Strategy 2019 | Let's Construct Our Best 22 | Part 1: Midfielders

Which six players should fill the midfield positions in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
A bit earlier this year than usual, but that's all good - we can see how our opinions change over the pre-season. Apologies in advance for limited poll options. Couldn't even include Melksham (who I'm classifying more as a forward), plus a heap of others including new draftees.

Part 1 is looking at the midfield six:
C: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
R: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

Please vote for the six players you'd want to fill those positions. :footy:

2016 team:
B: Neville Jetta | Lynden Dunn (vc) | Colin Garland
HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | Tomas Bugg
C: Dom Tyson | Bernie Vince | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Christian Petracca | Cam Pedersen | Dean Kent
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | Jack Watts
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones (c) | Jack Viney
I/C: Aaron vandenBerg | Sam Frost | Jack Grimes | James Harmes

E: Billy Stretch | Heritier Lumumba | Jack Trengove

2017 team:
FB: Neville Jetta | Oscar McDonald | Tom McDonald
HB: Jayden Hunt | Sam Frost | Michael Hibberd
C: Jordan Lewis | Clayton Oliver | Dom Tyson
HF: Christian Petracca | Jesse Hogan | Dean Kent
FF: Jeff Garlett | Cam Pedersen | Jack Watts
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones | Jack Viney
INT: Angus Brayshaw | Christian Salem | Billy Stretch | Bernie Vince

E: Jake Melksham | Aaron vandenBerg | Tomas Bugg

IN FROM 2016: Oscar McDonald, Jayden Hunt, Michael Hibberd, Jordan Lewis, Clayton Oliver, Billy Stretch
OUT FROM 2016: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Tomas Bugg, Aaron vandenBerg, Jack Grimes, James Harmes

2018 team:
FB: Neville Jetta | Oscar McDonald | Jake Lever
C: Angus Brayshaw | Dom Tyson | Nathan Jones
HF: Jake Melksham | Jesse Hogan | Christian Petracca
FF: Jeff Garlett | Tom McDonald | Mitch Hannan
R: Max Gawn | Clayton Oliver | Jack Viney
INT: Christian Salem | Alex Neal-Bullen | Jordan Lewis | James Harmes

E: Cam Pedersen | Bernie Vince | Corey Maynard | Joel Smith

IN FROM 2017: Jake Lever, Jake Melksham, Mitch Hannan, Alex Neal-Bullen, James Harmes
OUT FROM 2017: Jack Watts, Dean Kent, Cam Pedersen, Billy Stretch, Bernie Vince

2019 team:
FB: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
HB: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
HF: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
FF: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
INT: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

E: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

IN FROM 2018:
OUT FROM 2018: Dom Tyson, Jesse Hogan

Pretty resounding consensus so far.

I think I’ll have KK/Salem at half back or taking a bench spot - but in reality they will form part of the midfield rotations during the year, along with Lewis and Hibberd on occasions.

Bit surprised at the lack of love for Salem so far. FWIW, mine:

C: Brayshaw | Harmes | Salem
R: Gawn | Viney | Oliver

KK better suited to the wing IMO. Id have Salem at half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C: Fritsch Brayshaw KadeKolo
Foll: Gawn Oliver Viney

It's hopefully the year in which our contest domination starts to spread more to the outside with some skills and run and that means proper wingmen who run in to space and kick the ball well.

To me that's:
Kolodjashnij - at least for a lengthy trial on the wing. He's finished 3rd in the time trial so he can run. He's obviously a lovely kick and at 190cm he can be a target as well as get back to provide some defensive cover.
And
Fritsch - who probably played his best games on the wing. Has to build his tank but he's a natural ball getter in space. His overhead work is a huge advantage and he's a lovely penetrating kick.

Proper wingmen means Harmes is unlucky and comes off the bench as first in to the guts and Jones also probably heads to the bench as a versatile option who can play forward, wing or on ball.

Salem up to the wing for mine, he was good in defence but he isn't an intercept marker and I think KK is a better defender. I'd rather Salem get the ball closer to our goals as with May Hibberd Lever and KK/Lewis we have plenty of blokes who can move the footy from defence but little who can help Melksham going inside 50

Harmes Brayshaw Jones
Gawn Oliver Viney

I’d possibly swap Jones for KK. I’d be leaving Salem at half back for now. I think we still need his kicking ability coming out of the back half.

C: Fritsch Brayshaw KadeKolo
Foll: Gawn Oliver Viney

It's hopefully the year in which our contest domination starts to spread more to the outside with some skills and run and that means proper wingmen who run in to space and kick the ball well.

