Who should Have the Next Statue at MCG

Who should Have the Next Statue at MCG ?

• Tony Lockett

Votes: 61 26.4%
  • Wayne Carey

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Gary Ablett Snr

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • Anthony Koutifides

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • James Hird

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Ben Cousins

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • Other

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • Eddie McGuire

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Lou Richards

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Sam Newman

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Masher

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Peanut Man!

Like this ?

9162-EAB2-ABB4-42-C3-B183-108531-EC3846.jpg

Ricky Ponting Wayne Carey

No flag should rule out Ablett and Lockett
McGrath Gilchrist Ablett Jnr Franklin eventually

All fine athletes, but what did they each do AT THE MCG that was so significant?

All fine athletes, but what did they each do AT THE MCG that was so significant?
Ponting had 1338 runs (second most) at the G at an average of 58, with 4 centuries and 7 fifties, only Bradman has more scores over 50 there.

Ponting had 1338 runs (second most) at the G at an average of 58, with 4 centuries and 7 fifties, only Bradman has more scores over 50 there.

Sounds like he's a worthy candidate for consideration...what about the rest?

The point is that their record at the G is a huge part of the criteria.

I voted for Ben Cousins but I’m a bit worried that he would make every other statue look like a representation of a complete dud.

I voted for Ben Cousins but I’m a bit worried that he would make every other statue look like a representation of a complete dud.

Wearing a Richmond jumper no doubt.

After all, his deeds at the MCG are what matter, and a large number of his games there were for Richmond.

"Hot jam donut statue"

Fond memories of the G is grabbing a bag of those bad boys on the way out. Biting in a the top of your mouth peeling off

"Footy Record guy statue"

Part of the footy day experience. Hearing "RECOOOORD!!!" as you walked in was great as a kid.

If Clarko wins another flag then he'd have to be a chance down the track.

Wasnt the G used as a base or hospital or something for the Yanks in WW2? Maybe something along those lines?

8700-660253_148.jpg

Peter Hore's infamous 1997 sheninigans at Australia vs Iran WCQ will forever be (good or bad) a part of sporting folklore. Given some of the other names suggested in this thread, Hore has to be a chance :)

Honest question.
Why is there a statue of John Coleman at the MCG?
I realise he was a great player and was sadly cut down in his prime by injury... but he only ever played 10 times at the MCG and kicked just 42 goals there. I’m not questioning his ability, but I am about why in particular does he get an MCG statue. How is he worthy?

I have wondered the same...

The statue is not up in the concourse (with Warnie, Bradman, Matthews, Strickland, Cuthbert Renolds etc), but on one of the boulevards leading up to Jolimont. For memory, it also has a plaque saying it was commissioned by Tattersalls (Confirm?). Possibly not done by the MCC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially when mark of the century was taken in front of the biggest crowd of all time in a 44 point comeback after half time.

The Jezza statue should not be a part of the ring around the G. It should be by itself in a prominent position near the G and the statue should be three times as big as the others.

This was a seminal part of Australian history. This was the first time that immigrant Australians became mainstream in Aus society.

"Jesaulenko you beauty" is an iconic catchphrase that transcends club loyalty and seeped into the culture of Australia, to make Australia a more inclusive place.

Well said. I agree. How could this mark not be immortalised, mark of the century.. what comes before that? And a champion player. Rates in almost all top 10’s. I find it hard to believe that they haven’t done it yet although I hear he is a very private man who couldn’t care less about his football career. I heard an interview where he said “there are one hundred Jesaulenko’s playing right now” so maybe they have asked and he isn’t interested?

I have met him, he is a very humble man??

Michael Tuck
Ted Whitten
Polly Farmer
Bob Skilton
Robert Harvey

They should put one of Tony Lockett outside the Lockett end of Docklöands and one of Gordon Coventry outside the Coventry end.

Id like to see Perth kind of follow suite and introduce a champions walk near Optus Stadium with great WA athletes.

Straight off the bat in terms of footballers Id have a few of the following:
Polly Farmer
Barry Cable
Phil Matson
John Todd
Ross Glendenning
Peter Matera

Id like to see Perth kind of follow suite and introduce a champions walk near Optus Stadium with great WA athletes.

Straight off the bat in terms of footballers Id have a few of the following:
Polly Farmer
Barry Cable
Phil Matson
John Todd
Ross Glendenning
Peter Matera

TI, Mossy, Maurice & find a place for the Nicholas Elvis Winmar statue.

Back