Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
So we traded out pick 26 for a future 3rd > Picked Blakey up for 34, 39, 40 > Traded in pick 22 for future 2nd...

Essentially improved 4 spots this year by downgrading a future 2nd for future 3rd rounder AND didn't have to use it for Blakey... Bloody genius!

Mccartin will have to work extremely hard go get a game this year. Blakey will have his spot intitially imo

I don't think they will be fighting for the same spot as McCartin will be fighting for a position in the forward line against Reid and Blakey will be fighting for a position on the wing, or elsewhere in the midfield. We have to look at Blakey as a very tall midfielder in 2019 rather than a key forward.

I don't think they will be fighting for the same spot as McCartin will be fighting for a position in the forward line against Reid and Blakey will be fighting for a position on the wing, or elsewhere in the midfield. We have to look at Blakey as a very tall midfielder in 2019 rather than a key forward.
Imo he will start as a forward similar to heeney until he finds his feet/ builds fitness base up so he can run through the middle

Imo he will start as a forward similar to heeney until he finds his feet/ builds fitness base up so he can run through the middle

According to Beatson anyway they are thinking half forward, wing and even half back, so a bit of everywhere, though I hope like hell we try him in the guts too because I saw the footage of him as an in and under midfielder and he is bloody good at reading the play and getting the ball out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, 37 should not be worn again by any Sydney Swans player. There are enough numbers between 0 and 99 that certain numbers should be retired and left as one-player jumpers. Goodes is the best player in the Swans' history, no one else should wear the 37. (just my thoughts...)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back