benblinkau

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2011
Newcastle
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Wow - just listened to Macca and Portia’s review of the SA draftees, part 2. Portia in particular did not rate Grundy or Woodcock. Combined with her sentiments about the Duursma pick, she would not have been happy yesterday.

Yeh i asked the question a about woodcock... i was surprised he was so underrated! Really happy to get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We also had a useless pick in the next round that everyone had ignored as we were never going to use it. However with all the other teams pulling out, it advanced right up, and there were two players we wanted, so voila!

I didn't realize you could pick up players after the drafts obviously a new thing but I'd imagine you would have to have a list spot open. Pity would love another surprise lol

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I always wondered why clubs would leave talent they were clearly after to go through the ND and risk them going early in the rookie draft. Colquhoun comes to mind (he was actually pre-season draft but similar concept).

Made more sense when the rookie draft was later and you could have people train with you, but now when the only distinction is basically a lower/shorter contract I was very happy to see us pounce at the back end of the ND. It's likely other clubs had decided to wait on either Grundy or Woodcock and get them as rookies.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I didn't realize you could pick up players after the drafts obviously a new thing but I'd imagine you would have to have a list spot open. Pity would love another surprise lol
It wasn't after the draft! It was at the tail end, and we were still in it. Go here and have a look at the last two rounds of the draft, rounds 5 and 6. Boyd Woodcock basically last player picked in the draft. By then all the other teams had passed and pulled out.
http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-tracker

I always wondered why clubs would leave talent they were clearly after to go through the ND and risk them going early in the rookie draft. Colquhoun comes to mind (he was actually pre-season draft but similar concept).

Made more sense when the rookie draft was later and you could have people train with you, but now when the only distinction is basically a lower/shorter contract I was very happy to see us pounce at the back end of the ND. It's likely other clubs had decided to wait on either Grundy or Woodcock and get them as rookies.

We did a similar thing with Frampton, he was touted to be taken by GWS as the #1 rookie pick that year iirc.

There would have to be more than a few players taken late in the national draft that were in line for a round 1 rookie pick. We just don't hear about it all that often.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It wasn't after the draft! It was at the tail end, and we were still in it. Go here and have a look at the last two rounds of the draft, rounds 5 and 6. Boyd Woodcock basically last player picked in the draft. By then all the other teams had passed and pulled out.
http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-tracker
But north are getting cambell from dogs richmond weller and are getting stack to train with them and a few others as well. This happening after draft some probly tèed up before draft. Wasn't talking about woodcock probly wrong thread sorry about that but there is a new rookie signing period.

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can somebody please explain where we got the extra draft pick to use on Woodcock?

TrollFace.jpg

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We had spots on our list that we did not have to and weren't going to fill.

When we saw that Grundy and Woodcock were still there, we changed our plans and pounced.
Pretty glad we nabbed Woodcock. He said 6 clubs had promised to pick him up later in the draft or on their rookie list. Explains why we jumped in rather than trying to rookie him. Sounds like a very positive draft all round.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But north are getting cambell from dogs richmond weller and are getting stack to train with them and a few others as well. This happening after draft some probly tèed up before draft. Wasn't talking about woodcock probly wrong thread sorry about that but there is a new rookie signing period.
Yeah, well you referenced my post on Woodcock's pick, which was part of the National draft. What you are talking about is soothing different and new.

Previously-listed footballers who spent a season or more out of the game no longer have to go through The draft experience to find an AFL home again as a Category A rookie.

They can instead sign with a club in the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) between December 1 and March 15, after all the drafts are over.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah, well you referenced my post on Woodcock's pick, which was part of the National draft. What you are talking about is soothing different and new.

Previously-listed footballers who spent a season or more out of the game no longer have to go through The draft experience to find an AFL home again as a Category A rookie.

They can instead sign with a club in the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) between December 1 and March 15, after all the drafts are over.

Yeah i get that i was referencing the fact that boyd and riley where a surprise as most of us thought we wouldn't use those picks and i would love another surprise after the draft . But i see i probably quoted the wrong post and weren't clear. Play on

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah i get that i was referencing the fact that boyd and riley where a surprise as most of us thought we wouldn't use those picks and i would love another surprise after the draft . But i see i probably quoted the wrong post and weren't clear. Play on
You're welcome!:cool:

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Woodcock looks like a genuine crumbing forward - a role we have never really successfully filled. The last bloke who did a decent job there was probably Josh Mahoney.
We have gotten away with playing our best mids there (Wingard / RGray) and also trying to fit another mid to the role, based on his height rather than his skill set, with mixed success (SGray). Other than that the fwd pocket is a black hole at PAFC (Phillips, Hitchcock, Neade).
Good luck to the kid.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
will be interesting, theres defiantly a spot come round 1 for a crumbing defensive forward.
will be competing with farrell, johnson, Sgray etc.... no one has really cemented or taken their chances so far

So he's been liking fortnite streamer videos on twitter of those...let's call them internet sex workers masquerading as 'gamers.

Spud, delist.

Trying to cause your second Fortnite-related sacking?

Back