2nds Swans Reserves 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone keeps forgetting that the player qualification rules make it almost impossible for the swans to win a neafl flag.
Didn't we lose grand finals to Brisbane 2013 + 2017 (same player qualification rules as us) and WSU Giants 2016 (same player qualification rules as us)?

Anyone familiar with Lachie Swaney? Always liked the look of him in the (admittedly brief) appearances in the NEAFL side, but never heard his name being floated around as anything more than a NEAFL fill-in. Don't know why?
Yep, familiar with Lachie.
Very good player.
Plays hard 100% of the time.
Being a part of this years 17s Academy group makes it hard...for them all.
Probably half the group played NEAFL, some several times, 3 even played in the GF!
They are a very talented group, with their group making up the majority of the u18 academy squad.
So will Lachie make the draft?
The question is more likely to be...
Will Rayner/Elam/McGrath/Barling/Watling/Cooper/Parkes or Thorne make it before him?
They are the top names that fill this grade

Last edited:
Very good player.
Probably half the group played NEAFL, some several times, 3 even played in the GF!
They are a very talented group, with their group making uo the majority of the u18 academy squad.
So will Lachie make tge draft?
Will Rayner/Elam/McGrath/Barling/Watking/Cooper/Parkes or Thorne make it before him?

Ellem is a really interesting one. 193cm and something like 107kg! And he was pretty quick from his brief NEAFL appearances.

Rayner and Barling I have read good things about.

Gulden looks very promising for 2020.

Ellem is a really interesting one. 193cm and something like 107kg! And he was pretty quick from his brief NEAFL appearances.

I agree.
I think you will be surprised at who stands out next year though.
A couple of the boys had injuries that kept them out of the spotlight and the nationals.
Others missed the big wraps from the 16s due to injuries.
Some big bodies with great skills and are tough will show up on all areas of the paddock.
I would hate to be in the GWS Academy when they play the Swans... big names to face the fire

Very good player.
They are a very talented group, with their group making up the majority of the u18 academy squad.
So will Lachie make the draft?
Will Rayner/Elam/McGrath/Barling/Watling/Cooper/Parkes or Thorne make it before him?
I’d add Doll, Martin and Kannan to that. We can argue about the order later :)

Must endorse the comment on Ellem. Could be an absolute beast. Hope he has the right attitude.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Also can add Adams too.
True. However, while the squad is very strong I suspect that the Swans have quite a short short-list for their drafting purposes. I think it’s Rayner, Parkes, Ellem and Barling who have gained entry into the AFL Academy for next season and I suspect one or more of that group might be considered. From what I’m hearing they do seem to be looking to taller players for next season.

Personally I think Thorne, Martin and McGrath are their equals and should be in the mix for the Swans or another team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. However, while the squad is very strong I suspect that the Swans have quite a short short-list for their drafting purposes. I think it’s Rayner, Parkes, Ellem and Barling who have gained entry into the AFL Academy for next season and I suspect one or more of that group might be considered. From what I’m hearing they do seem to be looking to taller players for next season.

Personally I think Thorne, Martin and McGrath are their equals and should be in the mix for the Swans or another team.
Granted.
The Allies Academy will help. But there is a lot of games to play, and observations to make.
They will make their own luck.
It's a brave person to select anything until all games are run and won.
Currently I would assume...
Ellem... Ruck=KPF 195cm
Rayner... KPB 189ish
Parkes... 2nd string to Rayner 187cm
Barling.. med fwd 185cm
McGrath.. inside mid 187cm
Kannan... mids 180cm
Martin... big booted half back... 175cm
Thorn.. small fwd/mid 175cm
A lot will depend on what the wish lists hold.
NEAFL games played by these guys were pretty good too.
But most of them are up around the 6ft2 mark atm, and possibly still growing.
If i were a one year contracted player, i would be nervous about the next draft with this crop coming through

Granted.
The Allies Academy will help. But there is a lot of games to play, and observations to make.
They will make their own luck.
It's a brave person to select anything until all games are run and won.
Currently I would assume...
Ellem... Ruck=KPF 195cm
Rayner... KPB 189ish
Parkes... 2nd string to Rayner 187cm
Barling.. med fwd 185cm
McGrath.. inside mid 187cm
Kannan... mids 180cm
Martin... big booted half back... 175cm
Thorn.. small fwd/mid 175cm
A lot will depend on what the wish lists hold.
NEAFL games played by these guys were pretty good too.
But most of them are up around the 6ft2 mark atm, and possibly still growing.
If i were a one year contracted player, i would be nervous about the next draft with this crop coming through
Absolutely agree about it being too early right now. I was just listing my personal favourites and where I see them at the moment. There’s no doubt that many things can change over the course of the Under 18s draft season. It’s going to be a very interesting season coming up :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back