Status
Not open for further replies.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The silver lining is, the membership still gets us to every game except the GF. We are still getting very good access.... I think I (we) forget that sometimes
Gold are not even getting tickets thanks to those Ticketek campaigners

Entering my 10th year, currently 2296. Can't remember last years numbers, but movement is getting extremely slow, could be another 5 years before gold.

Edit: So a friend had my position last year as 2541, which means a change of 245 places and potentially another 10 years before gold.

I won't even be living in Victoria anymore, so is it worth keeping a normal membership to keep my position going down...?

DvhRZCD.gif

Last edited:
Going by how many seats in the AFL members at the GF were obviously not occupied by members (e.g. entire bays of WCE fans) suggests they are lowering the number of members considerably. They don't admit it and just say the slow upgrades are due to "high renewal rate"
Yep I think this is what's happening as well. I got a seat as a Collingwood club member for the GF, but was seated in the AFL members. I would say up until about Q17-Q18 was most likely club members...

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Going by how many seats in the AFL members at the GF were obviously not occupied by members (e.g. entire bays of WCE fans) suggests they are lowering the number of members considerably. They don't admit it and just say the slow upgrades are due to "high renewal rate"
There are always seats in the AFL Reserve not allocated to AFL members for the GF. There were stats a few months back in this thread, something like 14k seats going to AFL Members out of a total reserve of something like 21k. This is no reason to reduce the number of Gold Members though. If they want to funnel off a few more GF seats they can do it without changing the number of Gold members.

There are always seats in the AFL Reserve not allocated to AFL members for the GF. There were stats a few months back in this thread, something like 14k seats going to AFL Members out of a total reserve of something like 21k. This is no reason to reduce the number of Gold Members though. If they want to funnel off a few more GF seats they can do it without changing the number of Gold members.
Usually those seats aren't club members though. They are other forms of membership that get seats in the AFL reserve for the GF, such as life members, medallion club and corporate sponsors. I've never heard of club members sitting in the AFL reserve until this year.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Usually those seats aren't club members though. They are other forms of membership that get seats in the AFL reserve for the GF, such as life members, medallion club and corporate sponsors. I've never heard of club members sitting in the AFL reserve until this year.
I think it varies year by year. Do we know if they were club members? There are heaps of those $2k packages that get sold in the AFL reserve, a lot of club members end up buying those. Also the AFL may shuffle things around putting some packages/corporate stuff into better parts of the stadium and shaft club members up to level 4 in the AFL reserve. I don't know.

Anyway it doesn't really matter. If they want to put club members into the AFL reserve on GF day there is no need to change the number of Gold members, just means fewer of them end up with a GF seat.

Mar 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it varies year by year. Do we know if they were club members? There are heaps of those $2k packages that get sold in the AFL reserve, a lot of club members end up buying those. Also the AFL may shuffle things around putting some packages/corporate stuff into better parts of the stadium and shaft club members up to level 4 in the AFL reserve. I don't know.

Anyway it doesn't really matter. If they want to put club members into the AFL reserve on GF day there is no need to change the number of Gold members, just means fewer of them end up with a GF seat.
Not GF... but in the normal home and away season my Richmond club membership gets me a reserved seat in the AFL members for $9 for Richmond away games at the MCG

Moved 156 spots

934 to 778

Still years off...
yeah I haven't seen my number move this year but that 8-10 year wait when i joined is looking like a 15-20 year wait by the time I get in, which is annoying as I thought I was going to get in last year based on how quickly i was moving the last few years, now I could be looking at another 10 years.....

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
The AFL members are fast facing the same issue as MCC, in that the uptake of Silver members is massively above the volume of Gold members who don’t renew.

Will end up with a massive pool of silver members who spend 20-30+ years waiting for Gold status...as Gold members won’t give up their status.

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
The AFL members are fast facing the same issue as MCC, in that the uptake of Silver members is massively above the volume of Gold members who don’t renew.

Will end up with a massive pool of silver members who spend 20-30+ years waiting for Gold status...as Gold members won’t give up their status.

Hopefully once the gold members get their MCC membership they will drop off.

I dont think people will handle waiting 40 years for Gold membership. Its almost better value to just get GA membership and pay 1-2K whenever your club makes the GF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back