Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The Oliver quip was probably a bit much, but oppo fans are going to be in for a bit of a shock with Sier in the next year or two. His numbers this year were impressive for any sub 10 gamer, but context is key. He was getting those numbers from ~60% game time because his tank is awful. A couple of preseasons will see him regularly getting 30 disposal games. He’ll be regarded as a top 10 player in this draft soon enough. Anyone can feel free to bookmark this.

I'm confident Milera will bolt into most people's top 10 by the end of the year.

If I could pick the top 10 for their career as opposed to what they have achieved so far.

1. Mills (3)
2. Hipwood (14)
3. Oliver (4)
4. Milera (11)
5. Curnow (12)
6. Rioli (15)
7. Himmilberg (16)
8. Doedee (17)
9. Francis (6)
10. Wietering (1)

Phillips (58) is the bargain buy so far.

All Australian, AFLCA Young Player of the year, 2 x 22Under 22 team, club b&f, runner up in club b&f that made a preliminary final, 1 top 5 finish in the AFLCA award & 1 top 10 finish in the AFLCA award.

They are great accolades for a players whole career let alone a player that has only played 60 games.

The rest of the draftees have a long way to catch up to what Oliver has achieved so far

All Australian, AFLCA Young Player of the year, 2 x 22Under 22 team, club b&f, runner up in club b&f that made a preliminary final, 1 top 5 finish in the AFLCA award & 1 top 10 finish in the AFLCA award.

They are great accolades for a players whole career let alone a player that has only played 60 games.

The rest of the draftees have a long way to catch up to what Oliver has achieved so far
You can't have anyone but Oliver at 1 on output.

Any rankings that don't have Oliver at 1 is based on pure guess/hoping someone may come over the top of him.

Curnow is the only one that I would consider if I had pick 1 - based on potential. But still Oliver gets the nod - give me proven over potential any day.

I'm confident Milera will bolt into most people's top 10 by the end of the year.

If I could pick the top 10 for their career as opposed to what they have achieved so far.

1. Mills (3)
2. Hipwood (14)
3. Oliver (4)
4. Milera (11)
5. Curnow (12)
6. Rioli (15)
7. Himmilberg (16)
8. Doedee (17)
9. Francis (6)
10. Wietering (1)

I really liked what I saw from Milera last season. Could push top 5 for this draft.

1. Mills (3)
2. Hipwood (14)
3. Oliver (4)
4. Milera (11)
5. Curnow (12)
6. Rioli (15)
7. Himmilberg (16)
8. Doedee (17)
9. Francis (6)
10. Wietering (1)

Whilst I respect your opinion there is no way Milera will be better than Charlie and Oliver is miles in front of everyone else listed now and future.

Whilst I respect your opinion there is no way Milera will be better than Charlie and Oliver is miles in front of everyone else listed now and future.
With respect you can't predict the future, so let's judge in a few year's time.

Feel free to put up your top-10 & we can compare down the track.

It’s still early days, but these two are certainly verging on stardom.

Maybe so.

But most of the guys are still just 20/21.

As noted, at that age Alex Rance had played just 25 AFL games (first 3 seasons). A bust? From 2013 onwards (5/6th season onwards) he turned himself into an extremely destructive force.

Guys mature at different rates.

This draft redo should be revisited again in 4 years time. I bet the rankings change again.

I’ll be very surprised if anyone overtakes Oliver or Curnow from this draft.
what's Curnow actually done though? 30 goals is decent. But it's not proven performance of a definite number 2 of the draft. People just look at him, see Kouta in him, fall in love with his delts, and fantasize about what he could be. And that's not to say he won't be, but it's nothing but conjecture at this point.

Oliver, clear number 1, no arguments no debate necessary. Until (if) someone starts doing some serious work he is number 1.

Now, that sensible s**t is out of the way, let me flip midstream into that annoying partisan poster, and state that based on the way Francis looks right now - as athletic as *; and the fact that he's actually now training with the midfield group; it would appear the penny has finally dropped. And by all means poo-poo this as much as you want to and (and you are fully entitled to), but I've rarely ever been this excited about what a player could bring to my club. Hngghhh

what's Curnow actually done though? 30 goals is decent. But it's not proven performance of a definite number 2 of the draft. People just look at him, see Kouta in him, fall in love with his delts, and fantasize about what he could be. And that's not to say he won't be, but it's nothing but conjecture at this point.

Oliver, clear number 1, no arguments no debate necessary. Until (if) someone starts doing some serious work he is number 1.

