long makes his record look alot worse than it is. trim the last 25-30 tests out and he looks alot better

A bit harsh on Laxman. He averaged at least 37 against everyone bar England. Saved his side a match they had no right to save in NZ where they batted out 180 overs, made a century to chase 258 in the last innings against Sri Lanka after India were 5-70, kept them in a match against the WI in 06 when he made a fighting century at 3 after WI made 550 and allowed them to draw, 104 with his side 5-97 against SL on day one of a test which they ultimately won, 104 not out batting 5 - nobody below him passed 20 - against NZ after they made 630, 154 vs the WI in 2002 with his side 4-80, still 70 short Of making WI bat again.

Not as prolific as Sachin, but when he scored runs - regardless of the opposition - it was usually when it counted.

Oaktree

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kohli is the most complete batsmen since Tendulkar and Lara. I'd argue he is greater than punter was at his peak. An absolute freak. If he has a long career he will smash records left right and centre imo. I can see him dominating us this summer and dragging the rest of the team with him
I reckon if he can score a triple ton this summer, he may even leapfrog the trio you mentioned in terms of acclaim within Australia.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol I got here in time.. Mr Kohli is my all time ripper and he ain't stopping now..
Finchy should just watch his back and get on board with treating Kohli with a bit of reasonable contempt..

that is to be tough without being rude and knocking everyone in to the nether regions...

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ve seen enough of us bowling...and look at his figures especially this series. It’s time to move on and give some others a chance.
giving everyone a chance means that you have kind of given up but then again it also can mean that you wash out the rubbish
and then lash the 'flag to the mast' and just go for it..

giving everyone a chance means that you have kind of given up but then again it also can mean that you wash out the rubbish
and then lash the 'flag to the mast' and just go for it..

I've given up with our t20 or ODI sides being consistently good as we continually pick the same guys who shock horror keep failing. If someone isn't getting runs or bowling well, try someone else, especially this year when lets face it we aren't expected to win many.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've given up with our t20 or ODI sides being consistently good as we continually pick the same guys who shock horror keep failing. If someone isn't getting runs or bowling well, try someone else, especially this year when lets face it we aren't expected to win many.
yeah but how many times to bring someone in every time. have at least four or five players and stick with them and then have another ten who you raffle each
game. .. no matter whether you win or lose. stick with those five players and then muck around

yeah but how many times to bring someone in every time. have at least four or five players and stick with them and then have another ten who you raffle each
game. .. no matter whether you win or lose. stick with those five players and then muck around

Look you don't chop and change 1 game in, 1 game out, but if you give someone 5 or so games, surely you can expect some performances. Now you don't expect someone to come in and be consistent every game but surely there has to be a line drawn somewhere. My main issue is our structure. 2 spinners just works in t20's, why we think we are better than anyone else and just play 1 and sometimes none is beyond me. Work your side around 2 spinners.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Look you don't chop and change 1 game in, 1 game out, but if you give someone 5 or so games, surely you can expect some performances. Now you don't expect someone to come in and be consistent every game but surely there has to be a line drawn somewhere. My main issue is our structure. 2 spinners just works in t20's, why we think we are better than anyone else and just play 1 and sometimes none is beyond me. Work your side around 2 spinners.
two spinners is something that Shane Warne would ask for and yet there has to be the batsmen as well.

just get a bit of agro without being stupid. ..

Back