News Pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Includes VFL players as well.Apart from that it's a clear advantage to WA and SA

Initially it sounded like it applied to anyone who’d nominated before, but it seems to have been reined back to only former AFL players.

Pretty sweet deal for the WA and SA clubs. Any Harry Taylor or Tim Kelly that pops up via the WAFL you can just list. Choice of staying home or going interstate, they are going to stay home.

It is a sweet deal if every club passes them over and they get thrown a lifeline a week later

We all know how players jump out of the woodwork in late November

Hot tip: read what you just wrote and see if it actually makes logical sense

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
It is a sweet deal if every club passes them over and they get thrown a lifeline a week later

We all know how players jump out of the woodwork in late November

Hot tip: read what you just wrote and see if it actually makes logical sense

I'm only going by the tweets in the thread that say if you had previously nominated for the draft and were overlooked in that previous year you are eligible for this in a future year.

i.e Kelly nominates in 2016, gets overlooked in 2016, Kelly can abstain from the national draft in 2017 and clubs can take him under this scheme as a rookie instead.

I'm only going by the tweets in the thread that say if you had previously nominated for the draft and were overlooked in that previous year you are eligible for this in a future year.

i.e Kelly nominates in 2016, gets overlooked in 2016, Kelly can abstain from the national draft in 2017 and clubs can take him under this scheme as a rookie instead.

The later articles backtrack from that.

Otherwise someone would have snapped Pickett or Fort up

WC just won the draft and completely exploited the rule by securing the services of Keegan Brooksby

I mean... seriously

Clubs are getting stocking filler selections here

It’s a great initiative to actually give low paid rookies some say about their employment without denying any club access to talent

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The later articles backtrack from that.

Otherwise someone would have snapped Pickett or Fort up

One article I read implied that it had been reined back for this year but that in future years might be relaxed so that anyone previously passed over in the draft was eligible. Given the AFL's penchant for making things up as they go along, who knows what the rule will look like in future years.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
One article I read implied that it had been reined back for this year but that in future years might be relaxed so that anyone previously passed over in the draft was eligible. Given the AFL's penchant for making things up as they go along, who knows what the rule will look like in future years.
Unintended consequences - this will advantage strong clubs and WA, SA clubs. Previously overlooked draftees who are suddenly playing great footy at the levels below AFL will have multiple clubs after them, they'll go to their home state club or in Vic go the the strongest clubs.

AFL makes stuff up on the run without thinking it through. Titus O'Reilly's latest output on the 2018 season sums it all up beautifully.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Ouch.

Cats loses out because the AFL just changed the rules mid off season with half the deals done!

Thats terrible!

I posted that after an AFL.com.au journo confirmed that players like Krueger could have got on a list this way.

A few days later he wrote an article which said that he would have to go through this draft prior to using this new method of entering a list.

So cats don’t actually lose anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

camppo

Rookie
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
i'm a little late to this... but im really confused as to who is eligible? is it anybody that was passed up in last weeks draft or only ex-players + players that had previously nominated for a draft (2017 and prior) and not been selected?

i read that Richmond have put a request in to sign Sydney Stack via this period? wasn't he just a state 18's player that missed out on getting drafted?

camppo

Rookie
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Stack went through the draft and wasn’t selected, so he can be picked up by anyone now.

Would have been a different issue if he hadn’t nominated for the draft.

ah ok ... so its anyone that was passed on... even this year's draft just gone.... as long as they nominated they can still get picked up.

so still hope for some kids.

be interesting to see how many clubs have spots available still.

ah ok ... so its anyone that was passed on... even this year's draft just gone.... as long as they nominated they can still get picked up.

so still hope for some kids.

be interesting to see how many clubs have spots available still.

Just going off passes in the rookie draft
Carlton: 1
Essendon: 1 (Clarke)
Gold Coast: 1 (they're looking for a ruckman apparently, maybe Jake Spencer?)
GWS: 2 (1 being used on Mumford)
Melbourne: 2 (1 being used on Wagner)
North: 1 (Campbell)
Richmond: 2 (Weller and Stack)
West Coast: 1 (Brooksby)
Bulldogs: 1

Plus anyone with a retired or long term injured injured player can replace them, e.g. Sydney with Tippett

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just going off passes in the rookie draft
Carlton: 1
Essendon: 1 (Clarke)
Gold Coast: 1 (they're looking for a ruckman apparently, maybe Jake Spencer?)
GWS: 2 (1 being used on Mumford)
Melbourne: 2 (1 being used on Wagner)
North: 1 (Campbell)
Richmond: 2 (Weller and Stack)
West Coast: 1 (Brooksby)
Bulldogs: 1

Plus anyone with a retired or long term injured injured player can replace them, e.g. Sydney with Tippett
Gold Coast technically have 2 spots .
1 senior list
1 Rookie list

* Upgrade a player eg Holman to senior

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Could players potentially exploit these rules in the future to get to the team he wants?

BTW do the players go onto the main list or rookie list?
Rookie list with minimum paid , so basically eg Marverick , stack need to perform or cut loose by Richmond in a year time .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back