Now, that sensible s**t is out of the way, let me flip midstream into that annoying partisan poster, and state that based on the way Francis looks right now - as athletic as ****; and the fact that he's actually now training with the midfield group; it would appear the penny has finally dropped. And by all means poo-poo this as much as you want to and (and you are fully entitled to), but I've rarely ever been this excited about what a player could bring to my club. Hngghhh
No doubt Oliver has the performances to back up being number 1. Curnow I’m going off the bits he has shown. I agree he hasn’t kicked as many goals as you’d like for someone to be ranked top 2. However key position forward in a bottom side and his glimpses are great.
Francis I agree could be anything. Just want to see some continuity in playing AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt Oliver has the performances to back up being number 1. Curnow I’m going off the bits he has shown. I agree he hasn’t kicked as many goals as you’d like for someone to be ranked top 2. However key position forward in a bottom side and his glimpses are great.
Francis I agree could be anything. Just want to see some continuity in playing AFL.
of course, until he puts it on the park it's also nothing but pure speculation. I must say though, seeing how goddamn athletic he is looking at preseason is extraordinarily encouraging

34 goals from a 21yo CHF is pretty decent output though; particularly when you realise that equates to kicking 18% of his team’s score from CHF, not too far off the Coleman medalist (21%) who played closer to goal. But it’s what Charlie does up the ground that impresses people as much as anything he does in the F50. Missed two games and still finished 11th in the league for contested marks at 21yo and so far, no one in this draft comes close to having demonstrated his aerial ability ... skills like that come very highly rated and are going to push any player to the top end of their draft board.

Now, that sensible s**t is out of the way, let me flip midstream into that annoying partisan poster, and state that based on the way Francis looks right now - as athletic as ****; and the fact that he's actually now training with the midfield group; it would appear the penny has finally dropped. And by all means poo-poo this as much as you want to and (and you are fully entitled to), but I've rarely ever been this excited about what a player could bring to my club. Hngghhh

Ess supporters exploded when Daniher kicked 34 goals in 22 games in his 3rd year - Curnow kicked 34 in 20. They have every right to be extremely excited.

Curnow 3rd year stacks up well against a lot of the good young forwards:

Curnow 34 in 20 games
Daniher 34 in 22 games
J Roo 32 in 20 games
N Roo 30 in 22 games
J Kenendy 7 in 7 games.

You have talked up Francis after 1 or 2 good games. Go and watch round 1 V the Tigers again - 10 marks 5 goals against a great defense.

I am taking Curnow as a clear 2 and you just jinxed Francis. Cheers.

Ess supporters exploded when Daniher kicked 34 goals in 22 games in his 3rd year - Curnow kicked 34 in 20. They have every right to be extremely excited.

Curnow 34 in 20 games
Daniher 34 in 22 games
J Roo 32 in 20 games
N Roo 30 in 22 games
J Kenendy 7 in 7 games.

You have talked up Francis after 1 or 2 good games. Go and watch round 1 V the Tigers again - 10 marks 5 goals against a great defense.

Add in Hipwood 37 in 22 ;)

I think Oliver is pretty clearly number 1 with a reasonable gap and then I'd have Curnow at 2 ahead of hipwood and mills (not sure who is 3 and who is 4). Sier can enter this list when he has played more than 12 games in 3 years, Pies fans but he does look like a good player.

A few games of Francis, matched up against Curnow, would settle the discussion

I like the look of Sier. But he’ll never overtake Oliver.

Sier is 191cm and 88 kg his first 12 games @ 19.5 d and 10.6 cp
Oliver is 187 and 83 kg his first 13 games @ 19.2 d and 9.5 cp
Maybe we should revisit this in a years time.

Totally irrelevant that one of these played his first 12 games as an 19 year old while the other played his first 12 games as a 21 year old

Oliver was also 18yo when he debuted. Look I think Sier will be a good player perhaps very good. But Oliver is already one of the better midfielders in the comp. I’ll happily revisit in 12 mongths and I still don’t think Sier will be as good as Oliver.

Oliver was also 18yo when he debuted. Look I think Sier will be a good player perhaps very good. But Oliver is already one of the better midfielders in the comp. I’ll happily revisit in 12 mongths and I still don’t think Sier will be as good as Oliver.

Unless Sier wins the brownlow next year or something outrageous I'm not sure what he could do to be even in the same conversation as Oliver after just a full season. He'd certainly have to drastically increase his fitness this off season and be on the ground far more to even have a shot at "catching up."

Which is no disrespect to Sier as a player! It is just that Oliver is already in the conversation for being one of the best 5-10 midfielders for the competition.

Curnow 34 in 20 games
Daniher 34 in 22 games
J Roo 32 in 20 games
N Roo 30 in 22 games
J Kenendy 7 in 7 games.

Really don’t think we did “explode” then, at that point we could all see the potential and the skill set but I know most didn’t “explode” until he kicked 65 in 2017.

We can all see the potential in Curnow, his upside is massive but right now potential is all it is. Can see the potential in Francis too, if he keeps it all together I really think Curnow and he will be the argument for the 2nd best player of this draft.

For the record Oliver is the best player from this draft and it’s not even close.

Totally irrelevant that one of these played his first 12 games as an 19 year old while the other played his first 12 games as a 21 year old
*20 year old

Sier doesn’t turn 21 until the end of December.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back