2018 Pakistan vs New Zealand (T20s, ODIs & 3 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Must be why they won.

On a semi-relevant subject Wagner strikes me as a bit of a knob anyway.

I rate his ticker but f*** me how he gets wickets continually bowling 135km bouncers when the batsmen know his plan has got me buggered.
Its immeasurable to how much of an effect it had on them winning. It seemed to have an effect on Wagner getting Shah but I cant say either way.

You're right though, when you describe Wagners bowling it sounds innocuous. Maybe there is something outside his bowling that gives him an extra edge? Maybe its his intimiatry nature which involves an amount of sledging? I don't know but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as having no effect.

Sledging happens in every sport and some people are effected by it (both positively and negatively) and some aren't. Johnathan Thurston and the QLD team used to constantly sledge Mitchell Pearce at every opportunity in State of Origin. Harry Taylor is apparently one of the great sledgers. Its just more noticeable in cricket because its the centre of the action as usually nothing else is happening while it is going on.

Hell PhatBoy you are actually one of the great sledgers on this board (thats a compliment). Your prolific use of the word * and creative variations on insults always give me a good chuckle.

Its immeasurable to how much of an effect it had on them winning. It seemed to have an effect on Wagner getting Shah but I cant say either way.

You're right though, when you describe Wagners bowling it sounds innocuous. Maybe there is something outside his bowling that gives him an extra edge? Maybe its his intimiatry nature which involves an amount of sledging? I don't know but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as having no effect.

Sledging happens in every sport and some people are effected by it (both positively and negatively) and some aren't. Johnathan Thurston and the QLD team used to constantly sledge Mitchell Pearce at every opportunity in State of Origin. Harry Taylor is apparently one of the great sledgers. Its just more noticeable in cricket because its the centre of the action as usually nothing else is happening while it is going on.

Hell PhatBoy you are actually one of the great sledgers on this board (thats a compliment). Your prolific use of the word **** and creative variations on insults always give me a good chuckle.

I love giving it to people in a battle of intellect or wit or whatever, I don’t shy away from that. But I just don’t get the need for it in sport, I really don’t. If you are mentally strong enough to get to test cricket, I seriously doubt that any amount of sledging - of the abusive sort, at least, is going to do anything. Casually pointing out to a teammate how skmeone’s technique is ripe for a wicket - that I get. It can get them thinking about technical aspects of their game etc. even Flintoff saying ‘mind the windows Tino’ seemed to have an effect. But I reckon the amount of batsmen who genuinely get detrimentally effected by bowlers abusing them or fielders calling them s**t or whatever is absolutely negligible.

When you look back over the last 25 years, and look across the genuinely good batsmen Australia have played, how many can you say have been ‘weak’ against Australia but good against everyone else? Cullinan and Atherton are the only two that readily spring to mind. One of them was simply unable to handle Glenn McGrath. The other, fair enough, was mentally incapable of handling the verbals.
Certainly there are players who were worse against Australia than against other teams, but not to the point where you could attribute it to anything other than the fact that Australia simply had great attacks.

Re. Mitchell Pearce, if you look into it I think you’ll find that almost every time he copped it, his side was losing or had already lost the series. As good as the Queensland side were, Justin Hodges aside, most of them are front runners. Hodges would sledge his own Mum but most of them focus on the game first before getting lippy. Which admittedly - and I say this as a Queensland fan - is a pretty downhill ski-ish

Apparently Wagner was chirping during the end overs according to the commentary I followed in cricinfo.
Yep Wagner was talking s**t non-stop, kinda funny watching the kiwi players all avert their eyes while he is giving it to the batsmen.

All teams have bowlers who sledge even the kiwis it's just not that big a deal, on this forum we all give each other more crap that these sports people ever do anyway.

well he is south african

Anyone know the fewest number of deliveries for a team to lose all 10 wickets? The Kiwis lost all 10 today in 83 balls.
When South Africa were bowled out for 30 in 1924 its was within 12.3 overs (75 balls) so that is at least inside it. However they were 0-1 so it would be less than that but I don't think they recorded what balls wickets fell on back then.

Edit: West Indies lost 10 wickets in 70 deliveries in 1999 v Australia.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...st-test-australia-tour-of-west-indies-1998-99

Last edited:
Anyone know the fewest number of deliveries for a team to lose all 10 wickets? The Kiwis lost all 10 today in 83 balls.
In fact its not even the fewest amount of deliveries faced to lose 10 wickets this year. Bangladesh lost 10-33 in 82 deliveries v West Indies in July.

Not tests and not 10 wickets but mighty close, the Windies went from 1/172 to 201 all out in the space of 67 balls in and ODI against Australia circa 2007ish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

68. South Africa also lost 9 wickets in 68 deliveries that day :D.
So you're telling me it wasn't exactly a boring day of cricket? :)

I'm just thankful we scored another 6 runs to get past NZ's 26 - we never would have lived it down!!!

Last edited:
What is going on with Ross Taylor at the moment? This is twice in a row he has gone out extremely cheaply in the first innings of a test match, even when conditions are supposed to be most favourable for batting in UAE at this point in a match.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

What is going on with Ross Taylor at the moment? This is twice in a row he has gone out extremely cheaply in the first innings of a test match, even when conditions are supposed to be most favourable for batting in UAE at this point in a match.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
The ball he got out to was on a good length but didn't get above ankle height. He was pretty stiff to get it first up.

Watling's patience is something to behold.

Also, Will Somerville has a test cap. How on earth did that happen? He hasn't played and FC match since 2017 according to Cricinfo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back