To me that's:
Kolodjashnij - at least for a lengthy trial on the wing. He's finished 3rd in the time trial so he can run. He's obviously a lovely kick and at 190cm he can be a target as well as get back to provide some defensive cover.
And
Fritsch - who probably played his best games on the wing. Has to build his tank but he's a natural ball getter in space. His overhead work is a huge advantage and he's a lovely penetrating kick.

Proper wingmen means Harmes is unlucky and comes off the bench as first in to the guts and Jones also probably heads to the bench as a versatile option who can play forward, wing or on ball.
I don't think we really need 2 fat side winger types in the starting midfield, like Fritsch and Kolodjashnij, with both working in space. 1 of them will suffice. the other should have a good mix of inside/outside game, like Brayshaw does. Fritsch to play forward and push up to the wing when the balls in our defence and KK has dropped back to help out.
C Brayshaw Harmes Kolo
R Gawn Viney Oliver

I don't think we really need 2 fat side winger types in the starting midfield, like Fritsch and Kolodjashnij, with both working in space. 1 of them will suffice. the other should have a good mix of inside/outside game, like Brayshaw does. Fritsch to play forward and push up to the wing when the balls in our defence and KK has dropped back to help out.
C Brayshaw Harmes Kolo
R Gawn Viney Oliver
Same six for me. Salem is already a very good half back who is going to get even better. Leave him there - he’s becoming quite good at defending 1v1 and still lacks the real burst of pace to play on a wing.

We are writing off Jonesy’s experience way to easily, for mine Fritsch and KK have a lot of work to do to knock Jonesy off a wing. He finished top 6 in ththe bnf for a reason

We are writing off Jonesy’s experience way to easily, for mine Fritsch and KK have a lot of work to do to knock Jonesy off a wing. He finished top 6 in ththe bnf for a reason

I want Jonesy up forward myself. He's had a ripper kick on him in the past. Beginning to slow down and I reckon Brayshaw, Harmes, Salem, Viney, Oliver etc have him covered for pace in the engine room now. Same with Lewis, who I reckon will be pushed right back to back pocket.

The reason he finished top 6 in the B+F was all the votes he got early in the year when Viney was out, Brayshaw was out of the side or on a wing and Harmes was playing wing or forward or even ruck for one game.

The other reason to exclude Jones is to try to get him settled in a forward and rotating in to the midfield role. I really think staying on the wing would just be playing out time on his career. The best thing to prolong his career is to find a new role.

A bit earlier this year than usual, but that's all good - we can see how our opinions change over the pre-season. Apologies in advance for limited poll options. Couldn't even include Melksham (who I'm classifying more as a forward), plus a heap of others including new draftees.

Part 1 is looking at the midfield six:

Please vote for the six players you'd want to fill those positions. :footy:

2016 team:
B: Neville Jetta | Lynden Dunn (vc) | Colin Garland
HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | Tomas Bugg
C: Dom Tyson | Bernie Vince | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Christian Petracca | Cam Pedersen | Dean Kent
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | Jack Watts
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones (c) | Jack Viney
I/C: Aaron vandenBerg | Sam Frost | Jack Grimes | James Harmes

E: Billy Stretch | Heritier Lumumba | Jack Trengove

2017 team:
FB: Neville Jetta | Oscar McDonald | Tom McDonald
C: Jordan Lewis | Clayton Oliver | Dom Tyson
HF: Christian Petracca | Jesse Hogan | Dean Kent
FF: Jeff Garlett | Cam Pedersen | Jack Watts
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones | Jack Viney
INT: Angus Brayshaw | Christian Salem | Billy Stretch | Bernie Vince

E: Jake Melksham | Aaron vandenBerg | Tomas Bugg

IN FROM 2016: Oscar McDonald, Jayden Hunt, Michael Hibberd, Jordan Lewis, Clayton Oliver, Billy Stretch
OUT FROM 2016: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Tomas Bugg, Aaron vandenBerg, Jack Grimes, James Harmes

2018 team:
FB: Neville Jetta | Oscar McDonald | Jake Lever
C: Angus Brayshaw | Dom Tyson | Nathan Jones
HF: Jake Melksham | Jesse Hogan | Christian Petracca
FF: Jeff Garlett | Tom McDonald | Mitch Hannan
R: Max Gawn | Clayton Oliver | Jack Viney
INT: Christian Salem | Alex Neal-Bullen | Jordan Lewis | James Harmes

E: Cam Pedersen | Bernie Vince | Corey Maynard | Joel Smith

IN FROM 2017: Jake Lever, Jake Melksham, Mitch Hannan, Alex Neal-Bullen, James Harmes
OUT FROM 2017: Jack Watts, Dean Kent, Cam Pedersen, Billy Stretch, Bernie Vince

2019 team:
FB: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
HB: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
HF: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
FF: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
INT: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

E: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

IN FROM 2018:
OUT FROM 2018: Dom Tyson, Jesse Hogan