Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Remove this Banner Ad

Good thing about our newest draftees though is that IMO they’re all capable of playing a lot of senior football earlier in the piece than Scrimshaw, so hopefully they’re less likely to get frustrated being stuck in the NEAFL.
All except Ben King have already played against men. I can even see Ben getting a few games later in the year to get a taste if the coaches think he’s physically ready.

I think Ben King was best on ground against the North Melbourne VFL team when the national academy played them earlier this year. Playing centre half back

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Ben King was best on ground against the North Melbourne VFL team when the national academy played them earlier this year. Playing centre half back

Really. Didn’t know that. Nice to hear he’s already competed well against senior opposition. Cameron did say he didn’t want to pigeon hole him into any one position yet, but did say he sees him as an elite defender who might play a few games forward early. Looks a good match up for those quick talls like Hipwood and Daniher. Not sure what his tank is like yet.

Good thing about our newest draftees though is that IMO they’re all capable of playing a lot of senior football earlier in the piece than Scrimshaw, so hopefully they’re less likely to get frustrated being stuck in the NEAFL.
All except Ben King have already played against men. I can even see Ben getting a few games later in the year to get a taste if the coaches think he’s physically ready.
This I would expect Lukosius and Rankine to feature very early on. Sit Rankine in the forward pocket don't move him all game.

Lukosius will probably play high half forward or even on a wing with a good aerobic capacity and a great field kick, play a role similar to Riewoldt just before his retirement.

From the report on the game........

After coming off a bag of eight goals last weekend, Max King begun the match with two marks in the first quarter – but similar to last Saturday, his three early shots on goal only resulted in a sole goal. King finished the day with 2.2 in a solid showing inside forward 50.

Twin brother Ben held down a key-post in defence, marking well overhead and spoiling when required. His consistent performance throughout the day saw him earn the MCC President’s Medal as the best player from the AFL Academy side.

Jack Lukosius, the player considered by many to be the front runner for the 2018 number one pick, started the game in defensive 50, before moving forward after half time, where he looked far more comfortable.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/...cademy-stunning-win-over-north-melbourne-vfl/

Holy s**t!!! Check out Izak’s 2017 highlights tape...

More impressive than his 2018 reel IMO.
I can remember watching this one with a mate near the end of the 2017 season (Carlton supporter) and neither of us thought we'd have any chance of picking him up. We both were pretty wrong about that.

Last edited:
Those 2017 highlights are seriously impressive.
How exciting are some of his attributes.
Spatial awareness off the charts, acceleration top notch, class finishing.

Cant wait to see him kicking goals for us next year.

I can remember watching this one with a mate near the end of the 2017 season (Carlton supporter) and neither of us thought we'd have any chance of picking him up. We both were pretty wrong about that.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Thank God Sam Walsh showed up!! If we can eventually get this kid into the midfield and average 20-25 possessions we’ll be killing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even looks perfectly balanced in that photo
Cheeky character too.
Are they training behind barriers? Big white tarp in the background.

Thank God Sam Walsh showed up!! If we can eventually get this kid into the midfield and average 20-25 possessions we’ll be killing it.

I don't think he'll ever be a player that averages 20-25 possessions. He'll be the type that averages about 15 possessions of enormous impact. He's not an accumulator, but he is a match winner. If I were GCS I'd attach him to GHS, if Rankine can replicate GHS's professionalism then he'll easily be the best player out of this draft.

I don't think he'll ever be a player that averages 20-25 possessions. He'll be the type that averages about 15 possessions of enormous impact. He's not an accumulator, but he is a match winner. If I were GCS I'd attach him to GHS, if Rankine can replicate GHS's professionalism then he'll easily be the best player out of this draft.
You're probably right, that's why I said "if". Where we play him will have a big say on his numbers, as well as how we improve as a team. If he's stuck up forward, he'll likely starve to death and leave, but I think we'll be keen to get him through the midfield rotations ASAP. He reminds me so much of Aker, but better in the air. Aker averaged a tick over 18 disposals over his career, with a lot of his early football playing out of a back pocket after Matthews came up with the brilliant idea, before transitioning to a mid-HF role. Izak will no doubt start forward. I'm just looking forward to seeing him play. You could see the excitement from Craig Cameron before the draft in that video when he says "we're going to get Izak Rankine!!' before the first pick had even been made.

Akermanis = Rankine

Maybe not 100%, Rankine more developed physically at this age, Aker could kick on both feet, but I think we'll see Izak compiling highlight reels like Aker within a couple of seasons. Like Jack Martin, he won't have to get 30 touches a game to show his worth. It will be the quality of his contributions, like Cyril Rioli (imagine if the 40th senior list spot is being kept open for Cyril!!) who averaged 19 touches a game.

I will be keeping a close eye on both Rankine & Lukosius

Hope these 2 boys really have a great Career at the suns and enjoy life up there and become 300 game'rs for you guys

Congratulations on having the 8alls to select these boys

personally i think Rankine will be the best player from this draft - Lets hope im right

This guy could be the most freakish footballer of all time. It's ridiculous what he can do.

I totally agree and hope he enjoys living and playing on the Gold Coast for many years to come.
I know you blokes would like him and Jack both to head home asap, and I can understand that, but I'm not sure if you're aware or, for that matter, your allies on the BF Adelaide board are aware, that we have 11 SA blokes on our list and not one of them has asked to go home...... YET.
The GC is a 2nd home to all of them. We love them here and they appear to like being here.......it's the VIC Metro boys who seem to miss their mummys the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back