Analysis Pre/Mid-Season Draft - Who is in contention?

Remove this Banner Ad

Antares

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/afl-brings-in-midseason-rookie-draft-for-2019-

Just some things I'm confused on:
Looking at the Swans for example, would they be able to pick someone up in Kurt Tippett's spot after December 1st?
If a club has a player suffering a long-term injury right now, will they be allowed to pick someone up right from December first? Or does it only apply to players suffering an injury in the pre-season?
If they can, who are the clubs currently eligible to select a player? I imagine we might be able to with Lukas Webb still in a neck brace and Liam Picken still suffering headaches.

Also, who do you think are the first names that would be in contention for this draft? I would have thought clubs would look to the best state league players like Michael Gibbons, Marlion Pickett, Jye Bolton and Mitch Grigg, although I'm surprised they weren't picked up from the normal rookie draft.

You are a little mixed up.

There is an SPP period until March.

There is a mid season trade period.

• Banned
You are a little mixed up.

There is an SPP period until March.

There is a mid season trade period.
I haven't heard it called anything other than a mid-season draft, even for the pre-season period.

Also, there isn't a single mention of the word "trade" in that article. It's a mid-season rookie draft.

Also, who do you think are the first names that would be in contention for this draft? I would have thought clubs would look to the best state league players like Michael Gibbons, Marlion Pickett, Jye Bolton and Mitch Grigg, although I'm surprised they weren't picked up from the normal rookie draft.
Yep would be ready to go players to fill a list need be that through injury or a deficiency in that position.

Which clubs have available list spots?

I think Geelong are full now.

I find our pick of Darcy Fort quite fascinating.

Despite an ordinary ruck division we showed no interest of changing it, ins or outs, during the trade period.

Stanley and Abbott re-signed with Smith seemingly a dead man walking with 1 year on his contract.

It's like we had list spots to fill with late picks at the draft so we just decided to hoard Fort for the sake of it. He'd be like the #1 target mid season for any club with ruck injuries if he didn't get picked so I get the feeling we've jumped in pre- emptively this year for 2020.

• Banned
Which clubs have available list spots?

I think Geelong are full now.

I find our pick of Darcy Fort quite fascinating.

Despite an ordinary ruck division we showed no interest of changing it, ins or outs, during the trade period.

Stanley and Abbott re-signed with Smith seemingly a dead man walking with 1 year on his contract.

It's like we had list spots to fill with late picks at the draft so we just decided to hoard Fort for the sake of it. He'd be like the #1 target mid season for any club with ruck injuries if he didn't get picked so I get the feeling we've jumped in pre- emptively this year for 2020.
Do you have to have list spots available? I thought if a player gets moved to the inactive list, that opens up a temporary slot for a SSP slot?

Will Langford as a rookie now is the same position as Tippett.
Both retired but both Hawks and Swans can replace them with SPP.

Not sure on the Dogs players as once a player goes onto the inactive list they can't move back during the season.

It would have been perfect for the Blues as Docherty with his long term injury was not going to play and had the rule been in
place prior to 2018 season they could have gone for a replacement player.

Is there a link to the new mid season trade/draft rules?

Also - does anyone else think it is overly cumbersome that mature rookies who have been overlooked etc aren't allowed to train at a club until Dec 1.

Surely once they reach agreement - they should be able to start.

Seems ridiculously cumbersome, as does the requirement for Tippett to be re-listed.

Is there a link to the new mid season trade/draft rules?

Also - does anyone else think it is overly cumbersome that mature rookies who have been overlooked etc aren't allowed to train at a club until Dec 1.

Surely once they reach agreement - they should be able to start.

Seems ridiculously cumbersome, as does the requirement for Tippett to be re-listed.

I'm especially interested to see if there is a mid season list lodgement period. Also if minimum contract periods are reduced to be more in line with American sport.

There's probably some scope to delist some players in the last year of their contract that are just treading water in the reserves at the time of the mid season draft, pay out their last 6 months into the TPP, pick up a couple of state guys in the mid season draft, give them 12 games or so to perform and train under the clubs eye's on a 6 month deal, then either the club has the option to re-sign them or cut them loose back into the pool.

On that arrangement, you would see a huge increase in the volume of state league players being given a shot at the big time and a far smaller chance of the Barlow, Kellys etc slipping through 4-5 drafts, as list spots would be far more fluid than they currently are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back