Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m moving jobs within my agency. Which is nice and a change and all.

But I’ve been stuck all week with my replacement trying to do ‘handover’ of my role to some random spare wank lawyer brought in to replace me who is harbouring a deep resentment of me, the job, the agency and the world at large. I’m actually beginning to panic because I’ve got one more day to show this person stuff they will HAVE to start doing, independently on Monday or s**t hits fans and all, and I can’t seem to make any impression. I have literally no confidence that this moron will know what to do, even vaguely.

I seriously have spent three days having this type of convo:

PG: it’s important to monitor this inbox daily
Replacement: I have to do that?
PG: yes and when you are responding to enquiries you will...
Replacement: how will I know there is something to respond to?
PG: By monitoring the inbox. That’s why it’s important to keep track of it daily...
Replacement: I have to read the emails? Who tells me what to write back?
PG: I’ll show you how to search the system to locate the relevant information...
Replacement: I have to find the information?
PG: Yes but remember you may need to consult a subject expert. For example, if you need legal input you would request information from John...
Replacement: But he’s in Sydney.
PG: you can send a request by email.
Replacement: But how will I know I need information?
PG: when you can’t respond to the question.
Replacement: what is the question?
PG: the one that has been sent to this inbox. You need to monitor incoming requests daily.
The person seems genuinely shocked that they have to, you know, do some work.

Also seems like a congenital idiot.

How do we all feel about the election?
I'm brown which means I'm likely to be deported if Guy wins the election... so yeah, ALP for me :$.

As a value-added bonus I think Andrew's track record as far as infrastructure goes is pretty good (at least as far as metropolitan projects are concerned, no idea how our country folk view him), and he's clearly the more compassionate candidate of the major parties.

I’m moving jobs within my agency. Which is nice and a change and all.

But I’ve been stuck all week with my replacement trying to do ‘handover’ of my role to some random spare wank lawyer brought in to replace me who is harbouring a deep resentment of me, the job, the agency and the world at large. I’m actually beginning to panic because I’ve got one more day to show this person stuff they will HAVE to start doing, independently on Monday or s**t hits fans and all, and I can’t seem to make any impression. I have literally no confidence that this moron will know what to do, even vaguely.

I seriously have spent three days having this type of convo:

PG: it’s important to monitor this inbox daily
PG: yes and when you are responding to enquiries you will...
Replacement: how will I know there is something to respond to?
PG: By monitoring the inbox. That’s why it’s important to keep track of it daily...
Replacement: I have to read the emails? Who tells me what to write back?
PG: I’ll show you how to search the system to locate the relevant information...
Replacement: I have to find the information?
PG: Yes but remember you may need to consult a subject expert. For example, if you need legal input you would request information from John...
Replacement: But he’s in Sydney.
PG: you can send a request by email.
Replacement: But how will I know I need information?
PG: when you can’t respond to the question.
Replacement: what is the question?
PG: the one that has been sent to this inbox. You need to monitor incoming requests daily.
Ah Govt ... the memories ... the horrible, horrible memories.

When I was going on "long term leave" from my previous job (for 6 months, which was 12 months ago ...) I had to provide painstakingly detailed work process documentation on some of the tasks I performed, and systems that I was responsible for, the worst of which was some monthly reporting which was apparently incredibly important to another team. It required pulling info from 3 different sources, one was easy, another was easy but time consuming, and another was time consuming and really convoluted, but because I'm such a nice guy, I provided screen shots and detailed instructions for EVERY step, as well as ran my manager who would be taking over the responsibilities, through the process 3 seperate times, as well as held her hand in doing it herself another couple of times. The last time I went through it with her on my last day, as soon as she left, I turned to the person next to me and said "she didn't get a single bit of that!"

Fast forward a few months, I got a text from the person I used to sit next to, to thank me for the detailed instructions, as she was in the process of providing 6 months worth of reporting, as apparently the manager tried it once, but the figures didn't look right (meaning she did it wrong) so she just gave up on it all together. I wondered briefly why the team that always told me they were so important didn't kick up a fuss, until I remember that she managed them as well.

