Review Winners and losers of the draft (2018 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mate. Crows recruiting has been great of late. I would have loved McHenry at our pick. You got a beauty. I actually saw him the other day when he went for that 30km run from Geelong to Barwon Heads. Absolute machine.
Have a look at this if you haven't seen it. There is a recurring theme.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...-************-knightmare-first-round-analysis

Predicting drafts is the devil's work.

Hence, it is 100% certifiably insane to have a thread for "Winners and losers of the 2018 Draft".

Seriously insane.

Maybe Jye Caldwell ends up the best of the this draft, or he only plays 75 games due to his hamstring issues. No one can tell.
You need to take this thread for what it is - a guess to look back on in years to come. Like a ladder predation thread posters shouldn’t get wound up too much with posters opinion.

That’s also insane - imo.

And he does not like Sam Walsh.

Big Blue? Walsh at No. 1 would be a mistake

http://www.espn.com/afl/story/_/id/25220394/afl-draft-carlton-blues-mistake-sam-walsh-jack-lukosius

As a long-suffering Carlton fan, I am not losing any sleep over it.

Controversial headlines for clicks.

Yeah there were a few other contenders for pick 1, but in no way could you classify picking Walsh a 'mistake'...especially when majority of clubs said they'd have picked Walsh too.

And rating Bailey Smith as the best midfielder in the draft ahead of Walsh? I don't think any club had him higher than Walsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a nuffie trying to make controversial headlines for clicks.

Yeah there were a few other contenders for pick 1, but in no way could you classify picking Walsh a 'mistake'...especially when majority of clubs said they'd have picked Walsh too.

And rating Bailey Smith as the best midfielder in the draft ahead of Walsh? I don't think any club had him higher than Walsh.
Well Smith is the most complete inside / outside midfielder in the draft

KM had Reece McKenzie in the top 10 in one of his prediction threads.

Hype merchant.

Jeez what a poor post. Way to select one in litterally 100s as a reason to call a knowlegable poster a “hype merchant”.

How about going through every recruiter with all there resources. Everyone is a hype merchant.

Side note: I also believe it wasn’t a prediction thread and his personal talent ratings.

No problem with different opinions, but to suggest we've 'lost' the draft (as laughable as that notion is at this stage) on the back of picking the safe bet and consensus #1 pick is nothing short of laughable.

As is the suggestion Walsh has to be the best player in the draft class for this to not be a 'loss' for Carlton.

If Walsh develops into a terrific AFL footballer, only a fool would suggest it was a mistake by Carlton to pick him because someone picked later had the better career.

Thanks for the insight, again most likely on the back of very limited viewing.

It is amazing you have pigeon holed Walsh into something, when he has barely set foot in the AFL system.

One dimensional stat padder. Lord help me.

"Bang average" on the back of what volume of vision?

You've clearly ignored a number of factors to come to your conclusion, which is fine, but don't arc up when called out on this bullshit.

What if Stocker plays 300 games? You think we'll give a s**t that we downgraded a pick in 2019 to get him through the door?

What if the player Adelaide takes is a bust? What if the player Carlton takes is a gun?

What if the pick is traded in a package deal for someone like Josh Kelly?

Hypothetical situations are fun, aren't they?

As for your last comment, the clearest indication you're here to troll, and I suggest you move elsewhere if you want to go down that path.

Always a good laugh when someone talks down to people and is so confident about what they have to say even though they are clearly backing it off what has been fed to them.

Jeez what a poor post. Way to select one in litterally 100s as a reason to call a knowlegable poster a “hype merchant”.

How about going through every recruiter with all there resources. Everyone is a hype merchant.

Side note: I also believe it wasn’t a prediction thread and his personal talent ratings.

He's a hype merchant and he's terribly biased.

I select one because it's illustrative.

Check out his 2013 draft predictions for more evidence.

I like Knightmare's player analysis, and I also like that he is prepared to make his calls and stick with them. Sometimes a bit too rigidly (he's still running with the 'Lukosius is the best prospect ever shtick which I don't think held up this year') but at least he says interesting things.

But his draft grades are just silly. Basically, if a team differs from him on minor things, he jumps them down a lot, while also ignoring context, team needs and philosophies, etc. Like we get it - you think RCD should have been drafted 8th. But writing 'I would have drafted RCD' 12 consecutive times is overly simplistic and boring.

Basically, he's a good player analyst, but poor at looking at the bigger pixture

Just a question. What if Carlton finish last next year and crows win the flag. Carlton get pick 18 and crows get pick 1. Really bad trade yeah?

But then what happens if Stocker ends up playing in a flag(s) for Carlton? Is the trade a success?

More to the trade than what happens next year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

More likely the kid we pick at 2 next year will play in a flag over Stocker.

Winners due to pure personnel gained:
Gold Coast
GWS
Port Adelaide

Winners due to smart deals done:
Sydney
Adelaide

Losers due to dumb deals done:
Carlton

Carlton are kidding themselves...really.
They might get 5 or 6 wins but they aren't moving out of the bottom 6.
Whether we jump back up into the finals or not is unknown but I would expect if we dont have a horrid run with injuries that we'll be 5-10 placed.

Adelaide picked a couple of scrawny fit/fast players. I think its what we need, but by god they look small in comparison with some of the other draftees (Jones 180cm 77kg, McHenry 178cm 70kg)

If Some people are capable of having mature discussions about draft picks without trolling. Instead of getting sensitive and petulant ...

That ain’t you though ...

... so good luck with nailing Adelaide’s first next year when you struggle to get pick ones right.

... so don’t pretend it is.

That ain’t you though ...

... so don’t pretend it is.

To be fair that isnt mature nor immature.

He just stated a fact really. Blues fans confidence over this pick swap is quite hilarious.

Reminds me of last year when they were going to "jump up the ladder" and that 2nd round pick was going to blow out.
Is it ironic that its the pick 19 we got from Carlton that ended up back there?

To be fair that isnt mature nor immature.

He just stated a fact really. Blues fans confidence over this pick swap is quite hilarious.

Reminds me of last year when they were going to "jump up the ladder" and that 2nd round pick was going to blow out.
Is it ironic that its the pick 19 we got from Carlton that ended up back there?
No Carlton fans were tipping us to get better after losing Gibbs. It was always going to hurt us this year.

Most people thought us swapping 2nd rounders would be 'practically a 1st rounder' for 'practically a 3rd rounder. Ending up as just a 6 pick downgrade was far better than anyone would've expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back