For a full term of government, the LNP talked about removing level crossings. As the election approached, they even made plans to remove a handful in the south east if they won after the ALP promised to remove 50 - 25 in each of the next two terms. Labor has removed 29 in four years, and the swiftness and decisiveness has shocked me. I live/work in the middle of six close crossings - four of them have been removed and the other two have been announced as amongst the next to go. The Metro Tunnel will help declutter the CBD, take cars off the road, and spread the in and outbound traffic throughout the district rather than within three stations. Nobody had discussed it for years, it had always been in the too hard basket. Labor bit the bullet and did it. Airport rail - this one is less certain, I still have my doubts it will get done, but they've made concrete plans and are keen to forge ahead. The Suburban Rail Loop - plunging this much time and money into a project that will take 30 years to build is brave in an election year, and I don't really see why it has to take so long, but Melbourne has always lacked an intersecting rail across our spider-grid and this would be huge. The solar farms and solar rebate have been terrific - getting people off the grid and divesting from fossil fuels. As I said, I'd never liked Labor, but these are enormously practical policies. Like him or loathe him, the last politician to be this decisive was Jeff Kennett.

Practical. Tick. Makes sense I guess, but a series of dot points with no downside or trade offs should look appealing. Funding and execution presumably TBC.

As far as empathetic policy goes - the list is long. ******* the vaccine naysayers off was a big plus, given the risk to vulnerable kids if we don't herd-immunise. Backing Safe Schools given it is pretty effective at protecting LGBTI kids has been great, particularly given the federal zealots like Tony have been trying to can it. Cutting stamp duty has helped people get into the market, and potentially contributed to prices coming down recently - but I admit the economics here are over my head. Not giving in to Dutton's rhetoric around immigrants being evil has been great. You have a bunch of Sudanese people in your state, protected by law as residents: do you A). try and help establish their communities and related amenities or B). start a scare campaign to ostracise them for cheap votes, leading to disenfranchisement and more crime. Jobs are thriving, Victoria has the highest job creation rate in the country over the past few years. Free kinder to come for three year olds should they win. A Royal Commission into the mental health sector will hopefully assist us in helping vulnerable people - given mental health problems don't discriminate by wealth, race, age or sex - and help guide the availability and distribution of funds. Oddly enough, Labor has even hired more frontline police than the previous LNP lot, not that the Libs want you to know it.

This stuff, less so. A lot of this is airy, fairy nonsense. Much prefer the government stick to the more tangible items and focus on infrastructure and economics. I vaguely recall reading a positive report on the Safe Schools schtick, but it was written by one of the people developing the program... unlikely they were going to deem it a failure for the scrap heap. Free kinder... guessing you mean free kindergarten or child care? Two schools of thought on that; not sure why people who don't have kids should be subsidizing people who do. People who want to utilize services can pay for them. As for a Royal Commission investigation into the mental health sector, I imagine that'll produce an expensive and long-winded report with a large number of recommendations that will achieve nothing, just like most other high profile inquiries.

The safe injecting house in Richmond is a big "empathetic" one for me personally: there's no question it's helped save lives but Guy will close it within a week if elected.
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...oom-in-a-week-if-elected-20181121-p50hcj.html

Anyway that's enough politics for one year for me :D
He'll build a multi-million dollar historic train museum though. Will get all those trainspotters off the rails to safely look at trains under supervision inside four walls. #priorities

The state is going to go broke if the ALP get the ability to rubber stamp everything.

Guy should leave though, he was to stubborn and negative for the people to even consider him

Yep, it's been noted, and efforts to correct have begun, but I've been exceedingly short on time the last few weeks with work, and other, paid projects.
Do a quick and dirty - stick a Groucho Marx glasses and cigar unit on him for now and we can regard it as temporary comic relief.

Seriously though, take your time. Whenever is plenty soon enough. After all this is the Melbourne board and if anyone on it hasn’t learned patience over the last decade then they must surely be an imposter.

I really love those graphics. We’re a lucky board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw 'Overlord' tonight. It was Saving Private Ryan meets The Walking Dead. Although I wouldn't call them zombies, more german experiments gone wrong that look like Bane from batman with super strength. Fun movie.

Headed out for a Holiday to Bright from good old Benalla town. Got to Wang, Alpine road closed. Turned back decided to go home rather than go up the Hume Freeway, and i'm pretty happy i did. Because i would have lost my car for certain

Headed out for a Holiday to Bright from good old Benalla town. Got to Wang, Alpine road closed. Turned back decided to go home rather than go up the Hume Freeway, and i'm pretty happy i did. Because i would have lost my car for certain
I have to drive it tomorrow and I'm slightly concerned.

I have to drive it tomorrow and I'm slightly concerned.
I wouldn't. The roads usually dry out pretty fast, but it's expected to rain until Saturday. I can't see the hume draining in that time, and the hume is usually the detour for the smaller roads

I wouldn't. The roads usually dry out pretty fast, but it's expected to rain until Saturday. I can't see the hume draining in that time, and the hume is usually the detour for the smaller roads
Yeah it might be a no-go til then. Particularly with where it's flooded - it's a pain in the arse to go around there, you've got to go west and the next closest non-flooded Murray crossing is Mulwala/Yarrawonga...assuming they don't get floods out there tonight.

Must be a good time of year for it. We're about to enjoy a cyclone in the next day or two, so we're practicing by losing power right now.

any of you *ers been to japan? what are some of the must does? and any tips you blokes n lady you could give me would be fanfukntastic

any of you ******s been to japan? what are some of the must does? and any tips you blokes n lady you could give me would be fanfukntastic
I have been to Japan, I went there 6 years ago on a school trip. We went to a few different cities including Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nagoya and Fukuoka. Also went to a small town called Yufuin, which is a small hot springs town. I'd recommend going to one of these hot springs towns. We didn't go to Tokyo unfortunately but I'd definitely go there next time I'm in Japan.

One of my favourite things about the country was the food. We ate a lot of Ramen noodles over there regardless of which city we were in and I recommend trying it. Miso flavoured ramen with pork was what I usually had at the various ramen restaurants in Japan. Also went to a restaurant, think it was in Kyoto where each table had a deep fryer in the middle and you could put whatever you wanted into the deep fryer. That was quite the experience and it's worth trying I reckon. We also went to Maccas a few times as we didn't always want to eat Japanese food on the trip. Plenty of fast food restaurants over there. Also many streets in Japan are scattered with Convenience Stores as well as vending machines storing Japanese drinks. We did a lot of walking, so my drink of choice from these vending machines was Pocari Sweat, which is a refreshing sports drink filled with electrolytes.

In terms of travel, we used the Shinkansen train to get to every city and town that was on our itinerary. It's comfortable and fast so I'd recommend using the Shinkansen when going to different cities. Because we used the train a lot, we all bought a Japan Rail Pass for two weeks so if you're going to do a lot of travel by train I'd buy one of those rail passes.

We went to Kyoto and Hiroshima first and both cities have plenty of shrines, temples and other historic s**t so if you're interested in that sort of thing then it's probably worth a visit. Nagoya was where I stayed with my host family and went to school for the week so there's not really much I can say about it in regards to what there is to do in the city. We then went to Yufuin, which was probably one of my favourite parts of the trip. The hot springs were great and everything in the town is pretty much within walking distance. It's a really nice place with a pretty chill vibe. Fukuoka was the last place we went to and we were only there for one night before we flew back to Melbourne. There's not really much for me to say about it but we did go to the Canal City Shopping Mall at night which was pretty sick and had plenty of cool shops, restaurants and other facilities.

So I was in Japan for about two weeks and overall I thought it was a pretty good trip. The food was a big highlight and probably one of my favourite parts of the trip. I reckon Japan is a place worth going to at least once and personally I would like to go again one day and if I do, I'd love to go to Tokyo.

any of you ******s been to japan? what are some of the must does? and any tips you blokes n lady you could give me would be fanfukntastic
I visit Japan every year.

Mostly I'm there to stock up on clothes and vinyl but outside of that, try: Naoshima, Piss Alley, Getting your international license and doing the Mario Kart thing (Tokyo), play the VR Mario Kart machine. Osaka is dope. Koenji for live music, Shinjuku for techno.

Stay on the JR line in Tokyo and close to Americatown in Osaka. Don't get a hotel (super expensive) get an AirBNB instead.

Also practice boozing, because boozing in Japan is really fun.

If you've got a fair amount of coin to spend, heading south of Tokyo to Hakone there is a mountain range full of high end onsens. Basically BnBs with hot spring baths. Local attractions and sights are amazing, and it seems to be an area a lot of local japanese head to.

I really loved Hiroshima. If you get down there, go find a place called Bar Alegre, its run by this guy called Osamu. He heads out to local tourist attractions on his days off to give the best advice to the people who visit his bar. Does some of the most high end cocktails I've ever had, and the man knows his whiskey. Gave me at least 6 free drinks as we discussed the varieties over a few hours. Has a tiny door to enter, his place is on Facebook..... of yeah and like all 1 man bars in Japan its in a skyscraper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back